Nurse Shark Attack!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, if I had the preferred plan, then I'd expect them to cover me.
My comment about snorkeling didn't say anything about the preferred plan though- it was about whether if the guy was snorkeling instead of wading, would DAN cover him. It's possible to snorkel with a beer in your hand. They don't just cover SCUBA dives. It appears their handbook actually doesn't say what they consider an official "skin dive"- so would wading with a snorkel, and sticking your head down to see things actually count (which is how I typically snorkel, whether I can touch the ground or not; I rarely submerge myself), or do you need to be breaking an actual depth limit akin to competitive free diving?

DAN preferred plan isn't really an economical option for -me-, because I have much better insurance available at a much lower cost for non-dive related things.

$35 a year more for secondary coverage (DAN picks up what your primary insurance carrier doesn't) isn't economically feasible for you? Um, ok.

$35 a year more for secondary coverage (DAN picks up what your primary insurance carrier doesn't) isn't economically feasible for you? Um, ok.

I already have really good travel insurance that I don't pay for at all (work benefit); and it covers what my primary medical insurance (which has excellent international coverage) doesn't.

ETA: I actually do have DAN preferred, I was thinking of their top tier, which is not worth it for me (it provides medical evacuation, which is my main reason for travel insurance, but I already have that). Sorry to be argumentative- I do agree Prefered is better than their bottom tier. But DAN preferred only gives you $10k of non-dive medical (accident- as someone said, it doesn't cover non-accidents, so you'd still need travel insurance) coverage, which would cover this, but not that much else. Does help that Mexico's medical charges are more reasonable than the US, I guess it would go further there.

The Master plan is a very good one. Every year I plan to change to it, but then get the Preferred.

When looking over the handbook, I noted that TravelAssist claims that it will front the money for a hospital admittance up to $5,000. Since Cozumel hospitals seem to like getting payment up front, has anyone here ever used this DAN benefit to help raise the needed cash?

---------- Post added April 21st, 2014 at 08:59 AM ----------

The Master plan is a very good one. Every year I plan to change to it, but then get the Preferred.
I changed back to Master when I realized I was pretty much duplicating the coverage I got under Preferred with outside trip insurance. It's not a big difference in price, but why pay for something you don't need?

With it's $125k lifetime cap though, it seems like it wouldn't take much to max that out. The $250k per occurance seems worth the extra money, as Christi pointed out, the difference in cost is minimal. Guess it depends how bad your dive accident is.

Yeh - the top tier plan is a new one. I was referring to the preferred plan which is what I was referring to in the previous post - should have been more literal. Even $10,000 would help as a secondary coverage for sure.

Couple things..(1)glad they sent a "quality emergency ambulance"-would have been TERRIBLE if an inferior one would have shown up and (2) I don't believe this--NO video is out there & EVERYONE including newbies carry a GoPro these days..:)

---------- Post added April 19th, 2014 at 10:39 AM ----------

Remember its translated from a Spanish article I am always very cautious about criticizing grammar or meaning of phrases in translated work. Say like the Bible...lol

With it's $125k lifetime cap though, it seems like it wouldn't take much to max that out. The $250k per occurance seems worth the extra money, as Christi pointed out, the difference in cost is minimal. Guess it depends how bad your dive accident is.
$125K is pretty adequate for just about any dive accident, especially if one has primary coverage back in the States. If you already had one expensive incident and are near the lifetime cap, simply upgrade to Preferred then.

Yeh - the top tier plan is a new one. I was referring to the preferred plan which is what I was referring to in the previous post - should have been more literal. Even $10,000 would help as a secondary coverage for sure.
[-]I'm confused, which happens. The top tier plan is the Preferred plan, and it's not new. [/-] See below discussion...

Remember its translated from a Spanish article I am always very cautious about criticizing grammar or meaning of phrases in translated work. Say like the Bible...lol
I wonder how google translate would do with the original Gospels? Better than the politicians did maybe?

Last edited:
I'm confused, which happens. The top tier plan is the Preferred plan, and it's not new. :confused:

Nope, the top tier is Guardian, which costs $125 a year and offers quite a bit more coverage, both dive accident and otherwise. (Including 100k for medical transportation.)

Back
Top Bottom