Nitrox vs Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do use 25% on deeper dives to 150 ft, but mostly because it's readily and cheaply available from topping off used tanks (700psi) of 36%. The difference is not all that great compared to air but is significant on deeper and longer deco dives.
[quote/]

Da Aquamaster, I think you are right. As I said, I have 140 dives, but less than 10% below 30m. And also I never have problems at my first dive, but usually when we have 5 or 8 dives in a row. So, off course I needed to say all things in a extreme way to all people gets the point, but I would use this trick very carefully. I have nitrox trainning, but I dove only twice using EAN, because the extra cost and also because usually I don`t need it to extend my bottom time, but to avoid mosquito conservatism.

Before I started "tricking" the computer and creating my own custom algorythms, I would strongly suggest the following:

1. Learning about decompression diving/NDLs/Deep Stop Techniques/O2 and Nitrogen under pressure. There are many advanced deep and advanced nitrox classes which will instruct you on extending your bottom time.

2. Check my current computer's Personal Adjustment Setting to see if I can run on a more aggressive but tested algorythm. Theoretically, the people who program these algorythms are smarter than the average diver (God, I hope so :05: ). For the mosquito, you can learn about this at http://www.aqualung.com/technical_library/Mosquito-ENG.pdf (PDF File Page 57)

3. Compare algorythms between manufacturers and see which one fits your diving better. In some cases, the Oceanic model may be better suited for your diving profiles.

4. If you dive regularly with certain buddies, you should try to dive similar algorythms and coordinate computer usage/purchase.

Personally, the only time I adjust my O2 Level is when I have analyzed the gas and witnessed it to be that specific blend. I would strongly recommend doing the same.

Just my two cents ... Hope this helps.

jcf

scubajcf:
..snip..
2. Check my current computer's Personal Adjustment Setting to see if I can run on a more aggressive but tested algorythm. Theoretically, the people who program these algorythms are smarter than the average diver (God, I hope so :05: ). For the mosquito, you can learn about this at http://www.aqualung.com/technical_library/Mosquito-ENG.pdf (PDF File Page 57)
..snip..
Just like the Vyper, which I use, you can go even more conservative but not more aggressive.
Just to compare, I have a Vyper and a Beuchat Maestro Pro (made by Cochran under OEM). To make them align on most dives I need to set the Cochran to at least 20% additional conservatism.
I also know one diver that has been in the chamber 3 times due to diving the Cochran to its limit on its 0% conservative setting.

Walter:
You're under the mistaken impression that computers are safer than tables...

...Yes, it is significant. If you are contemplating using your computer at a higher O2 setting than what is actually in the gas you are using, you're likely to get bent. I'll dive with just about anyone. If I knew someone was going to pull such a stunt, I wouldn't dive with them.

Walter, as I don't know how to split answer likw you, please let me give a estensive explanation....

I am sure tables are safer than computers, but tell me if you do square profiles 100% of the time, I would be surprise if you follow your plan more than 20% of the cases. So I believe tables must be used by tec divers, not by recreative divers.
About using the most conservative computer...try this in a drift dive wich 10 divers. I would follow de divemaster that have always been diving in that location, and I can assure you I 've never found a Dive master whoose computer was more conservative than mine.
I 've tried to say that with 24% O2, I 've matched the dive master (more liberal) computer.
And finally, if you are using a computer more liberal than mine, we do exactly the same profile and at the end my computer asks by 20minutes deco and yours asks 10min, who will be bent? If we assume that we can't prove that a more liberal computer will drives you bent, how can we manage that? Because if you can prove...I guess we could see a lot of prosecutes against this factorys.

scubajcf:
Before I started "tricking" the computer and creating my own custom algorythms, I would strongly suggest the following:

1. Learning about decompression diving/NDLs/Deep Stop Techniques/O2 and Nitrogen under pressure. There are many advanced deep and advanced nitrox classes which will instruct you on extending your bottom time.

3. Compare algorythms between manufacturers and see which one fits your diving better. In some cases, the Oceanic model may be better suited for your diving profiles.

4. If you dive regularly with certain buddies, you should try to dive similar algorythms and coordinate computer usage/purchase.

Personally, the only time I adjust my O2 Level is when I have analyzed the gas and witnessed it to be that specific blend. I would strongly recommend doing the same.

Just my two cents ... Hope this helps.

jcf

Scubajcf, I enjoyed this discussion because most of the people contributed to my better understanding of this situation. I could go directly to the books and decide what is better to me, but this forum concentrates experiences I've never had.

I read Tec Deep manual of PADI and almost gave up diving, but chances are that I am going to die stressed by my boss before doing 40m dives. Of course I could die diving 3m down, but I will take the risk.

My profile :
- SAC around 9-10 SLM - single dives are not the problem, but 4 or 5.
- 90% of the dives, I have a different buddy that I meet on the boat.
- Because that I did my rescue trainning.
- I use the mosquito in the most liberal algorithm possible.
- And I got a error twice at the last two dive trips, whit 10 dives each, the first one was at the last dive, but the last one I got error at the 5th dive (Cozumel) and for nothing I would be out of water 48h waiting for mosquito allow me, when the DM (who I've followed closely) dives everyday at the same condition for years without getting bet.
Life is risky and as many instructors use to say, is easyer get hurt playing bowling than diving (into the recreational limits).

mattboy:
Getting back to the original question of "fooling" the computer, I would agree with the more experienced divers that it can't be a good idea. As long as you have sufficient gas supply, what's wrong with just following the deco obligation, as it's likely that the required stop will be very similar to a safety stop, and as posted before, could very well clear with proper ascent rate anyway.
When doing intentional decompression diving I use tables derived for the dive with Dplan on my Palm, which uses a much more conservative bubble gradient model incorporating deep stops. But I still use my computer in dive mode as by the time I clear the longer and deeper deco stops required by DPlan, the nitrogen loading graph is normally back in the green.

And you make a good point, decompression is decompression. Whether it requires a formal deco stop, a "recommended" safety stop, or just an ascent rate at less than 30 or 60 fpm, you are off gassing on the way up. If you slow your ascent and extend your stops so that the computer is back in the green after the deco stop, safety is going to be the same as if you just dove with in the NDL's and exited in the same block of the green. (Assuming of course that the computer's algorthym is applicable to and suitable for intentional decompression diving.)

The issues that arise however are that the stop is no longer optional and that losing bouyancy control, running out of gas, or lacking redundancy in the event of a regulator failure are not acceptable options.

emelotto:
Walter, as I don't know how to split answer likw you, please let me give a estensive explanation....

It's easy, just highlight the text and click on the quotation symbol at the top. To indicate who said it, type "=name" after "quote" inside the [] brackets. Always make sure you have a close quote "/qute" inside [] for every begin quote. Preview your post to double check.

emelotto:
I am sure tables are safer than computers,

Not necessarily.

emelotto:
but tell me if you do square profiles 100% of the time, I would be surprise if you follow your plan more than 20% of the cases.

I plan most of my dives with a computer. I stopped using tables for most dives almost 20 years ago.

emelotto:
So I believe tables must be used by tec divers, not by recreative divers.

Poor choice of terms.

emelotto:
About using the most conservative computer...try this in a drift dive wich 10 divers. I would follow de divemaster that have always been diving in that location, and I can assure you I 've never found a Dive master whoose computer was more conservative than mine.

If you're not happy with it, get a different computer.

=emelottoI 've tried to say that with 24% O2, I 've matched the dive master (more liberal) computer.

No two divers ever have exactly the same profile.

emelotto:
And finally, if you are using a computer more liberal than mine, we do exactly the same profile and at the end my computer asks by 20minutes deco and yours asks 10min, who will be bent?

No two divers ever have exactly the same profile, but for discussion's sake are you assuming we skip deco? Assuming exactly the same profile (impossible, IMO), one of us will be more likely to get bent than the other, but that will come from factors such as fitness, hydration, did one of us exert ourself during or after the dive, did one of us sit in a hot tub, is one of us older than the other, did you drink coffee (I never do).......... The more of these factors stacked againsty you, the more conservative you want to be. Decompression theory is exactly that - theory. There are things we can do to increase or decrease our chances of getting bent. A more conservative table or computer will decrease our odds of DCS, but will not eliminate them.

emelotto:
If we assume that we can't prove that a more liberal computer will drives you bent, how can we manage that? Because if you can prove...I guess we could see a lot of prosecutes against this factorys.

I have no idea what you mean by this.

I think he is just noting overall that you can have two computers on the same profile and have one call for deco and have one say it is ok to surface.

When I first got a new computer the old one went along as backup and for comparision purposes. The newer and more liberal computer was ok with a direct ascent on many dives while the old computer often wanted a 1 to 3 minute deco stop. Of course the new computer also more or less mandated a 3 minute stop at 20 feet on all dives below 30 ft to add extra safety to the "liberal" algorthym, so it is pretty safe to say that while it would allow you to skip the stop and ascend without going into violation mode, it was not "safe" to do so.

The last part of his statement I think refers to the fact that deco theory is just that and that there are so many variables that we cannot tell for sure what will be 100% safe for all divers in all situations. Consequently all computers (and tables for that matter) involve some degree of risk. The only thing you can do is be smart about it, understand what is at work and the limitations of the theory and then adjust your personal level of conservatism accordingly based on how you feel after each dive. If you are feeeling overly fatigued, achy or have flu like symptoms, your body is probably telling you to back off a bit and offgas more conservatively.

In my opinion the availablilty of a nitrogen loading bar graph on the computer is a great asset to have, and not surfacing until you are in the green is a very wise practice to follow regardless of what brand of computer you have.

And one last time, if you worry about having to quit first due to a conservative computer, just move up to 32% nitrox. For example on a 110 ft dive, you would have an NDL of 15 minutes on air but would have 25 minutes on 32%. That extra 10 minutes is more time than what your buddies will be granted by their more liberal computers. At shallower depths, the differences get even greater with nearly 20 minutes more bottom time allowed at 70-80 ft.

dougaldiver:
If YOU want to dive less conservatively get a different computer. If it's just pressure from the people you dive with be less conservative get different buddies.

I second such statement.

If your dive computer's conservative NDL bothers you, you should consider replacing it rather than working around it. And if it bothers your buddy, I will certainly choose someone else to dive with.:05:

emelotto:
Thanks by your answer, but one point botters me...
Let say that I buy another computer, don`t you think that I am doing exactly the same, which means, changing the algorithm in order to get extra bottom time?

Well, changing this in the same computer or in other one to me sounds equal! Don`t you? Off course we need to be coherent, nobody should put 32EAN in the computer and dive air. I agree with most of you that say to not trick the computer, specially if you don`t know how this trick will affect it`s operation, but I won`t expent any money to buy a liberal computer if I could understand and change my own computer.

First, making changes in paremeters to one model may yeild similar times for another model over a small range but that is not guarenteed over the entire range. Its that lack of complete knowledge of the entire range that should scare you. (Think very agressive no stop times in some repetive dives that no other 'liberal' model may give for instance)

In reality, your best bet is to do one of two thing. The first and best choice is to dive nitrox. It will give you everything you asked for. The second option is to buy a computer with a different deco model. (IE more liberal).

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom