Not buying from your local Dive Shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John_B:
You're aware scuba.com runs an online MAP violation reporting website to tattletail on web-based dive retailers that have gear priced below MAP?? I don't exactly get a warm fuzzy thinking of "good deals" and "scuba.com" in the same sentence. FWIW, there are apparently some accuracy issues. Make up your own mind:

http://www.scubacontest.com/office/violationlist.asp

I love the part where they try to claim copyright on other retailer's pricing.

John

I don't know. Its kinda nice to find a lower price isn't it? Probably not their intent but hey.

I actually have four shops within a half hour of me. One I will not do business with because of their pricing policies and the fact that I've seen the results of some of their classes and the instructors doing them. I've also sold gear to people they tried top rip off by unloading crap on them. The other three I use and will soon be working for all of them in some capacity on an as needed basis. Each has their own personality and is able to meet different needs. Except for my regs I 'm really not loyal to one brand. I use what works for me. I own Diverite, Oceanic, OS Systems, US divers, Deep Sea Supply, BARE, OMS and others when it comes to small stuff. As a DM I do get a break on alot of stuff from the shops but I still go online if they will not match prices or get the items I need or want. I have done this a few times as I know what I want and why and refuse to let a shop, manufacturer, or instructor tell me what I need. I have enough experience and do the research to make intelligent decisions. I at times have to advise newbs on gear selections and have pissed off my original instructor by telling a new person that for the type of diving they plan on doing that they don't need the most expensive reg in the shop. The next one down will work fine. Many who get into this do not have the money to buy top of the line right off the bat. I did not. I went with what I could afford and got what I needed. I still have all of it and alot more now. I got started with about 2K worth of gear including 2 tanks. I now have over 14K and am still building as I'm going tech. SO if I can find a lower price or buy used since i know what I'm looking for I'll do it. One thing I will not do however is buy from snitches.

I have resorted to buying most of my gear via Scuba.com and I call them when I need advice on gear. The claim their people are instructors, don't know if that's true, but I have found them to be helpful and non biased on gear advice and sales. And I will gladly pay for the expertise that they offer.

Another shameless plug but I purchased a BCD there two years ago. It ruptured a seam on the boat before a dive. My wife and I thought we were basically screwed but on a whim called Scuba.com. They sent it off to the manufacturer who determined it was a manufacturers defect so we got a brand new BCD. Their service department is the best.

ce4jesus:
Another shameless plug but I purchased a BCD there two years ago. It ruptured a seam on the boat before a dive. My wife and I thought we were basically screwed but on a whim called Scuba.com. They sent it off to the manufacturer who determined it was a manufacturers defect so we got a brand new BCD. Their service department is the best.

Not knocking what they did for you, sounds like they try to go all the way for you. But if it was a warranty repair, any dealer of that equipment should have been willing to do that for you.

The ones that I love are the ones that buy certain brands of gear online, then show up and swear that it was purchased at a different lds and should be warranty work. They don't realize that it only takes one phone call to find out the whole story.

Lead_carrier:
Not knocking what they did for you, sounds like they try to go all the way for you. But if it was a warranty repair, any dealer of that equipment should have been willing to do that for you.

The ones that I love are the ones that buy certain brands of gear online, then show up and swear that it was purchased at a different lds and should be warranty work. They don't realize that it only takes one phone call to find out the whole story.

Here is a totally different take. I am a consumer. I buy a brand X item, I should be able to get it serviced at any authorized service area with warranty if it was new. That's all I care about. I don't care about supporting buisnesses or practices. I am consumer not an investor.

All of the BS online vs LDS crap simply makes me choose brands that don't play those games.

The LDS we did our certs with is a joke. They over price things above MRSP and then knock money off the ticket to make people think they are getting a discount. I wouldn't spend a cent in that shop.

Lucky in Florida we have a few LDS, and many of them are pretty good on-line retailers as well. We shop at Diver Direct or Divers Supply. DS actually beat the price of any authorized dealer, so I get LDS service and on-line prices.

letsgodiving:
.......They over price things above MRSP and then knock money off the ticket to make people think they are getting a discount.........

I think this is relatively commonplace with a number of dive shops. I know for a fact mine does it but it is not an argument I wish to have with them right now. My defense to it is that I research my purchases beforehand and know what "fair market value" is and if they go above that, then I discuss it with them and where I spend my money is then up to them.

Hello, I'm new.

What do you guys think of big box sport chains that have scuba classes and equipment? Ala Sports Chalet or something? Are thier prices pretty competative as well as the online stores?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom