No-chumming shark diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe not the sharks you might be thinking of (remember there are a whole lot more out there than requiem sharks!) but if you head to the NSW coast (Jervis Bay in particular) in August/September you are guaranteed to see lots of Port Jacksons and depending where you are a fair few Wobbegongs, Crested Horn and Blind sharks as well, on some dives I saw well over 100-150 PJ's.

if you get a chance, dive at some oil rigs in the gulf. i haven't had a chance to dive any rigs yet as i just got certified last week. but i have fished alot at oil rigs and catch sharks very frequently so seeing some should be fairly common

I'm with diversteve and giffenk, my son and I saw Reef Sharks on nearly every dive off West Caicos and French Cay. Some stayed with us quite a while, others were skittish. These two swam in and out of the cut in the reef at Boat Cove, West Caicos with us for about 20 minutes
Old Shark and Big Shark - YouTube

I've never tried it, since I spearfish and don't want too many sharks around, but crunching a plastic soda (pop) bottle is supposed to bring them in and you're not using food, Of course, you'll have to be in an area that has sharks to begin with….
I've always wondered how that worked. Perhaps the sound wave frequency of the crunching resembles a trembling, stressed or dying fish?

I'm surprised you haven't seen any sharks around since you spear fish... That attracts them.

*~ Adventurer for life ~*

I'm surprised you haven't seen any sharks around since you spear fish... That attracts them.

Yep, it does. We see them and lose a fish to them on occasion. There are a couple spots where you get one of two fish and have to leave.

Am I the only one who doesn't find watching sharks swimming along minding their own business all that stimulating? That's what the sand tigers in NC appeared to be doing when I saw them on a wreck dive--circling around dozens of feet above us. To me, with the exception of whale sharks, great whites, hammerheads and other rarer species, they just look like gray hulks, not pretty like reef fish, and you can rarely get very close to them (except on a shark dive, which is the point here). The most interesting feature of a shark to many of us is that mouth full of razor-sharp teeth and their behavior when feeding. I have to admit that what interests me is seeing sharks feed, and to do that, you either have to chum/feed the sharks or be in something like the Sardine Run. I am ambivalent about so-called "shark dives," but just watching reef sharks and the like minding their own business isn't of much interest to me.

I love watching them. They are so graceful! I'm just fascinated by them, not just their feeding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom