No CLT flights for CZM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That means you get to stay in Cozumel! Right?! Just joking.
sorry to poke fun, but I have NEVER understood flights in and out of Charlotte to Cozumel. People connecting thru CLT to CZM can fly cheaper than we can originating in CLT to CZM.
Good luck

That means you get to stay in Cozumel! Right?! Just joking.
sorry to poke fun, but I have NEVER understood flights in and out of Charlotte to Cozumel. People connecting thru CLT to CZM can fly cheaper than we can originating in CLT to CZM.
Good luck
You are absolutely right! I should just get a one way ticket and fuggidaboutit. 😆

The CLT to CZM route is a legacy USAir route. Typically it is run on Saturday only. AA had always reduced service from mid August until sometime in October / November to Cozumel and Cancun, these are primarily tourist destinations and this is the height of hurricane season. For some reason a lot of folks who need to plan their vacation 9 to 12 months in advance are unwilling to risk booking during this period, I know it’s pretty narrow minded and selfish of them. The CLT to CZM route this year is not being run from 8/12 til 10/08, according to the current schedule.

The CLT to CZM route is a legacy USAir route. Typically it is run on Saturday only. AA had always reduced service from mid August until sometime in October / November to Cozumel and Cancun, these are primarily tourist destinations and this is the height of hurricane season. For some reason a lot of folks who need to plan their vacation 9 to 12 months in advance are unwilling to risk booking during this period, I know it’s pretty narrow minded and selfish of them. The CLT to CZM route this year is not being run from 8/12 til 10/08, according to the current schedule.
Thanks very much for the insight.

I am not an airline CEO, but IMO the decisions to fly or not to fly certain routes at certain times of the year are made for economic reasons. If the market is there they will service it.

I am not an airline CEO, but IMO the decisions to fly or not to fly certain routes at certain times of the year are made for economic reasons. If the market is there they will service it.
Definitely done for economic reasons , but one thing I have noticed is that it is also the relative economics(not just absolute economics) that also drive some of the schedules. The airlines have a fixed number of planes and personnel—sometimes you will see things that are slightly odd if you look at Cozumel in isolation but make more sense when you think about the broader airline market. Especially when business travel dominated airline profitability pre-pandemic , sometimes it seemed like United tended to service Cozumel on days when business demand in the US was low (Wednesdays and Saturdays ). For the fall period , demand for Cozumel travel is low due hurricane season and kids being back in school (as people noted ), but I also think business travel in the US tends to pick back up when the kids return to school.

None of what I said is particularly important , just something to think about when you are scratching your head about why an airline is doing something.

Definitely done for economic reasons , but one thing I have noticed is that it is also the relative economics(not just absolute economics) that also drive some of the schedules. The airlines have a fixed number of planes and personnel—sometimes you will see things that are slightly odd if you look at Cozumel in isolation but make more sense when you think about the broader airline market. Especially when business travel dominated airline profitability pre-pandemic , sometimes it seemed like United tended to service Cozumel on days when business demand in the US was low (Wednesdays and Saturdays ). For the fall period , demand for Cozumel travel is low due hurricane season and kids being back in school (as people noted ), but I also think business travel in the US tends to pick back up when the kids return to school.

None of what I said is particularly important , just something to think about when you are scratching your head about why an airline is doing something.
And don't try to reconcile a fare with the length of a flight. ;^)

And don't try to reconcile a fare with the length of a flight. ;^)
Just no on ious rhyme or reason. It has always been more expensive to fly direct from CLT to CZM than to connect from my home airport if TRI (NE Tenn). But last time I booked, it was cheaper from CLT direct!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

"I don't understand why but, American has no Charlotte flights back from CZM on Aug 20th. Crazy"
Except for the 12:30 PM departure to an Austin connection, arriving at 9:55 PM
Or the 4:20 PM PM departure to a DFW connection, arriving at 11:59 PM
Or the 1:03 PM departure to an MIA connection, arriving at 9:55 PM; there are variations on that one - either with less than two hours or more than five in MIA but why would anyone want those?

So what are you whining about?

1649007957663.png

Back
Top Bottom