Nitrox >> Trimix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kriterian

Reaction score
I took my Nitrox class last night with four other folks at my local scuba shop Gypsy Divers in Raleigh, NC.

Two of the divers were buddies going on a trip to Bonaire that had free nitrox, another was a nice RN from a local hospital. The last person was the subject of this thread.

He was a nice, and very funny guy, from Romania. However, he plainly stated during the introductions that he didn't believe in Nitrox and probably wouldn't ever use it. Now I'm all for taking specialities for the heck of it, I may take the UW photography just to see if I like it. However, it struck me as odd that he would go through this non-diving dive training if he didn't plan to use it.

Everyone in the class immediately asked, "Why?", to which he responded that he was just taking the class as a stepping stone to trimix in the future. I know a little about trimix but I don't know enough to know if nitrox training is a requirement.

I was just wondering if anyone else considered it odd, or if it was the norm in some cases for people that knew they wanted to go straight into Tech diving? Also is there any link between nitrox and trimix?

Kriterian:
I was just wondering if anyone else considered it odd, or if it was the norm in some cases for people that knew they wanted to go straight into Tech diving? Also is there any link between nitrox and trimix?
*******yes he needs nitrox to get advance nitrox and then trimix. However there is always a place for Nitrox, even with a Trimix card. If the dive is not deep enough to warrant trimix, then for cost and sometimes safety reasons you might as well go with Nitrox. There are additonal risks with trimix which nitrox does not have.

In any case even if he is diving trimix he will most likely decompress partly on Nitrox

So in summary he was just posing

Albion:
He's a dick, yes he needs nitrox to get advance nitrox and then trimix. However there is always a place for Nitrox, even with a Trimix card. If the dive is not deep enough to warrant trimix, then for cost and sometimes safety reasons you might as well go with Nitrox. There are additonal risks with trimix which nitrox does not have.

In any case even if he is diving trimix he will most likely decompress partly on Nitrox

So in summary he was just posing

I figured as much, thanks for helping me verify it. Other than that he seemed like a nice guy.

Just out of curiosity is that you in your avatar pic or something from a TV show or movie? Every time I see it, it rings some sort of bell but I can't place it.

Kriterian:
....Just out of curiosity is that you in your avatar pic or something from a TV show or movie? Every time I see it, it rings some sort of bell but I can't place it.

That is "Rimmer" the hologram out of the cult TV series Red Dwarf. If it is Albion he must be the actor that plays Rimmer (unlikely, I'd have to say).

If he's going to dive trimix, it's pretty likey that he'll use nitrox whether he knows it or not. Typically we use nitrox (or at least some mis with an FO2 above 21%) and/or pure O2 for decompression during a trimix dive.

If he doesn't believe in using nitrox he's going to have a hard time reconciling the decompression methods he's going to be taught.

Kriterian:
I figured as much, thanks for helping me verify it. Other than that he seemed like a nice guy.

Just out of curiosity is that you in your avatar pic or something from a TV show or movie? Every time I see it, it rings some sort of bell but I can't place it.

Yes it is Rimmer, i like it for two reasons
He has a silly H on his forhead so he looks like a halcyon product.

And its a funny show, Dave Lister would not make a good avatar tho.

Oh and Rimmer adherance to ****** rules and regulations also kind of reminds me of the DIR Forum. :11: :11: :11: :11: :11ztongue

Kriterian:
........He was a nice, and very funny guy, from Romania. However, he plainly stated during the introductions that he didn't believe in Nitrox and probably wouldn't ever use it. Now I'm all for taking specialities for the heck of it, I may take the UW photography just to see if I like it. However, it struck me as odd that he would go through this non-diving dive training if he didn't plan to use it........

Every once in a while you meet a "diver" like that, most likely more of a BSer than a diver. Those are the guys you follow at a distance and laugh at.
As for the UW photo speciality, you should come join us at the UW photographers group meeting. It's free and you will learn as much or more than in a class. You missed a good one on Sunday. We had 3 SBers there so we were well represented. Even if you don't have a camera you are welcome to join in. I would be happy to lend you my camera for a test drive.

If he doesn't like Nitrox, what's he breathing now? Regular air is Nitrox so at what percentage does he become a non-believer?

Gary D. :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom