Nocturnal Lights SLX 800t LED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CTDiver01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone used this light? What was your opinion on how it worked? I dive mostly in the Northeast on wrecks off the coast of Block Island, RI, Long Island and NJ. Any comments, likes and dislikes or alternative recommendations would be helpful. I have also been looking at the DiveRite 900 Lumen and the OMS LED

Thanks

I have not used the specific light you mentioned. I have tried several LED lights. Some put out a lot of light. Very few LED lights have a very tight beam. I generally prefer a tighter beam (for a dive light) than LEDs offer. Virtually all of my lights used on the surface (camping or tactical) use LED. I love my Princeton Tec Shockwave LED for use inside wrecks or tight caves. I also like it in open water, for night dives, if the water is clear. I haven't seen an LED light that put out a bright enough "spot" for use on a daytime dive for peering into nooks. 900 lumens would be exceptionally bright, if it were an accurate measurement.

I own the 800 and an earlier generation that I modified with a teralux bulb.

To the SLX 800t is a nice light for most recreational diving as it puts out a lot of light and has good duration. The only issue I have with it is the inability to adjust the beam during the dive. It does come with two sets of internal diffusers for tight or wide but these have to be setup predive so if conditions change during the dive well your stuck.

Nocturnal does have an external diffuser which does a reasonable job so you could set up your internal just for hot.

I use these lights for video and photos and I have one set wide while the other is hot... there are just times I want to adjust those settings!@!!!!

Even with these lights I'm going to be adding a non led 21 watt HID to my gear for a couple reasons:
1) Need to be able to adjust beam focus
2) No led I've found yet (and I DIY as well) has the pure punch of the HID.
3) In silty conditions the wideangle is use less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom