Not understanding the "whole thing"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear the sirens of the scuba police in the distance

Here's few names to call it.

DASS - divers against safe seconds
DAO - divers against octopusses
DAHL - divers against hog loopers (different topic)
DAEOD - divers against elevator & octo diving

And my favorite, and one I'm a proud member of,
DAPS - divers against pink sh_t.
That seems like an awful lot of negative energy going to waste.

Why should there be "divers against" any of that stuff? It's a recreation ... not a political affiliation.

Just do what works for you and don't waste energy worrying about what other folks are doing.

Believe it or not there are still some divers that just dive normal stuff of whatever configuration and what works for them.
Here's a report from diver.net about a few old guys out for a day of diving. These guy's (and gal) have been diving for years and have seen it all. They're not hog loopers or some other sect, their just out having fun. Notice the horse collar and back pack.
The pile of bugs speaks for itself.

http://diver.net/bbs/posts002/80885.shtml
There are a couple situations I can think of where hog looping (interesting term, that) isn't optimal. Solo diving is one of them ... due to the fact that there really isn't a need for an efficient buddy bailout system when you don't have a buddy. Another is working dives. I've helped out on a few dives at our local dive park ... and to be honest about it, the long hose got in the way (and I switched over to a short hose for the next dive) and the work was really hard on a drysuit ... which is why the "regulars" up there all wear wetsuits.

"Bugging", on the other hand ... my friends and I hunt for dungeness. We use long hoses, scooters, and work as a team. We always catch our limit. Have tons of fun doing it. And have a massive crabfest afterwards. It works for us.

Do what works for you ... and don't waste energy worrying about what other folks are doing.

NWGD,
No.

I hear the sirens of the scuba police in the distance

Not to my concern ... if diving solo without a bailout is how you want to dive, more power to ya. It ain't for me ... when I solo dive, I carry a bailout bottle. It works for me ... and I don't waste energy worrying about what other folks are doing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,
I will readily admit that my way of diving is not for everyone. The way I dive is the way I originally learned and it is the way I am most comfortable. Vintage/minimalist is my preferred style. I know my personal limits and the limits of my equipment and I am very careful to dive within those limits. Since I get narcked easily, my personal depth limit is 90 ft. From that depth I can "blow and go" with no problem and I practice the technique often from various depths. It helps to keep me sharp.

I service my own gear three or more times a year (preseason, mid season, post season) and keep it in like new condition. I am very anal about this and have never, in over four decades of diving, had an equipment failure. Regardless of how recently I last serviced a regulator, if I dive it in silty or salty water, that puppy is disassembled, thoroughly cleaned and serviced that same night. It doesn't take long and it keeps it in top flight condition.

Like I said, my style is not for everyone, especially the newer breed of divers being turned out these days. But I'm comfortable with it. Like you said, each diver has to decide what style and equipment choices is best for him and his way of diving. While I would never ridicule any diver who loads himself down with all the modern bells and whistles, it's just not necessary for me. I like to travel as light and streamlined as possible.

It's supposed to be funny Bob, jeezus, laugh a little.
You honestly can't take me seriously, can you?

Now that you mention it ... nah ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom