Novice, Intermediate, Advanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It isn't like skiing where the steepness of terrain combined with condition management (grooming) equals green•circles, blue∏squares, or black◊diamonds.

To some extent, the characterizing of dive sites in this manner helps sell dive guides and maps. (After all, there are no pine trees to post trail signs on at the top:crafty:)

The ratings in Skiing are relative to that location. A black diamond in Colorado can be significantly different than a black diamond in NC. And the main difference between blue and black is not the steepness, but whether it's groomed. I don't know who rates dive sites, but there probably is a bit of that same relativity to it also.

I think several people have touched on the issue here in their attempt to define a site's rating. How much a site differs from a diver's prior learning and experience is the real key.

This is complicated by the fact that a given site may have different "areas". For example: if you stay on the coral head, then its an easy dive. If you follow the coral head down the wall, it is more difficult (intermediate). If you explore the cavern/cave that is deep down the wall, it more advanced.

But, what if I have done many cavern dives and wreck penetrations, but never a deep wall dive with drift? Does that mean cavern dives are intermediate and deep dives are advanced?

I avoid categorizations into simple labels for dive sites. Instead, I read what people say is present at the site and compare it to my experiences, training, and current equipment and current state of health/mind.

The whole concept of attempting to define sites as Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, etc., as though they were ski slopes seems a bit odd. On a bad day everything is a double black diamond dive and given the preparation of most divers today, even on the best of days very few sites are the bunny slope.

I think dhuskins above put it well. It's not about labeling sites. It's about learning about the site and comparing it to your experience level with those conditions. With diving the "conditions" is the key concept.

Thal's right there are no bunny slopes in diving but I've been to a few sites that sure seemed like a bunny slope.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom