Noob entering room, Need to select equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With all my reading I am thinking that Scubapro regs may not be the best option for me, even though the fuction and quality is rated well.

1) The parts warrenty is not listed in the manual or on the website
2) With 15-20 dives a year expected a bi annual or cheap parts program make more sense then a manditory yearly program

I think it is time to get to hte dealers and start touchy feeling this stuff. I am a little concerned that Edge has very few reviews on it. Although it's sister product HOG seems to do very well.

Also think that I will look into weather the Dive shops near me rent any DIN tanks. If so that could move me to HOG for the Reg.

Highflier

I went out and bought gear fairly soon after I started diving, and fortunately my local dive shop gave me good advice on what to get. But consider this: at the time I thought I would only dive on vacations to beautiful, warm water reefs. I continue to prefer beautiful, warm water reefs! However, I now live near Chicago due to a great work opportunity and I often travel to California for work, so I now do a lot of dives to Lake Michigan wrecks and in the Monterey Bay area, with cold water while wearing a dry suit. Fortunately I bought a regulator (Apeks DST/XT50) with enough low pressure ports to support a dry suit, and enough high pressure ports to support an air-integrated console computer, and good cold-water performance - because my local dive shop was wise. I was also guided towards a back-inflate BCD, and while someday I might go with backplate and wings I am pretty happy with my BCD now.

I think there's a lot to be said for renting for a bit to figure out what you like and don't like, and then buying gear. I also think that good local dive shops are great in terms of providing advice and service, and in my opinion they know very well what the prices are out there on the tubes of the interweb - and I'm willing to pay a modest premium for local advice and service. I'm sure there are some crappy, rip-off local dive shops out there, but so far I am fortunate enough not to have not bumped into one of them.

All good advise, I have no problem giving bussiness to a local guy, if he has the right product and the right price.

Since our Florida keys house will be our retirement home I am comfortable with a tropical reef setup, Within reason there are local wrecks and stuff that will be deeper and obviously colder water...

I found out that at least the closest (there are seveal close) dive shop does rent both Din and Yoke tanks. In fact I have asked 2 shops, one in the south and one up north and they both offer din and yoke rentals.

The shop in the keys is a aqualung dealer and a few other brands that I have not heard much about. As far as the BCD choice, My dive buddy (wife) and I will without a doubt try on and maybe dive before we buy. The regulater I am a little better with Buying without a dive as long as it has good feedback. Now that I know I can use DIN tanks. The Hog setup is looking better and better. Service is a minor issue but that can be overcome. My wife and I tried on a Mares Hybred back inflate BCD and we both liked it. She is thinking BCD, I am undecided on BCD vs BPW. I would really have to try a BPW on before I could make that call. The shop we stopped in the other day, Really was not possitive about BCD for non Tech diving.

Highflier

Since our Florida keys house will be our retirement home I am comfortable with a tropical reef setup, Within reason there are local wrecks and stuff that will be deeper and obviously colder water...

Just a note (because this was counter to my pre-conceived idea): If you are speaking of the Keys wrecks, such as the Spiegel Grove, Thunderbolt, Duane, etc. I have found that the water temperature is typically not much different at depth than it is at the surface. Not that you should go on my word, because I am not very experienced, but (unless I mis-understood), the local experts confirmed that as being typical.

As far as the BCD choice... She is thinking BCD, I am undecided on BCD vs BPW. I would really have to try a BPW on before I could make that call. The shop we stopped in the other day, Really was not possitive about BCD for non Tech diving.

Not to come across like a dweeb, but just because clear terminology makes it easier to discuss things from a base of understanding: A BCD (or BC) is any Buoyancy Compensating Device, so that category would include "jacket" BC's, back-inflate BC's and BP/W BC's.

I didn't really understand your last sentence, perhaps due to terminology, but I'm curious about it (I feel some affinity for your situation since I'm a non-tech diver who has made 99% of my dives in the keys, and who made gear-purchasing choices with that diving in mind).

Those shops that seem to have a problem with BPW for new divers mainly have that issue out of ignorance. They don;t sell them or dive them so they have no idea how to set them up. THe markup on jacket and even back inflates is normally higher than on a BPW, unless you go with AL or ScubaPro and even Halcyon to a degree and then you are paying a couple to several hundred more just for the name. So shops would rather not sell them. In addition many instructors have never even tried one and have bought into the myth that they are harder to dive rather than finding out for themselves. I bought into the BS about them pushing you forward at the surface and being for "tech" divers only for the same reasons. The shop I was certed through did not sell them and did damn near everything they could to keep me out of one. So thanks to Scubaboard I went on line and got one (two actually), and never looked back. That shop also did not want to get me a long hose for my reg. So again on line. And rather than fight with them about doubles I went to another shop and did more on line buying. I figure their ignorance cost them close to $10,000.00 in gear sales from me by being so narrow minded.

Why not go the PADI rebreather route and pick up a Posedien MK VI... Just be prepared to do many software upgrades... Shouldnt cost more then 7k class included.

I would recomend the Oceanic GT3 or NEO for the regulators. They are very good breathing regs, that and inexpensive. They will do you well for all of your shallow dives as well as any deeper diving you may do in the future. As for a BCD I would look at the Oceanic Excursion II, Probe, or TUSA Conquest for you and the TUSA Seline or Oceanic Hera for your wife. They are all great BCD's that will last you for ever. Good luck on the move and have fun diving in FL you luck dog. LOL

I would recomend the Oceanic GT3 or NEO for the regulators. They are very good breathing regs, that and inexpensive. They will do you well for all of your shallow dives as well as any deeper diving you may do in the future. As for a BCD I would look at the Oceanic Excursion II, Probe, or TUSA Conquest for you and the TUSA Seline or Oceanic Hera for your wife. They are all great BCD's that will last you for ever. Good luck on the move and have fun diving in FL you luck dog. LOL

You recommend them because you sell them, so you are biased. Also you lost all credibility by posting in another form that all dive equipment is made by the same companies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom