Nitrox/Titanium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Titanium is only in the first stage, as most 1st stages weigh in at about 1 pound, the weight reduction from the use of titanium would be at most 2 to 4 oz.

For air travel you would be better off having an enema prior to going to the airport.

Now come to think of it, buying a titanium regulator is just like an enema for the wallet.

I did the research and Ti is absolutely no issue to EAN40. For that matter, many regulators are not rated to 100% oxygen but does not stop many people from using them in 100% O2 environments.

The Atomic Aquatics T2X is certainly lighter but since I normally carry on my regs I'm not too worried about the weight.

For me I wanted the best breathing reg on the market today and thats the T2X. Price was not an issue for me. Certainly there are great regulators for less money.

Show me a titanium regulator that is 100% oxygen compatible. Titanium is one of the absolutely worst materials to use for an oxygen regulator, something like 10 times more combustible than aluminum, which has caused many fires in home oxygen usage, and many aluminum oxygen regulators have been recalled over the years. Here is the result of using 80% with a titanium regulator.

NASA and the U.S. Navy has done much more research on this subject than I care to read and the bottom line is that neither of them use titanium regulators with high pressure oxygen service (>21%). And they could care less about the cost of stuff.

A while ago NASA had a video of titanium spontaneously combusting in an 8 psi pure oxygen environment.

If NASA saw any benefit from titanium regulators, they'd use them.

You people are aware that titanium and aluminum are both used in rocket fuel, right?

Show me a titanium regulator that is 100% oxygen compatible. Titanium is one of the absolutely worst materials to use for an oxygen regulator, something like 10 times more combustible than aluminum, which has caused many fires in home oxygen usage, and many aluminum oxygen regulators have been recalled over the years. Here is the result of using 80% with a titanium regulator.

Show me where a manufacturer claims its titanium regulator to be 100% O2 compatible? Using a regulator in an environment that far exceeds its design (80% O2) and people wonder why there's failure?

Hey, how about show me a brass or stainless steel regulator that's lighter than titanium? Damn, doesn't that sound like a stupid comparison?

Hey, how about show me a brass or stainless steel regulator that's lighter than titanium? Damn, doesn't that sound like a stupid comparison?

The previously quoted poster wasn't making a comparison.

Show me a titanium regulator that is 100% oxygen compatible. You people are aware that titanium and aluminum are both used in rocket fuel, right?

Seems like the picture shows a 1st stage with hoses attached. A different slant on that story you posted - http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/articles/AlTanks200008.shtml

Gotta watch those Aluminum rocket fuel tanks! There is no comparison between various combinations or powder and an Alloy. The propellent used by Spaceship One is Nitrous and Rubber which does not make my trip to the dentist dangerous - Like your statements, there is absolutely no relevance to a discussion of using a Ti reg to EAN40.

The magic property of Ti which protects itself against corrosion is a layer of oxidization. This surface cannot be polished to a mirror finish and as such, its unsuitable for high pressure oxygen rich environments like the inner workings of a 1st stage because of Friction.

Last edited:
...Using a regulator in an environment that far exceeds its design (80% O2) and people wonder why there's failure?

How aboutthis one? Seems they're saying 80% is ok, and that happens to be the same mix with the explosion. :shakehead:

If we're talking stupid, show me a diver who needs a titanium regulator to save weight but dives with lead or steel tanks anyway. Like previously mentioned, if you *need* to save a few ounces for the plane ride, keep your toothpaste or shampoo at home and buy it at your destination instead. The weight savings is about the same.

Really? Is that why he quoted the link on using 80% Nitrox on a regulator and it got set on fire?

I just read it again, and don't see the comparison (i.e. to brass or steel) you are suggesting he made. Rather, what I read is a post specifically about using titanium (and aluminum) regulators for high oxygen environments.

How aboutthis one? Seems they're saying 80% is ok, and that happens to be the same mix with the explosion. :shakehead:

Whats showing an M1 got to do with anything - Its uses Monel and not Ti in the first stage??

If we're talking stupid, show me a diver who needs a titanium regulator to save weight but dives with lead or steel tanks anyway.

Because you rent the lead weight belt at your destination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom