Nurse Shark Attack!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is one on Calle 1 back between 55 and 60 - in that vicinity

There is the General Hospital on 11th between 15 and 20

And the IMSS Hospital is on 11th at the corner of 30th (it's dark green). Our IMSS facility is very small, but in other parts of Mexico - even in Playa and Cancun the IMSS hospitals are very big and much nicer. Patients are often transferred there for more serious cases due to better facilities.

Pedro's father was recently very ill and was transferred to Cancun IMSS and received excellent care, actually saved his life and is making a full recovery.

I guess I shouldn't call the social security hospital the public hospital as I guess you have to have SS insurance coverage for treatment.

All in all, I have to say I loved our encounter with the CMC. The missus tried to catch a falling glass in the sink at the condo. Put a good slice on 3 fingers, two needing stitches. We ran over to the Clinica San Miguel on 6th. Ran through their ER. Nice nurse, good Doc, some lidocaine, some stitches, some antibiotic. Cost 271.92 US with drugs (I looked it up), I got cash back on my credit card, BC reimbursed me for the whole thing and I didn't even bother the trip insurance people. And that was the gringo rate! Took 40 minutes maybe. Loved it. I isn't like JHH at home, but they did a great job cheap and quick. Can you imagine a trip to the ER for less than 3 Benjamins and less than an hour? Cash is king...

And there are like 5 docs and the Dori pharmacy that are apparently 'in network' for me on BC. Well, probably not that easy, but they are accepted providers at least.

Nope, the top tier is Guardian, which costs $125 a year and offers quite a bit more coverage, both dive accident and otherwise.
Ah ha, I did not know that the U.S. program (underwritten by The United States Life Insurance Company in the City of New York and is administered by DAN Services, Inc.) was partially upgraded to include the changes already made in the Canadian program (underwritten by Chartis Insurance Company of Canada and is administered by RTM Benefit Partners, Inc.) - as I just looked at the options for Texas. I should have taken the hint and looked at the other states since I knew that was a new choice, but I just hadn't. I guess Christi had looked since she deals with customers from all over.

If you answer Yes to this choice...
1.jpg
Then you can select from these...
2.jpg

Otherwise, still the old plan choices including the Standard/Basic plan I bad mouth so much.
3.jpg

All such changes have to be approved by respective state insurance departments which takes time and politics, I know,.

(Including 100k for medical transportation.)
Nope, that's still the main benefit of Travelers Assist, a feature of membership, I think. Available if over 50 miles from home, in the US or not, but must be arranged thru DAN.
4.JPG
5.JPG

but how did you know since it's not available in your state - or is there even newer info?
I went to DAN, it asked if I lived in the USA, it asked if I lived in a list of states, that included Iowa, I said yes- and I got the three options. They were the same options as when I bought coverage last summer.

Ah ha, I did not know that the U.S. program (underwritten by The United States Life Insurance Company in the City of New York and is administered by DAN Services, Inc.) was partially upgraded to include the changes already made in the Canadian program (underwritten by Chartis Insurance Company of Canada and is administered by RTM Benefit Partners, Inc.) - as I just looked at the options for Texas. I should have taken the hint and looked at the other states since I knew that was a new choice, but I just hadn't. I guess Christi had looked since she deals with customers from all over, but how did you know since it's not available in your state - or is there even newer info? I know that some of DAN's dive insurance pages are out of date, but I think the info on this page is current: https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/scuba-dive-insurance/?

If you answer Yes to this choice...
Then you can select from these...

Otherwise, still the old plan choices including the Standard/Basic plan I bad mouth so much.

All such changes have to be approved by respective state insurance departments which takes time and politics, I know,.

Nope, that's still the main benefit of Travelers Assist, a feature of membership, I think. Available if over 50 miles from home, in the US or not, but must be arranged thru DAN.

DD, save me all the reading. Is that medical evac good for any medical issue?

My preferred just renewed automatically and didn't even mention the upgrade available.

I went to DAN, it asked if I lived in the USA, it asked if I lived in a list of states, that included Iowa, I said yes- and I got the three options. They were the same options as when I bought coverage last summer.
Sorry, I goofed. Your state is in the group that gets the new options. I edited my last post.

DD, save me all the reading. Is that medical evac good for any medical issue?

My preferred just renewed automatically and didn't even mention the upgrade available.
Blah! You should read up on your coverage enough to understand it, but my understanding is: Yes, any medical medevac need, as long as you are over 50 miles from home and arrange it thru DAN.

The Preferred plan is still a good plan, even the Master plan is decent, and I am glad they are dumping the Standard/Basic plan. Your state is approved for the Guardian, but that's not going to be a big seller I don't think.

Sorry, I goofed. Your state is in the group that gets the new options. I edited my last post.

Blah! You should read up on your coverage enough to understand it, but my understanding is: Yes, any medical medevac need, as long as you are over 50 miles from home and arrange it thru DAN.

The Preferred plan is still a good plan, even the Master plan is decent, and I am glad they are dumping the Standard/Basic plan. Your state is approved for the Guardian, but that's not going to be a big seller I don't think.

I was looking at their travel plans. Figure at least 3-4 trips to Coz a year, buying trip insurance every time, maybe the year round isnt bad? Of course I only really want medical and evac. I don't care about delay or cancellation.

I was looking at their travel plans. Figure at least 3-4 trips to Coz a year, buying trip insurance every time, maybe the year round isnt bad? Of course I only really want medical and evac. I don't care about delay or cancellation.
Well, the medevac is a DAN member benefit. Dive insurance and trip insurance are not the same altho some benefits can overlap/split expenses. If you have DAN membership and dive insurance and only want to add medical, there are companies that sell it alone - some rated A+ by best, but there is more to that story. Travel Insurance Plans Overview - InsureMyTrip

I've lost the plot. Did the diver get bit by a shark and not just skin burned from shark skin burn? If bit by a shark, was it a nurse shark or a bull or what?

Well, the medevac is a DAN member benefit. Dive insurance and trip insurance are not the same altho some benefits can overlap/split expenses. If you have DAN membership and dive insurance and only want to add medical, there are companies that sell it alone - some rated A+ by best, but there is more to that story. Travel Insurance Plans Overview - InsureMyTrip

Yea, I have been just getting the FrontierMedex thing for medical for a bit. They seem well rated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom