Not within the realms of sanity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divmstr223:
That dude is crazy!! I couldn't believe the kind of dives he was pulling consecutively like that....and after his recovery, doing the 300+ foot dives on air...WOW!!!

BIG BRASS ONES for sure...:confused: :14:

Perhaps air was what was available at the time. We are talking the 80's here...

jeckyll:
Perhaps air was what was available at the time. We are talking the 80's here...

I don't disagree with that at all....Just the thought of 300+ feet on air is scary, knowing what we know now.:11: :wink:

Divmstr223: I've got a buddy who learned to dive in the 80's. He tells some crazy stories. It's always interesting to see how much attitudes and practices have changed :)

I guess this guy is one of the few OLD AND BOLD divers who have been very lucky despite their actions.

Anybody read Caverns Measureless to Man? There was another pioneer whose exploits were not only crazy, but amazing because he survived them. Until he didn't, of course, but the dive that killed him was better orchestrated and executed and far better supported than many of the utterly terrifying ones he chronicles in the book.

Great article. I saved it for those interesting recompression discussions.

Poke around a bit more, and you'll find installment two on "confessions of a mortal diver".

IIRC, that was during a trip to the far NW reaches of the Hawaiian archipeligo; involved a sequence of dives with omitted deco on at least a couple, and having to go OFF O2 even though bent because of pulmunary oxygen toxicity.

Richard Pyle is also the guy that really brought forth the value of deep stops, after noting how much better he felt on deep dives where he stopped halfway up for a couple of minutes to use a hypodermic needle to bleed off gas from the swim bladders in captured fish specimens.

He may seem crazy, but he has also contributed a lot to both science and diving/decompression knowledge.

They need to make a National Geographic Explorer movie on this guy. I'd watch it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom