No-chumming shark diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've gotten a couple deep dives under my belt, as it was required for my AOW, but of coarse I want to get even more.

*~ Adventurer for life ~*

---------- Post added January 4th, 2014 at 02:45 AM ----------

What are the best wrecks off NC coast to dive in terms of visibility and health of coral??

North Carolina is well north of the coral belt for CONUS. Coral peters out around The north end of Broward county....

All the older wrecks out there have growth on them. Vis is good most of the time, but can get 20 or less at times. September and October usually brings the 100 foot plus vis.

All the older wrecks out there have growth on them. Vis is good most of the time, but can get 20 or less at times. September and October usually brings the 100 foot plus vis.

Will definitely keep that in mind!

An easy drive for you are the wrecks of North Carolina in the summer with Sand Tigers. This time of year the Lemons are in Jupiter, FL. I recommend the Jupiter Dive Center. Although chumming is illegal in Florida, some boats are spearfishing reef fish, including angelfish and other tropical to attract sharks. It isn't hard to figure out who that operator is.... For the more adventurous, we offer a summer trip to Cay Sal bank, well known for being sharky. We'll be going third week in August this year.

Now that Abernethy operates Wet Temptations they run shark dives a couple times a week or so out of West Palm, they get further than 3 miles off the Florida coast so they can chum the water (though I don't think they chum the water on every dive).

Chumming is different than shooting reef fish to attract sharks. I have nothing against chumming as long as all participants know it's a chum dive. Teaching sharks to be attracted to spear fishermen is stupid IMHO.

In the fall you could visit the sharks at the Farallon Islands. Others talk about nurse sharks and sand tigers, but to be really impressed you should visit the Farallon's.

"The seasonal shark population at the Farallones is unclear, with estimates from thirty to one hundred. The Farallones are unique in the size of the great whites that are attracted. The average length of a full-grown great white shark is 4 to 4.8 metres (13.3 to 15.8 ft), with a weight of 680 to 1,100 kilograms (1,500 to 2,450 lbs), females generally being larger than males. Farallon great whites range between the "smaller" males at 13 ft (4.0 m) to the females which generally range between 17 ft (5.2 m) to 19 ft (5.8 m)"

French Polynesia guaranteed sharks to blow your mind...just not top dive who do baited dives.

you can dive just about any oil/gas rig in the gulf any day of the week and see sharks. chumming/fishing you will definitely see more but they are always there chum or not

Back
Top Bottom