Noob entering room, Need to select equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read through your blog. thanks for the link.

The more I read the more I get confused.

BCD. Sounds like it is hard to buy without a test dive or at least trying them on. Leaning towards the BP/W. But cost and trail are a issue yet. Question on this. WIth a BP/W if you are on the surface and inflated, how much if any effort does it take to keep you head up vs a traditional BCD. From what I understand so far, If you were adrift a standard BCD may be a better option. While I hope to never experience this, You never know what the heck a dive boat is going to do.

Regs.
I see good reviews on HOG gear, not as much on Edge( less comments not negatives), However Edge would suit my needs better as I will be using rental tanks, at least for now. Second There is no close service centers and that seems to be highly recommended by all, Choose equipment that you can service locally.

We hope to know if the wife's job will allow her to tele commute, Once we get that word, we will be in a buy soon situation. If this is confusion, we have 2 homes and the landlocked one is where her office is. The new one we are going to move to is in the keys. It's just a timing thing now.

Highflier

If you are correctly weighted and have a harness adjusted right, it requires NO effort at all to float upright, and if you get tired of that, you can lie on your back. Most issues with pitching forward have to do with crotch straps that are too long (so the wing rides up on the diver's back), and overweighted divers (so the wing has to be really full to float you at the surface) with the weights in the front (so they pull you down).

Regulator servicing is somewhat of an issue. If you intend to dive constantly, sending regs out for service is a pain -- but I'll tell you that our local service folks will take a week or more to turn around regulators, most of the time. If you are completely not a DIY person, having a local resource to fix minor problems may be a big plus. If you are a bit handy, a lot of minor things can be handled by yourself (hose replacement and some minor 2nd stage adjustments).

A backplate and wing will run $250 on up depending on the options. If you want a hybrid check out the Zeagle Express Tech, there is a thread on here with some very happy users. In fact I think Jim Lapenta uses it and Captain Gene sells it. It costs $260 although you may want to budget a few more dollars for the D-rings.

The regulators are a difficult question. For up to 65 feet any reg from a reputable manufacturer will do. Yesterday's deal of the day at Leisurepro was a Sherwood Magnum for $175 for the same price you can get a HOG with a BP-1 first for $175 at Cave Adventurers. They are in Florida so buy it before you move to save on the sales tax. When you add hoses and gauges you are probably looking at a minimum of $350 per reg set including gauges.

You will need a wetsuit. Maybe yours will work or maybe it won't. Try and see.

A weight belt is cheap, if it does not work for you and you want pockets you are not out a lot of money.

It is bad practice to share a dive computer but at 15-30 ft it really does not matter as you will run out of air before hitting the deco limit. Use tables for now, buy a computer when you dive deeper.

If you are renting tanks in the keys, please buy a regulator with a yoke fitting, not DIN. HOG regs come DIN only, and there's an adapter. The adapter puts the reg much closer to your head, which for most people is very uncomfortable.

With the diving that you describe, buying a sealed first stage is NOT necessary or even advantageous. They are made specifically for cold and/or dirty water, which is pretty much the exact opposite of the FL Keys. For your diving any decent quality regulator will work absolutely fine. What's important is that your regs can be serviced competently in a convenient location. The zeagle envoy is a perennial 'best buy' and since zeagle is local, one would hope there's someone in your area that can service them.

Other excellent low-cost-but-high-quality regs would be the aqualung titan, scubapro MK2 or MK11, with either the C200 2nd stage or R380, or any of the sherwood regs EXCEPT the SR1. The best deals are often on used regs, as long as you can find someone to evaluate them and service them. Regulators are designed to be rebuilt, and the warranties often end up costing more than the reg is worth, so there's usually little risk involved in buying used regs, especially if you have a helper who can advise you on particular deals.

A BP/W set up is definitely good for novice divers. There are a million threads about it, so read away. Having a rigid plate couples the cylindrical tank to your flat back in a very efficient way, while the webbing harness is infinitely adjustable and out of your way while diving.

I agree that you will need some exposure protection; you'll never find yourself saying...."gee, I wish I weren't so warm and comfy doing all these dives." A 3mil suit would be fine, maybe just a dive skin in the summer. But you don't want to just dive in the summer, do you?

If your projected depth is truly 15-20 ft, I wouldn't bother with a computer, but they're so cheap that you might as well get one. Just get a simple wrist computer, oceanic and aeris make decent ones (lots of others do as well) and forget about the bells and whistles. What you need is depth/time, N2 loading (typically a bar graph of some sort), NDL, and an ascent rate indicator. They all have those features. Nitrox is a nice option, but really at that depth it's not worth spending a lot of money on, either for the class, the gas, or the computer. If you head into regular diving in the 60ft+ range, nitrox is much more appropriate.

Its a shame that these gear advice threads seem to be inching towards the "buy from me" vibe and away from the "here's what will work" vibe that is really central to forums' like these usefulness.

On a related note: I see that some people have recommended HOG regs. They do look like fine regs (I wanted them myself), but they are currently "native" DIN valve regs. That means that to use them on the typical Keys rental tanks, which have yoke valves, you would need a spin-on adapter.... HOG have just said they are going to come out with a native yoke option, but for the moment they are DIN only.

I'm quoting my own post here to correct something I said earlier in the thread. I read a post in another thread here on SB, and interpreted it to mean that HOG were going to introduce parts to make the regs "native" yoke. But, I misunderstood that, and it's actually going to be accomplished through a spin-on adapter.

Sorry about the misinformation.

Blue Sparkle

You might also look at Scubapro and Atomics. Scubapro would have widest service including overseas. Atomic only needs to be serviced every 2 years.

My $0.02 for BC is Zeagle. I dive the Stiletto and love it. Zeagle makes many of their BC's modular so you can change out cummerbund and shoulder straps to get more tailored fit.

Every so often Scubatoys.com has specials on used gear or open box demo's. Scuba.com also has online specials on gear. Actually, most online retailers will have similar. I picked up Aeris XR 1 for about $125 (can't remember exactly but close) at scubatoys and a Pinnacle 5/7 mm wetsuit for my daughter for only $49 online special scuba.com. I actually live near scuba.com and for return was able take her there try on different sizes. Wound up keeping original wetsuit but changed the hood for same price. Had to order online with shipping for online price but was worth it.

I need to find some of this stuff local so I can try it.. but right now I am leaning towards

Zeagle express tech
HOG/Edge Epic II reg.

But all are just thoughts until I find a place to check this stuff out first hand. Currently I am just north of Piladelphia, PA. (30 min or so.)

Highflier

I need to find some of this stuff local so I can try it.. but right now I am leaning towards

Zeagle express tech
HOG/Edge Epic II reg.

But all are just thoughts until I find a place to check this stuff out first hand. Currently I am just north of Piladelphia, PA. (30 min or so.)

Highflier

Keep in mind HOG first stages are DIN only (AFAIK). As for service in the Keys, there are at least 5 Scubapro shops I know of. IMO, you really can't go wrong with SP regs.

Zeagle express tech
HOG/Edge Epic II reg.

Highflier

Northeast Scuba Suppy in Norristown is a Zeagle Dealer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom