No idea on how to decide on a Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Within this budget, I would also go for the Aqualung i330R. Color screen, Bluetooth interface, and app. Just no compass or air integration. Then again, I don't think any of the other computers within the budget have those features.

This is a nice computer. It's the first Aqua Lung computer to run Buhlmann ZH-L16C rather than PZ+. It has only presets and no custom GF, but, with GF highs of 90, 85, and 70, it would work for many divers. Nice screen.

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-01-30 om 16.44.50.png

This might explain why I can't find any i330R computers for sale, though...

As others have said a used shearwater in good condition may manage to fit your price point, but Suunto Zoop will meet your needs for awhile (it's also a very common rental computer so might be able to come well under your price point used...). The thing that really pissed me off on the Zoop was the 24hr lockout if you slightly stray from the computer's extremely conservative settings, not that you should go against what your computer says of course..
The only other computer I've owned is the ScubaPro Mantis M1, which has big pro for me if apnea mode and used might fit your budget (it also has 24 hour lockout, even if simply accidentally had in SCUBA mode when taking a warmup freedive it's likely going to require looking through the directions to be able to reset and use it on that freedive outing...)
Unless you are blowing off required stops there is no lockout. I have dove Gekkos for 20 years. As long as you do your stops your fine

A dive computer should be so patient as to get you to the surface first, safely. In the case of the EON Core, for example, the algorithm locks out during the dive. This, for me, goes against the entire purpose of a dive computer: to get you to the surface safely - even if you mess up, the computer should calculate the safest option from there (and maybe punish you for it later, when you're on land).
Like Suunto now approaches it, the computer behaves like an aggrieved teenager sabotaging the entire situation - very counterproductive if you ask me.

I had the EON Core and sold it after a diving mate (also with the EON Core) had the algorithm lock on him mid-dive in a simulated emergency drill. He ended the dive, and with his buddy ascended using his buddy's computer. Unacceptable, IMO.

Here's how the manual describes it:

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-01-30 om 16.55.15.png

I mean it does get you to the surface safely as long as you don't simulate emergency ascents with Deco obligations. Your mate should have read the manual more carefully to know that he shouldn't have done that

He knew. It actually was part of the scenario they simulated :)

I still think it's an approach by Suunto (and only Suunto, as far as I know) that is less safe. Even though they claim it to be a safety feature... And a relevant feature for a computer that claims to be for tech diving too.

He knew. It actually was part of the scenario they simulated :)

I still think it's an approach by Suunto (and only Suunto, as far as I know) that is less safe. Even though they claim it to be a safety feature... And a relevant feature for a computer that claims to be for tech diving too.
What is the tech-diving preferred behavior here? Let's say I blow off my 12m & 9m stops of however many minutes and go directly to three or six meters. I guess the Suunto will say "Locked" -- essentially, "you're probably bent, I have no idea what you should do except maybe seek a chamber", since the algorithm doesn't work any more. Will a Shearwater say "yeah alright, we missed a few stops, but just stay at 3m for a long while instead and you're good"?

I kinda hinted at this idea earlier.... but I'll say it
If you are just doing easy recreational diving...not too deep, using 80 cubic ft tanks or similar, etc..
and especially if you're diving off tourist charter boats frequented by both new and experienced divers (where they drop you on a site, with a plan and rules... the dive is x minutes...or be back on the boat by 3PM or whatever)
then a computer really is not necessary
You'll run out of time or air before you'll get into problem
***that said, I'm NOT saying that you should dive based on old tables and I'm NOT saying you should dive without a computer****
just that it's not really such a critical piece of gear if you're on a budget and any of them, even low cost ones will tell you what you need to know.

I kinda hinted at this idea earlier.... but I'll say it
If you are just doing easy recreational diving...not too deep, using 80 cubic ft tanks or similar, etc..
and especially if you're diving off tourist charter boats frequented by both new and experienced divers (where they drop you on a site, with a plan and rules... the dive is x minutes...or be back on the boat by 3PM or whatever)
then a computer really is not necessary
You'll run out of time or air before you'll get into problem
***that said, I'm NOT saying that you should dive based on old tables and I'm NOT saying you should dive without a computer****
just that it's not really such a critical piece of gear if you're on a budget and any of them, even low cost ones will tell you what you need to know.
Every tourist/charter boat I’ve ever been on requires you to have/use a dive computer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom