Not buying from your local Dive Shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MurkyRockDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
First of all I love my lds, the people there are great but recently I had to make a purchase of $2000 +. I ended up buying from divetank and saved over $1000 from the exact same items my lds was selling.
Now I know we need to support our lds but at such a svings how can I justify it? I still get all my training there and buy smaller items and the like.

What are your views on this topic or should I even be conserned with not supporting the shop.

By the way I am new to the board so hello to all you regulars, great forum!

I couldn't justify paying 40% more at my LDS for my gear however, they service all my gear annually and I do buy air and the occasional item on sale there so overall they get a good $500 from me every year.

Hi there!

This topic has been discussed many times on the board. If you do a search you're sure to find a whole days worth of reading. Anyway........you have to take into account a number off things when you buy from the online guys as compared to your LDS.

Some examples are the warranty issues you might have, servicing the equipment, returns or exchanges and the free advice that you will get from your LDS that you probably won't get from the online guys. Yeah I know that some will say that free advice cost you a thousand dollars but it might also save you a thousand dollars some day too. Your LDS might willing to let you try the gear out and exchange it, maybe for a small fee or no fee at all, if you don't like it.

There's lots of reasons to buy from your LDS but it is your money so spend it where you want.

Give the LDS a chance to get in the ballpark of the online places. I they can't come reasonably close don't feel guilty about taking the better deal. A lot of dive shops will come fairly close to online prices and make up the difference with various incentives like free training, free air, or free service.

My LDS attempts to match any deal I can find. There goal is to sell me my gear, service my gear, and make sure I dive all the time. I do not believe in trying on gear, pick the brain of the staff, then order it for less money on-line. The staff did their job and deserve to get paid for their expertise. I also like to see shops stay in business. More scuba shops equal a competitive market. My LDS knows I will spend money. They want to keep my business. They provide a lot of extra perks (i.e. they stock my brand of beer in their fridge--just for me, they will do a tank fill when the shop is closed, etc.). It is in my best interest to support them because they improve the quality of my scuba experience.

MurkyRockDiver:
First of all I love my lds, the people there are great but recently I had to make a purchase of $2000 +. I ended up buying from divetank and saved over $1000 from the exact same items my lds was selling.
Now I know we need to support our lds but at such a svings how can I justify it? I still get all my training there and buy smaller items and the like.

What are your views on this topic or should I even be conserned with not supporting the shop.

My view on the topic is simple. I did needed to support my children until they reached a point where they could support themselves and I still support my wife and our home. Since I'm not wealthy I need to get the best value I can for my diving dollars. I feel no obligation, or need, to support a local dive shop. Heck, with the money you save on a few major purchases, you can buy your own compressor. It beats paying 30% more for eqyuipment to finance your air fills and other peoples "training" (if you could call it training).

BTW, you don't need them for equipment service either except for the fact that some shops and manufacturers refuse to sell parts and service information. Who needs help like that? So, not only do I buy where I think I get the best value, I won't buy the products of manufacturers that won't sell parts and service information either.

Sort of a funny story...

I don't go into dive shops much anymore but some time back my wife and I had part of a day to kill in the Chicago area. There's lots of dive shops. We took a phone book and just went from one to the other looking around and visiting with people. I didn't figure that any of them needed to know that I am a former dive shop owner, that I've been an instructor with a few different agencies or that I have about every certification on the face of the planet. I just let them talk. The largest construction equipment in the world wouldn't be able to move the mountain of BS that I had piled on me in a single afternoon.

We didn't visit every dive shop in the Chicago area but I just couldn't think of a worse place for a new diver to go for information than the shops we did visit. My opinion is that they are c-card mills selling junk equipment at very high prices.

Busdiver:
I do not believe in trying on gear, pick the brain of the staff, then order it for less money on-line. The staff did their job and deserve to get paid for their expertise.

Why? If they offer a service and don't charge for it, why should consumers take advantage of it? You don't have to promis to buy from them in advance do you? Your time in there looking, trying and talking is their chance to convince you that they are the best place to buy. If they fail at that, you walk.

I spent almost 17 years as an engineer and I used to procure some very expensive custom designed and built equipment. There were times that various companies would have MANY MANY engineering and sales hours just in adequately responding to the request for quote. Only one would be chosen and the others were out of luck. The expense of quoting is a rsk that's inherent to their business....it's cost of sales.

In the case of a dive shop, the fill station, fitting rooms, stock that you can see and touch, the person behind the counter and whatever else is there to get you in the door. It's their chance to quote. The cost of that is is part of their their cost of sales. If they are unable to make adequate sales on that investment, it's their responsibility, not yours.
I also like to see shops stay in business. More scuba shops equal a competitive market. [/QUQOTE]

I disagree. In fact, the policies of some of the manufacturers and even dive shops are specifically designed to LIMIT competition.
My LDS knows I will spend money. They want to keep my business. They provide a lot of extra perks (i.e. they stock my brand of beer in their fridge--just for me,

My wife does that.
they will do a tank fill when the shop is closed, etc.). It is in my best interest to support them because they improve the quality of my scuba experience.

Shop wisely, manage your money well, save your coins and you can buy your own compressor and fill your tank whenever you want. LOL

I don't treat my LDS much differently that I treat any other place I shop. If their prices are reasonable, or they offer service I feel is valuable I use them.

Unfortunately their retail prices are NOT reasonable, and I am forced to go elsewhere. I've discussed this with them, and their thoughts are why should they lower prices or even bargain in selected cases when they can sell gear to newbs at inflated prices? They sell a LOT of great to new OW students, and divers who are completely unaware of the internet, or don't like to shop online.

Their pricing model works for them, but it does not work for me! :shakehead: I shop elsewhere for most things, and that is fine.

What I do is look up what I want on line and get the $ with shipping. Then go to my LDS and show them what I am looking for and tell them what I willing to pay. Most of the time they give it to me for my $ since I spend lots $$$$ with them. But other time like my CLx450 signature suit I payed what they asked for since they take the time as money to get me suited up correctly with the right measurements. But with my tanks I do research, all I have to say is I got a killer deal with my tanks. Thanks LDS and there a big help.

MikeFerrara:
We didn't visit every dive shop in the Chicago area but I just couldn't think of a worse place for a new diver to go for information than the shops we did visit. My opinion is that they are c-card mills selling junk equipment at very high prices.

Care to give me a heads up so I know where to stay away from? Being new I would appreciate any insights that would be helpful. PM me if yuo dont' want to name names here.

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom