Nord Stream Pipeline Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No flow...
Drill small hole, inject (liquid) oxygen, plug hole with spark plug.
Sparky sparky, boomy boomy

Natural Gas is mostly methane, which is made of Carbon and Hydrogen. It needs Oxygen to burn.

That's my point. Fuel is already there, just add oxidizer and ignition. Unlike burning natural gas in open air, pure oxygen makes it much more energetic. Add pressure, thick car engine at top of compression stroke and the power stroke is going to happen. Don't forget to amp that up with pure O2.

It would probably do more for full length over pressure destruction, not isolated location damage

So P = Plenty?
That's the one. Just use Fresh Pizza dough..... The Stuffed Crust type. LOL

Incidentally the Nord Stream 2 had a static pressure of 105 BarG that's 1500 psig of gas inside for you lot. So I would hazard a guess this explosive release of pressure alone is going to bend a few metres of metal and was probably IMHO the seismic shock wave that was recorded at the time and not the amount of explosive used.

Saying that if it was you lot that did it then the sea bed will be littered with Uncle Sam debris evidence by the shed load and all you have to do is look what USN vessel was making its way south of the UK
back home across the pond the moment it all went up. From you can guess where it was a few days prior.

Submarines are pretty hard to detect, especially when sitting on the bottom. The Baltic Sea is a very busy and noisy place so hiding is much easier than in the Sea of Okhotsk, where US cable tapping submarines spent weeks at a time over many years.

Sat divers locked out of a sub are known to move pretty large payloads. See Operation Ivy Bells.

Man those short stories are fascinating. Is there someplace, or a collection of books, that would have these kinds of stories in them, that are short and to the point like that?

Man those short stories are fascinating. Is there someplace, or a collection of books, that would have these kinds of stories in them, that are short and to the point like that?

I would start with Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew. Another great book is The Silent War: The Cold War Battle Beneath the Sea by John Pina Craven. Both are full of related but mostly separate stories.

It is hard to tell much from this video. If the caption on the video is correct, that 50m of pipe is missing, it would take a lot of explosives to make that happen.

Thinking out loud​

Color me skeptical that it is accurate that pipe is "missing" and is typical of all four pipes. It is true that damaging the pipe in two locations only 50m/165' apart would significantly slow repairs, either by subsea habitat welds or hauling ends to the surface. Completely severing and removing a section of pipe would make repairs faster as oppose to just blowing holes.

IF the estimate is correct and this damage is typical of all four pipes, it really points the finger at the US. Plenty of countries have the diving and ROV expertise but, AFAIK, only the US has the capacity to pull it off without detection — saturation divers and/or ROVs from a submarine.

It takes a LOT of bottom time and explosives to cause this much damage. A few divers on rebreathers hauling plastic explosives from a small boat couldn't get it done without detection.

My first question would be where was the USS Jimmy Carter? This is pretty close to an admission.

I find speculation that blames Russia for blowing up their own pipelines completely implausible. I can't conceive of a reason when closing valves on land serves the same purpose and keeps their options open.

Some of the nuke boat sailors on the board may have different opinions. Ping @Bob DBF and @formernuke
The Russians spent a lot of time and effort trying to come up with ways to take out NATO underwater assets like communications cables, SOSUS lines, and pipelines. On paper at least they have a larger array of "special missions" submarines and surface ships than the USN. Last year the Norwegians reported having a whole oceanographic sensor array ripped out by parties unknown; Russia was the prime suspect. On top of that, the Russian Baltic Fleet is based in the area and Russian ships were observed in the area of the pipeline damage prior to the explosions.

I have an easier time buying "orcs being orcs" than buying that the US executed a bat**** insane plan that would have involved sneaking submarine assets through a choke point into a confined shallow sea that's probably wired like a pinball machine and would have involved taking action against not just the NS pipelines running to Germany, but popping the pipelines close to Danish and Swedish territorial waters. I'm consistently amazed how many people think the Jimmy Carter is equipped with a phase cloak or shrink ray that lets it go anywhere; it's 452 ft long with a 40-ft beam and probably about 65 ft from the top of the sail to the keel. Take a look at the Danish Straits and ask if you want to do a submerged transit in a nuclear boat that size with heavy shipping traffic; you'd have to pass under highway bridges. That's a gigantic bucket of factors that could go catastrophically wrong with major strategic consequences, all for a pipeline that was already shut down indefinitely and could be kept closed indefinitely via diplomatic pressure.

to come up with ways to take out NATO underwater assets like communications cables, SOSUS lines, and pipelines. On paper at least they have a larger array of "special missions" submarines and surface ships than the USN. Last year the Norwegians reported having a whole oceanographic sensor array ripped out by parties unknown; Russia was the prime suspect. On top of that, the Russian Baltic Fleet is based in the area and Russian ships were observed in the area of the pipeline damage prior to the explosions.

I have an easier time buying "orcs being orcs" than buying that the US executed a bat**** insane plan that would have involved sneaking submarine assets through a choke point into a confined shallow sea that's probably wired like a pinball machine and would have involved taking action against not just the NS pipelines running to Ger
Every time some incident happens, the media immediately says "Russia did it! Russia did it!" with zero evidence for months and years on end. I mean (not to get political), the Hunter Biden story was "Russian Disinformation." The Hillary emails were "Hacked by Russia." And "Russia stole the 2016 election."

....and now "Russia blew up their own pipeline and leverage!" Ok, why wouldn't they just turn off the gas? "Because they're orcs!"

Every time some incident happens, the media immediately says "Russia did it! Russia did it!" with zero evidence for months and years on end. I mean (not to get political), the Hunter Biden story was "Russian Disinformation." The Hillary emails were "Hacked by Russia." And "Russia stole the 2016 election."

....and now "Russia blew up their own pipeline and leverage!" Ok, why wouldn't they just turn off the gas? "Because they're orcs!"
And sometimes Russia did do it, in the pipeline case I think it was shoddy workmanship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom