Not buying from your local Dive Shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
Why? If they offer a service and don't charge for it, why should consumers take advantage of it? You don't have to promis to buy from them in advance do you? Your time in there looking, trying and talking is their chance to convince you that they are the best place to buy. If they fail at that, you walk.

Shop wisely, manage your money well, save your coins and you can buy your own compressor and fill your tank whenever you want. LOL

The key but subtle difference here is that when you go to an LDS to examine and try on gear, it is with the intention of purchasing there if their price is right. But when the price tag difference is almost 100%, we probably know where that one is going.

Busdiver:
My LDS attempts to match any deal I can find. There goal is to sell me my gear, service my gear, and make sure I dive all the time. I do not believe in trying on gear, pick the brain of the staff, then order it for less money on-line. The staff did their job and deserve to get paid for their expertise.

Well that argument is BS around here,

I abondoned my LDS after punk 20yr old kid, tried to sell me a new regulator to replace my 1 year old regulator WAS NOT EVEN QUALIFIED TO DIVE

The second LDS, which I patronized for years, was sold to a new owner and they stopped selling anything non ScubaPro. and proceded to try and sell me a Scubapro wetsuit since "all other wetsuits are ineffective" YES that is an actual quote from them, I laughed at them, then left and will never return.

I have resorted to buying most of my gear via Scuba.com and I call them when I need advice on gear. The claim their people are instructors, don't know if that's true, but I have found them to be helpful and non biased on gear advice and sales. And I will gladly pay for the expertise that they offer.

Thanks to all that took the time to reply. I saw that after I made this post there were several similar posts but they were several months ago.If I offended some, sorry I will check next time. Still rehashing some issues is good for those that were not here a few months ago.
I am also aware of the warranty issues and make sure when I do shop online it is from an authorized dealer like divetank.

MikeFerrara:
My LDS knows I will spend money. They want to keep my business. They provide a lot of extra perks (i.e. they stock my brand of beer in their fridge--just for me,

My wife does that.

LOL

Hey Mike, can I come, too?

Btw, I love Pacifico!

MurkyRockDiver:
I am also aware of the warranty issues and make sure when I do shop online it is from an authorized dealer like divetank.

Scuba gear warrenties that demand a significantly higher price are probably not worth the difference. The warrenty issue is mostly a red herring.

It seems that at my LDS, the markup is almost 100% I've bought almost all of my gear on eBay and everything has a full manufacturer warranty. I called the manufacturer and verified with them that the online company on eBay was in fact an authorized retailer. They were. Also, this company has a brick and mortar store (2 actually) where the prices are basically the same!!

I have a not so LDS that is about 2 1/2 hours away. The prices there are about as good as online prices for some things. Aluminum 80's come with more extras than my immediate LDS and are still about $100 cheaper. The owner is about 80 yrs old and when asked about this very same topic he says....

"I'm not in it to get rich, I'm in it because I love it. These other guys got dollar signs in their eyes".

and he dives everyday he can

jsado:
........Aluminum 80's come with more extras than my immediate LDS and are still about $100 cheaper.......
:11:

Wow. I have been diving steel 120's for a while but when I bought my aluminums, they were only about $179......a c-note off that would have been great. I could have celebrated :cheers: the savings in style.

MurkyRockDiver:
First of all I love my lds, the people there are great but recently I had to make a purchase of $2000 +. I ended up buying from divetank and saved over $1000 from the exact same items my lds was selling.
Now I know we need to support our lds but at such a svings how can I justify it? I still get all my training there and buy smaller items and the like.

What are your views on this topic or should I even be conserned with not supporting the shop.

By the way I am new to the board so hello to all you regulars, great forum!
This is one of those topics like politics and religion.....people feel strongly - and make good points - pro and con

I've done business with my LDS for over 20 years - when all our gear was stolen a year ago, we made his day, and yes, I very likely could have saved some money buying on line, however his prices are very fair -the shop has been around forever (45+ years in the same location) and will discount.

Because of the theft, I needed receipts; he had them going back 10 years on his computer, and made the claim process easy.

Before folks think that this is a "1 in a 1000" example and does not prove much, I purchased a Sunto computer, US Divers regulator (or whatever their name is now) and a Mares BC - hated all of them - he took them back with no restocking fee, attitude, etc and I exchanged them for products I like. Yjis was after a month and 6 dives.

You have to weigh all sides - I live in S. FL and we have many LDS options - not the case for those in many parts of the country.

I've also purchased mail order; the hassle is if you need to return an item.

If the price is close - and you have to decide what close means to you - my advise is to go with the LDS.

Too, if you are going to dive frequently, and you need service or think you might need a favor from time to time - makes the decision easier as does if you are going to travel once or twice a year and thats the extent of your diving.

I basically agree with everybody's points even though not all match up. The LDS is an important part of diving however they are in business to a make a profit. I look at it this way:

- An LDS offers a service and expects to get paid for it. If that price is fair, then they should get the business.

- I am an employee working for somebody, offering a service to them for pay. If I wanted to double my salary, my :mooner: would be on the curb pretty quickly. However, if I continue to do my work for a fair price, I should remain employed.

I always give my LDS the best opportunity to get my business on almost every purchase. However it is not fair to anybody if we are expected to pay 100% premiums. I work my :mooner: off to maintain this very expensive hobby. I do not deserve a 100% premium. I will NOT buy certain articles online (a little quirk I have): BCD's, Reg's, Computers. I consider these too "life-supporting" and I personally feel more comfortable buying face to face....I still shop around though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom