no din in bonaire.......?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the problem isnt the regs its the cylinder valves.
i would imagine it would cost quite a lot for shops to swop valves for the more recent valves that can be used on either din or yoke.

yokes are rated to 232 bar.
din are rated to 300 bar
it's a bit obvious which are the best.

anyway not wanting to use an adapter i have swopped out my din for a yoke for the holidays.

a couple of the tech shops have din but for some reason these are not available for back gas .

anyway 2 weeks to go and depite the din/yoke thing i'm still looking forward to a bit of jeep diving.

I'm with you Mala - I want DIN where I dive. I also want h.p. steel cyls. of larger vol. ( 120's are fine ). I just got back from Coz. & had no trouble finding what I needed ( Jim Baldwin is right-on-the money with his info. ). My biggest concern with the yoke connection is o-ring extrusion/failure ( admittedly, this problem is statistically rare ), this possibility is eliminated with the "captured" o-ring feature of a DIN connection.

If more folks make noise about this, I'm sure the ops. will respond, hopefully sooner than later.

Regards,
DSD

I'm with you Mala - I want DIN where I dive. I also want h.p. steel cyls. of larger vol. ( 120's are fine ). I just got back from Coz. & had no trouble finding what I needed ( Jim Baldwin is right-on-the money with his info. ). My biggest concern with the yoke connection is o-ring extrusion/failure ( admittedly, this problem is statistically rare ), this possibility is eliminated with the "captured" o-ring feature of a DIN connection.

If more folks make noise about this, I'm sure the ops. will respond, hopefully sooner than later.

Regards,
DSD

check your tank o-ring before each dive and carry this.....25 x Thin O-Ring #R014 for Tank Valve

tragedy averted

I recently got 100 viton -014 o-rings for about $12 shipped for our upcoming trip to Bonaire...

If you're using a DIN reg you should also take a spare DIN O ring as they would be more difficult to find in the Caribbean. They also deteriorate and tend to leak in time.

in addition to the dreaded yoke valved tanks, you'll be stuck diving AL 80 tanks, not the nice big steels you're probably used to back home.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2012 at 01:14 PM ----------

If you're using a DIN reg you should also take a spare DIN O ring as they would be more difficult to find in the Caribbean. They also deteriorate and tend to leak in time.

if you want to buy really 'tough' DIN O-rings: Oxygen Compatible O-Rings, Lubricant and Tools - Dive Gear Express [h=3]Polyurethane 112 O-ring, white, package of five (DIN)[/h]

check your tank o-ring before each dive and carry this.....25 x Thin O-Ring #R014 for Tank Valve

tragedy averted

Problem is, even a "checked" o-ring has the potential to fail ( again, highly unlikey, though I've seen it happen in the pool & offshore...), so having a spare in your kit, while always a must, won't do you much good @ 100'. The DIN connection makes this remote possibility a non-issue.

Regards,
DSD

Problem is, even a "checked" o-ring has the potential to fail ( again, highly unlikey, though I've seen it happen in the pool & offshore...), so having a spare in your kit, while always a must, won't do you much good @ 100'. The DIN connection makes this remote possibility a non-issue.

Regards,
DSD

Dan,

I agree with you, it has the potential. However, like you said it is unlikely and we would be getting in the rabbit hole of the "what ifs"

While I dive DIN, anytime I've had an issue with a yoke valve o-ring either I caught it before I put my reg on, or once I opened the valve it was obvious.

I'd say take spare o-rings of whatever type of reg you dive with, and do not over-think your vacation, have fun.

I would say either get the adapter or get DIN tanks. Six of one and half dozen of the other. When i get a reg set, i think i am going to go DIN and get an adapter for when i run into a yoke situation. I prefer to be able to dive than make a huge fuss on something that is really a non-issue. If you have a problem with the resort no having DIN it is your issue not thiers. Yoke valves are easier for them to maintain given the number of tanks they have and the amount of abuse the tank will get. Plus, most divers who are not tech divers will likely have a yoke regulator set up.

Back
Top Bottom