"Not Weight Integrated"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

97fxdwg

Registered
Reaction score
Hi-
Sorry for the "Undoubtedly easy to answer and I should already know it" question, but what does "Not Weight Integrated" mean on a BCD? What are the pros and cons?
Thanks

97fxdwg:
Hi-
Sorry for the "Undoubtedly easy to answer and I should already know it" question, but what does "Not Weight Integrated" mean on a BCD? What are the pros and cons?
Thanks

Weight integrated means that the BC can carry dive weights and provide for ditching of all or some of the weight. Non Weight Integrated will not provide for ditchable weight requiring your ditchable weight to be on a belt.

Pros IMO,
Eliminate or reduce weight on the belt.
Since weight is part of the BC it's less likely to ride up when bobbing topside. With a heavy belt the BC is lifting while the weights are pulling down.
One less thing to don if you don't need the belt.
Can accept part of your weight, lightening the belt.
Can be easy to adjust weights between suits, salt/fresh. Compared to rethreading a belt.

Cons IMO:
If you ditch and cannot recover the weights you need to replace the proprietary weight pouches compared to just getting a new belt anywhere. The cost of pouches can be significant. This should rarely be an issue unless you drop them when handing weights up to a boat. :11:
Fully loaded the BC can get very heavy. Typical capacity is 20 pounds ditchable, 10 pounds non ditchable in fixed trim pouches. (add cylider, BC Regulator, etc)
Soft weights are more expensive, may or may not need these.

If I don't go BP/W I will go integrated but plan to keep 16-20 on my belt as ditchable with the balance in the BC. This will keep the belt and BC manageable and let me easily adjust the BC between suit bouyancies and fresh and salt water. It also provides more than one body point for weight placement which can aid in establishing trim.

I'm sure the real divers will add more and if I'm off base we'll both learn something!

Pete

spectrum:
Cons IMO:
If you ditch and cannot recover the weights you need to replace the proprietary weight pouches compared to just getting a new belt anywhere.

Unless you are using a Zeagle BC, in which case you simply re-thread the ripcord, grab some weights from the bucket, and go back to diving!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

:D

ScottZeagle:
Unless you are using a Zeagle BC, in which case you simply re-thread the ripcord, grab some weights from the bucket, and go back to diving!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

:D
Kewl, I have read many times about the rethreading of Zeagles but I didn't realize that's what was happening. No appology needed!

Does that mean the weight can't be removed for boarding? I read that some dive ops encourage doing so.

Pete

Thanks, I had a suspicion that was it, however I am now lost with the ripcord rethreading thing!

97fxdwg:
Thanks, I had a suspicion that was it, however I am now lost with the ripcord rethreading thing!
The ripcord goes through the weights and when you pull it, the weights drop out the bottom, quickly dumping them , but ... not too good if all you wanted to do was to hand them up for boarding :11:

DB

D_B:
The ripcord goes through the weights and when you pull it, the weights drop out the bottom, quickly dumping them , but ... not too good if all you wanted to do was to hand them up for boarding :11:

DB

Actually, a Zeagle ripcord BC has the bottom edge of the weight pocket threaded. Weights can go inside the pocket and be handed up by unzipping the top of the pocket. Zeagle offers some inner weight holders to consolidate the weights into one holder per side you can pull out and hand up to the boat. The weight holders aren't proprietary. You could use old cloth flour bags if you happened to have any...

Tachyon

I've used weight integrated BC's and found that for me a weight harness was the way to go. If you dive warmer water I suppose having adding another 5-6 pounds to your rig is no big deal. On the other hand, for those of us diving cold water and carry 20 - 25 pounds of ditchable weight, it makes your rig very heavy. Just ask the deck hands assisting on a boat dive. I haven't found a weight integrated BC that I trade my bp/wing/harness set up for.

and if you've had the experience of pulling a Zeagle ripcord and rethreading it, from what I hear, you tend to avoid doing it in the future... apparently it's a real PITA to rethread!

Actually its a POP not a PITA to thread the Zeagle Weight system. I would suggest having a introduction to just how simply it is, as oppose to posting what you "hear"

It takes me 2 minutes to rethread the Zeagle ripcord system, anyone that takes longer has not been taught the correct threading method. Of course thats just showing people how simple it is, I have never pulled the ripcord system before, after or during a dive in I guess 250 dives or so.

Cheers
Chris

Back
Top Bottom