no din in bonaire.......?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul:
The yoke is . . . rated for a max of 3000-3442 psi while the DIN O ring design is rated to 5000 psi.
the problem isnt the regs its the cylinder valves. yokes are rated to 232 bar. din are rated to 300 bar it's a bit obvious which are the best.
This discussion is similar to the argument about which automobile is best, based on rated top speed. One car can reach 180 mph, the other can reach 120 mph. Which one is 'best'? For the vast majority of driving conditions around the world, it doesn't matter.

Almost all of my regs (and all of my tanks) are DIN. My first reg was DIN. I prefer DIN. And, I would be delighted if the world was entirely DIN. But, for recreational diving yoke valves and regs work just fine, irrespective of the statistically higher (but functionally meaningless) possibility of an O-ring failure, and arguing about which is 'best' seems . . . .

If you are going to Bonaire, you can spend your time seeking out the few places that have DIN tanks available (and Buddy Dive was NOT one of those as recently as last September, even though they have been saying for several years that they were going to add some tech equipment to their inventory). Or, you can spend your time diving with a yoke tank. It is up to you, but I prefer the latter. The first three times I went there, I took a DIN-to-yoke adaptor. I don't really like them - as you said it is literally a pain in head for BM diving. The fourth time, I converted my DIN single tank reg to yoke (took less than 60 seconds) before leaving, and back again after I got home.

I don't think the availability of yoke valves in the Caribbean has anything to do with not 'wanting' Europeans to dive there (and I usally see a lot of Europeans diving when I am on Bonaire), rather it is the demograhic mix of people that actually come there, and what they are more likely to dive. If there was any sense of business really being lost because of the lack of availability of DIN tank valves, I suspect more would become available.

I have always been curious about the whole "DIN vs Yoke" thing. Can somebody explain the pros/cons of each system... I already got one con for DIN...hard to find rentals! :wink: But are there any advantages to DIN or special need for it? I've always used Yoke style myself. There must be something...I'm amazed after all these years, they haven't standardized to one system.

I have always been curious about the whole "DIN vs Yoke" thing. Can somebody explain the pros/cons of each system... I already got one con for DIN...hard to find rentals! :wink: But are there any advantages to DIN or special need for it? I've always used Yoke style myself. There must be something...I'm amazed after all these years, they haven't standardized to one system.

...and yet your profile says : Dives: I'm a Fish! a real 'Fish' would already know the answer.....

I would agree with everyone that said DIN is not the best choice for rental use. When you go to Bonaire, and see the condition of the yoke valves, you will understand very quickly why they are yoke.

Buddy's Dive Resort has DIN tanks, but they are doubled up, and their AL40s are also DIN.

If you reg is DIN, then do what the other 99.99% of us do: 1) use a DIN Adapter, or 2) convert your DIN reg to yoke for travel. All of my regs are DIN when I use my tanks, and when I travel, I swap DIN connector for Yoke connector; takes about 1 minute to do.

I personal could care less of what kind of valves a dive resort has when I travel. All I care about they have tanks ready at my disposal for unlimited shore diving, whether it's air or nitrox.

Buddy's Dive Resort has DIN tanks, but they are doubled up, and their AL40s are also DIN.
So, apparently they have finally gotten some doubles, and since last Fall. What size cylinders do they have? They have been saying for several years they wanted to offer some tec gear.

On a 'recreational' dive trip, I always bring (2) complete reg sets, (1) is yoke 1st stage, (1) is DIN 1st stage with yoke 'spin-on-adapter', that way I have reg redundancy and the ability to handle whatever type tank I encounter.

The o-ring thing is not 'functionally meaningless'. When I go somewhere to dive, I want to dive, not dick with equipment. I was in Thailand a few years back doing a boat dive. We were all in the water ready to go when "POP", a yoke o-ring blew. Poor girl had to get back on the boat to fix it, and ended up losing a dive over it (time contraints). Same thing happened a few times when I was working in the Keys. Its silly to waste time/ dives on a suboptimal configuration.

A DIN reg with a yoke adapter is a reasonable solution if you can't get DIN tanks at your location, as is swapping to yoke if you have the parts/ knowledge to do so. But I think we'd be living in a better world if everyone just went to DIN :)

Last week at Buddy dive only had one tank where the o-ring was so bad we couldn't get a good seal on it. Had a couple where the valve was slightly bent and had to live with a small leak. If they were DIN the valve probably would have been unusable. Also...not all DIN adapters are created equal. The one I was using could get a good seal on some valves where the adapter on my wife's tank couldn't.

So, apparently they have finally gotten some doubles, and since last Fall. What size cylinders do they have? They have been saying for several years they wanted to offer some tec gear.

How much ya wanna bet they're doubled AL 80's ? Steels are too expensive for most rental situations, and they just can't survive the abuse and salt water exposure like AL can.

Back
Top Bottom