Not understanding the "whole thing"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On one side you have the PADI Police, on the other side you have the DIR Swat.

That's why Dork Divers rule. We don't care how you dive as long as you do it safely and in the best fun manners.

As long as you know there is a 50/50 chance you will DIE, who cares.

It's a guy thing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ROFL!!!

Hey, wait a minute...I'M a guy!

:shocked2:

For the vast majority of things, preventing a problem is worth a great deal more than having the ideal strategy to deal with it.

Very clever !

Not understanding the "whole thing"

Yah, it is confusing. See, in the English language, we have two words which mean much the opposite, are spelled differently, but are pronounced the same.

"Whole" means full, whereas
"Hole" means empty.

If you ever find yourself out of gas in an underwater hole, you may wish that your buddy has a whole hose.

Hope that helped clear things up. :D

Back in the late 1970s NAUI was about to require the use of another second stage. At the time I sat down with my instructional staff (twelve people at the time, five certified instructors, four trained by Lee Somers, all research divers) and outlined the upcoming requirement. We discussed possible approaches and there was a great diversity of opinion, just as there is here, based on little or no fact or investigation, just as there is here. Everyone had a different view, based on what their private thought process had lead them to purchase or decide to do.

For the record, I thought the whole thing a crock since buddy breathing provided a perfectly workable solution based around a regulator that you knew was working, I thought it all (except for overhead environments) an equipment based solution to a training problem that introduced a number of additional failure points and modes as well as further encumbered the diver.

We continued to discuss the issue through two scientific diver courses and a staff preparation course (read that as, more or less, NAUI Master Diver, DM, AI, Advanced Rescue, and Instructor Prep combined). We came to a conclusion and brought that conclusion to the summer ITC that I we ran, to garner input from the staff of about twenty recreational instructors who participated in the ITC.

There were, as I recall a few maxims we decided on:

1. A penny of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
  2. Solving a problem on the bottom is better than performing an emergency ascent (of whatever variety).
  3. Emergency procedures should be straightforward and streamlined and not require an "if-then-else" decision tree.
  4. It is easier to share air with a second stage on a hose that is 3 feet long, and 4 foot or longer is even better.
We found a few problems that needed to be addressed:

1. There are multiple axillary systems available including, octos (standard, right hand and side breather), integrated inflators, ponys (standard, right hand and side breather), ABLJs, even Spare Airs (bungeed auxs were not part of the mix back then).
  2. There are many possible attachment systems within the golden triangle, snap clips, spinnaker shackles, fastclips, octo holders (at least three types), snorkel keepers, carbineers, etc.
  3. There are many possible clip locations within the golden triangle.
  4. There are many possible octo pocket locations within the golden triangle.
The conclusions were reached were:

1. There are any number of systems, that if well thought out, will work.
  2. There is only one approach that permits both initialization that is identical to buddy breathing (thus keeping everything in a standardized flow) and that virtually guarantees the provision of a working regulator to the OOA diver: surrender the primary.
  3. Having the primary on a longer hose made it easier to use.
  4. Having a side breather primary made it easier to use.
  5. The extra length of hose (we were not hog rigging back then) was a pain and needed to be dealt with, we standardized on using the then normal octo length of about 40" on our primaries
  6. The exact type, location, attachment and deployment of a back up second stage should be left to the individual diver who, after surrendering the primary is responsible for it's recovery and use.
  7. An "Instructor's Auxiliary" is a wholly different beast. It is an second (or possibly third) second stage, preferably of a side breather design, that was carried on a 40" or longer hose down the left side of the tank, under the left arm, under and then back up the back pack or BC waist strap. When students were conducting drills with their regulators our of their mouths this "Instructor's Auxiliary" was to be in the staff member's left hand.

OK ScubaInChicago, you're starting to sound like a broken record. :shakehead:

Who's record did he break?

... or did you mean to say a CD with a big nasty scratch in it ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Greetings Guba I am not quite sure what the whole thing is about. No one holds a gun to anyone's head making them choose one or the other configuration. Instead they choose based on research, environment they dive, training and safety reasons.
Standardization only brings about safer diving practices sorry just my opinion. I am not trying to argue. Obviously what ever configuration a diver chooses is only as safe as the diver him or her self. Training and skill levels have to be considered not to mention comfort levels. Every diver chooses their own goals and their own destiny.
Scuba Police and DIR Swat can only do so much the rest of us just try to help others choose what works best for their environment safely based upon our experience and opinion of coarse. Personally I want to promote safe diving principals at all times in either Rec. or Tech. If the DIR is what you choose train with it and dive is well.
If you choose to use the octo in the triangle so be it, train with it and dive it well.
Safety is the primary concern and enjoyment of diving should be the next concern.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom