Note to Self... STOP Losing Gear!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've found a lot of snorkels. At first I thought I was just good at finding stuff ... then I realized people were losing them on purpose ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Other than the time the cover plate of a deco regulator came off and drifted down into the abyss, I have never lost anything while diving. It is between dives that I have my problems. (I should be in the running for the national poster child for adult ADD.) Fortunately, it has never been anything really expensive, but it seems as if something disappears every time. Frequently they reappear, but not always. The main one is my wet notes. They just disappear regularly. Someone who may well read this thread soon had to mail them to me once. I don't know how many new ones I have bought.

In many cases, the missing items have been mistakenly taken by other divers. I have a friend who suddenly realized that he had three hoods in his possession, whilst two of us had none. On one trip I was not feeling really confident with my dry suit's recent repair, so I brought another just in case. My suit did indeed leak, and I had it out drying while on another dive. Somehow another group thought it belonged to one of their people and took off with it. (Yes, I was able to track it down.)

The most frustrating time came when I was scheduled to do a deco dive with a group of people after they got some other stuff down earlier in the day. It was a dive I had been looking forward to for a month. I sat around for hours while they took about three times as long as expected. As the afternoon wore on, everyone else who was diving at that remote location packed up and left for home. Finally, it was our turn to the long awaited dive. I got all my gear on and we headed into the water. I reached for my fins and discovered that someone who had just left had taken mine instead of his, and his did not fit me. I was done diving for the trip.

Just look at the bright side :D

Your LDS LOVES you :rofl3:
And you keep the finacial crises far from them :D

My last trip to the caves in Mexico was brutal for breaking gear--2 SPGs and the back-up mask I sat on. I also managed to leave a my Razor wing at security at the Albany Airport(it was there when I came home) and my instructor left my 5/16" nut driver wedged in a tree at Ponderosa.

Other than the time the cover plate of a deco regulator came off and drifted down into the abyss, I have never lost anything while diving. It is between dives that I have my problems. (I should be in the running for the national poster child for adult ADD.) Fortunately, it has never been anything really expensive, but it seems as if something disappears every time. Frequently they reappear, but not always. The main one is my wet notes. They just disappear regularly. Someone who may well read this thread soon had to mail them to me once. I don't know how many new ones I have bought.

In many cases, the missing items have been mistakenly taken by other divers. I have a friend who suddenly realized that he had three hoods in his possession, whilst two of us had none. On one trip I was not feeling really confident with my dry suit's recent repair, so I brought another just in case. My suit did indeed leak, and I had it out drying while on another dive. Somehow another group thought it belonged to one of their people and took off with it. (Yes, I was able to track it down.)

The most frustrating time came when I was scheduled to do a deco dive with a group of people after they got some other stuff down earlier in the day. It was a dive I had been looking forward to for a month. I sat around for hours while they took about three times as long as expected. As the afternoon wore on, everyone else who was diving at that remote location packed up and left for home. Finally, it was our turn to the long awaited dive. I got all my gear on and we headed into the water. I reached for my fins and discovered that someone who had just left had taken mine instead of his, and his did not fit me. I was done diving for the trip.
I can understand others accidentally packing your gear in a hurry thinking its theirs. I've seen my buddies do that to others but they always return it to the owner after they've discovered its not their gear. I was hoping that was the case for my Light Monkey Rat Jr and the soft weights at the local quarry but no one has returned them.

Just look at the bright side :D

Your LDS LOVES you :rofl3:
And you keep the finacial crises far from them :D

Yep, that's me, the lone diver stimulating our desperate economy. :rofl3:

I was on a dive boat and was diving both morning and afternoon dives. A diver just on the morning boat had the same fins as me and took mine accidentally. It wasn't discovered until we were getting ready to jump in and her SIZE SMALL fins didn't fit my feet. Luckily the boat had an extra pair that did fit. The woman was waiting for us when we got back to the dock....

I've found a lot of snorkels. At first I thought I was just good at finding stuff ... then I realized people were losing them on purpose ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
You could open a snorkel shop. :D

... I use them as Christmas decorations ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'd like to see that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom