Not within the realms of sanity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hung on every word. Impressive and disturbing at the same time.

Jeff

Charlie99:
Poke around a bit more, and you'll find installment two on "confessions of a mortal diver".

Can you post the URL please? I've found much more stuff; his 97 trip logs (fascinating) but not part 2 of the original posting. Thanks!

jtoorish:
I hung on every word. Impressive and disturbing at the same time.

Jeff

I printed this the other night only to find I was out of ink. I have ink now, can't wait to read. btw, hi Jeff :)

tridacna:
... IMO this guy is completely crazy.
No, he isn't. He's a researcher and scientist who has been pushing the limits at his own risk. He's found pyles of new species, he learned a lot along the way. He implemented the Pyle Stops, deep stops for decompression, long before you could brag about some diluted RGBM on your Suunto. He also wrote The Rebreather Learnier's Guide, a text that has been the bible for may RB divers. Rich has always been very generous sharing his experiences and lessons he learned, and there have been plenty of them.

If you look at the people that have been expanding the limits, may it be on wrecks in the sea or in caves, for research or fun, they all did "crazy" stuff by todays standards. Then again, without them we may well not have these standards today.

archman:
They need to make a National Geographic Explorer movie on this guy.
While it's not a NG movie about him, Rich did some of the diving with Howard Hall (to around 400 ft IIRC) in the IMAX movie Coral Reef Adventure.

And of course the notorious "Hypothermia-induced Tourette Syndrom" documentary features him in the starring role.

caveseeker7:
And of course the notorious "Hypothermia-induced Tourette Syndrom" documentary features him in the starring role.

Some one should post a link again for this(for those who have not seen it). I still have a copy on my desktop, but lost the link somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom