no din in bonaire.......?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a reality check, Yoke is still by far more popular than DIN. Not one is better than the other argument. Just one is more popular

Just a reality check, Yoke is still by far more popular than DIN. Not one is better than the other argument. Just one is more popular

If that was true technical divers would use each type equally, but they don't. They use DIN, which is a more secure connection.

QUOTE=Hatul;6328854]If that was true technical divers would use each type equally, but they don't. They use DIN, which is a more secure connection.[/QUOTE]

True for tech diver. But if you consider all the dives go on everyday, do you think more yoke or din regs/tanks are being use? If Yoke is so bad and being use more often, why dont we hear more issues.

The fact is bonair is a vacation spot, how many tech divers and how many vacation divers they serve? make sense to have yoke tank.

My question to non-tech divers is what advantage does DIN offers in recreation dives? I can think of and witness one disadvantge. Din to yoke converter enable DIN reg to be used on yoke tank, but it is not optimal solution, especially if the user need to use it most of the time.

Just for reference, I do use DIN for double, but I use yoke for single tank. My first single tank setup was DIN, but I regretted it very quickly.

If that was true technical divers would use each type equally, but they don't. They use DIN, which is a more secure connection.

You have any proof for that statement, or is it just an assumption? It implies that yoke tanks are more likely to leak or fail, which I believe is just an assumption we all make. If there was a real problem with yoke fittings, they wouldn't be so popular. It's not fair to compare rental yoke with privately owned DIN tanks.

One reason DIN is preferred in overheads is because the yoke clamp does present an additional entanglement hazard. But for rental tanks getting the kind of abuse that tanks see at resorts, those DIN threads are pretty delicate, and I suspect there'd be problems with leaks and cross-threads in that environment. That's just a guess.

I’ve seen three yoke regulators destroyed because a tank fell over. The clamp won’t work if it gets bent out of shape. I would love to see a study on the amount of force required to do that, and the amount of force exerted when a technical diver bangs a tank into something…yes, it’s bad form, but it happens.

The DIN system keeps the oring on the regulator, where it can be protected from the environment, compared to a yoke tank which has the oring on the tank, where it will face a higher risk of getting lost, acquiring UV damage, or abrasion damage. Yes, it can be protected, but in a typical rental environment, it is not.

DIN valves are easier to damage than yoke valves. Drop a tank that has a DIN valve without something screwed into it, and the same force that will destroy the yoke clamp will deform the valve making it useless. However, that damage will occur on the surface, not underwater.

Yoke is far more popular. Why? I don’t know. I use DIN on everything. I have multiple din to yoke adaptors and I don’t complain when I have to use them. People say it’s a pain in the head, but I guess I’m more accommodating, or maybe I have a smaller head, but it’s just not that big of a deal.

I certainly don’t see the sense in avoiding a diving destination because they use yoke valves.

I like to scooter in caves. I have a very expensive scooter. There are some caves that don’t allow scooter use. Do I ask “what, don’t they want a scooter owner to dive there?” no, I just enjoy swimming it. I like to dive solo in caves. There are some caves that don’t allow solo diving. Do I ask “What, don’t they want a solo diver to dive there?” no, I just enjoy it with a buddy.

When I last visited the DR to cave dive, the shop was having compressor problems and I ended up having to dive with one DIN and one yoke tank, and they were both air, when I prefer nitrox. Additionally, a mishap occurred with one regulator and I was forced to dive without an inflator hose, meaning I had to manually inflate my wing. Did I call the dive and ask “what, don’t they want a technical cave diver who always tells people not to take yoke into a cave, and who hasn’t breathed 21% underwater in 2 years, and who likes to use the power inflator on his wing to dive here?” Nope. The caves there are beautiful, the yoke adaptor wasn’t going to kill me, 21% was a reasonable gas to use, and I’m man enough to inflate my wing with my lungs.

If the destination is worth it, do what you have to to dive it. It might mean learning another language, putting up with living conditions which are not your norm, and diving with equipment that is not your preference. And, if you aren’t willing to do those things, we can only assume that to you, the destination was not worth it. In that case, spend your time diving the destinations that have the proper balance, to you, of cost and benefit. Then, you will be truly happy, and that is what is most important when planning a trip.

Maybe on your side of the world. Elsewhere, not necessarily.

You have any proof for that statement, or is it just an assumption? It implies that yoke tanks are more likely to leak or fail, which I believe is just an assumption we all make. If there was a real problem with yoke fittings, they wouldn't be so popular. It's not fair to compare rental yoke with privately owned DIN tanks.

One reason DIN is preferred in overheads is because the yoke clamp does present an additional entanglement hazard. But for rental tanks getting the kind of abuse that tanks see at resorts, those DIN threads are pretty delicate, and I suspect there'd be problems with leaks and cross-threads in that environment. That's just a guess.

I don't think there's any doubt that DIN is a better connection. The question is does it practically matter in diving? I don't have any data to support this though I've seen a yoke connection that was not tightened properly blow out in a pool. Of course everyone is free to use any system they want. The yoke is more likely to snag on lines, the nut can get hit and possibly loosen, and it's rated for a max of 3000-3442 psi while the DIN O ring design is rated to 5000 psi. If I accidentally ram the valve into a rock under water I'd rather have DIN.

My advice to someone trying to decide for recreational diving, is if you're going to be mostly renting tanks go with yoke, but if you use your own tank and occasionally rent go with DIN and use the adapter when traveling.

If there was a real problem with yoke fittings, they wouldn't be so popular.

Really? Yoke is more idiot-proof and that's enough to make it the choice for rentals, but that hardly means it's not an inferior connection system when it comes down to the issue of what's the most secure, in-water connection. Yoke happens to be "good enough," just like everything else that's popular for rental gear.

Just for future reference on Cozumel. DIN is available at three dive ops. Living Underwater, Aldora Divers, and Liquid Blue. All of my regs, six sets I keep on the island are DIN and these shops have screw out valves. I was just returned this past Thursday so this info is current.

the problem isnt the regs its the cylinder valves.
i would imagine it would cost quite a lot for shops to swop valves for the more recent valves that can be used on either din or yoke.

yokes are rated to 232 bar.
din are rated to 300 bar
it's a bit obvious which are the best.

anyway not wanting to use an adapter i have swopped out my din for a yoke for the holidays.

a couple of the tech shops have din but for some reason these are not available for back gas .

anyway 2 weeks to go and depite the din/yoke thing i'm still looking forward to a bit of jeep diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom