Not understanding the "whole thing"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine uses petrol. It avoids confusion and embarassment, I don't think it would run well on nitrox 32.

It would if you put it in the air intake and not the petrol tank.

... when air became something you put in the tires of your car ... :D

What? You've never heard of the ideal gas laws? Didn't they teach those back when you got certified?

Air is a gas of a specific composition ... but it's not the only gas that people use when they go diving. Hence the need for a more generic term that applies regardless of the composition of what you're breathing.

BTW - some cars use diesel ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
OK, I took your advice,
I went into my LDS today and told them I needed a gas fill. They told me I needed to go to the gas station down at the end of the block.

I can't win!!

OK, I took your advice,
I went into my LDS today and told them I needed a gas fill. They told me I needed to go to the gas station down at the end of the block.

I can't win!!

:rofl3: .....you didn't tell him what kind of gas EAN 22%-100%, trimix, heliox, argon??? I applaude the attempt.....

I thought gas was something I put in the tank of my car.
When did the term for just getting a good old air fill become "gas"?

I believe that cars are being developed to run on hydrogen GAS and oxygen Gas producing water GAS as the product of driving a car. I do not believe that many people have the ability to dive on liquid gas....yet.....except in the movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work at a wastewater treatment plant. We heat the whole place using ass gas ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This whole thing about "primary" and secondary has never been an issue with me. Mainly because I've never used an octopus and have never had one hooked up to my regulator. Anyone with whom I have been diving knew how to buddy breathe. If they didn't know how, I went solo.

This whole thing about "primary" and secondary has never been an issue with me. Mainly because I've never used an octopus and have never had one hooked up to my regulator. Anyone with whom I have been diving knew how to buddy breathe. If they didn't know how, I went solo.

And I thought I was the only diver never to have had a secondary on my rig. Maybe we should start a non secondary divers club.

Paladin954:
Do you not carry a redundant air supply when you solo dive?

And I thought I was the only diver never to have had a secondary on my rig. Maybe we should start a non secondary divers club.

Mebbe y'all should just go solo diving together ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Here's few names to call it.

DASS - divers against safe seconds
DAO - divers against octopusses
DAHL - divers against hog loopers (different topic)
DAEOD - divers against elevator & octo diving

And my favorite, and one I'm a proud member of,
DAPS - divers against pink sh_t.

Believe it or not there are still some divers that just dive normal stuff of whatever configuration and what works for them.
Here's a report from diver.net about a few old guys out for a day of diving. These guy's (and gal) have been diving for years and have seen it all. They're not hog loopers or some other sect, their just out having fun. Notice the horse collar and back pack.
The pile of bugs speaks for itself.

http://diver.net/bbs/posts002/80885.shtml

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom