NYC dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo:
Here's a another opinion on another LDS I have visited. Scuba World in Fushing. Very tiny place, almost no stock, frequently being staffed by a young kid who doesn't know much about SCUBA or by someone who doesn't speak English very well, not worth the trip, decent prices on what little is in stock though. I brought my steel tanks in to get a fill and the kid had never seen HP tanks before. He was very friendly though.

Reading this post again made me realize that what I wrote seems harsh but I have decided not to change a word because I want to be honest.

This is strange because I just called them on Monday and a young guy answered the phone with zero enthusiasm. Ok, no big deal. I said I was on the way out to buy a new log book. We don't have any but I could order it for you. Nah, I'm leaving on Sunday. A Dive Shop with no log books?

you also have Captain Mikes in the Bronx on City Island @7198 885 1588 a PADI/ ANDI facility..dives locally -trips-equipment sales,repairs. niitrox etc...Ran by former NYPD scuba team detective..

oly5050user:
you also have Captain Mikes in the Bronx on City Island @7198 885 1588 a PADI/ ANDI facility..dives locally -trips-equipment sales,repairs. niitrox etc...Ran by former NYPD scuba team detective..

What are some of the sites they go to?

oly5050user:

Good to know. I am not yet familiar with him. I'll have to change that. Thanks!

evad:
I think:
You should probably call scubatoys (loads of help and warranty @ LP prices).

Scubadobadoo and I are also Larry’s regular customers. I have already put a few thousand dollar to Scubatoys. I am going to take off tomorrow morning to visit my family in NY, so I just want to check out the dive shops over there. There is no decent dive shop in my area. Hey, whatelse can I do for a long T-Giving weekend (you know I can’t dive for a while) in NY?:05:

scubadobadoo:
Here's a another opinion on another LDS I have visited. Scuba World in Fushing. Very tiny place, almost no stock, frequently being staffed by a young kid who doesn't know much about SCUBA or by someone who doesn't speak English very well, not worth the trip, decent prices on what little is in stock though. I brought my steel tanks in to get a fill and the kid had never seen HP tanks before. He was very friendly though.

Reading this post again made me realize that what I wrote seems harsh but I have decided not to change a word because I want to be honest.

I know this shop and I got my regulators from this shop when they are SP authorized dealer. The owner, Jay, is the only one who can speak English, I think. The shop is mostly based on their own people. And, depending on the item, you can get some good deals.

Jason. You must have been many shops in N.Y. Thanks.

oly5050user:

Capt. Mike is a good guy, and I like him as a person, but his shop just doesn't have the s*** together. every time I needed something - if Mike is not there - they wouldn't know the price and had to call or Page mike when he is not there, which is annoying. I needed buy a tank, and they actually couldn't sell it to me on that day because they didn't know what to charge me and couldn't reach Mike on the phone.. that's just silly., and he is losing business because of that unnecessarily. Then, my gear was serviced there a few times, but I would often had to come back with it, as it wasn't working properly after the service (regulator annual service - I get on a dive site the next week to use it first time after the service, and the backup free flowing and there is nothing I could do - I actually had to send it to SeaQuest to get it fixed for an extra $20).. then did a VIP, valve service, and O2 clean on a tank... get on a dive site the tank is nearly empty - so I figured, the valve might have gotten opened in the car, so I refill it, and the valve is leaking... turns out the burst disk assembly was bad.. had to change the burst disk.. yuck!) Then, he comes to our clubs and donates various free classes as raffles. I win Equipment Specialty (PADI)... twice I had to go to his shop to get the class done, and every time he was't very enthusiastic about it (because it was free), and when it would get late and he wanted to go home.. so he said to come back another time to finish the class... I never did.

sorry, sounds harsh too, but that's just my experience. like I said, I like the guy, and I wish and mean well for his business. he has decent prices and good on discounts (but you have to ask), he also supported out dive club on many occasions, and he has very good prices on rental stuff and fills. so, if you are near that shop or find yourself easy to get there, then by all means, use it.

VTernovski:
Capt. Mike is a good guy, and I like him as a person, but his shop just doesn't have the s*** together. every time I needed something - if Mike is not there - they wouldn't know the price and had to call or Page mike when he is not there, which is annoying. I needed buy a tank, and they actually couldn't sell it to me on that day because they didn't know what to charge me and couldn't reach Mike on the phone.. that's just silly., and he is losing business because of that unnecessarily. Then, my gear was serviced there a few times, but I would often had to come back with it, as it wasn't working properly after the service (regulator annual service - I get on a dive site the next week to use it first time after the service, and the backup free flowing and there is nothing I could do - I actually had to send it to SeaQuest to get it fixed for an extra $20).. then did a VIP, valve service, and O2 clean on a tank... get on a dive site the tank is nearly empty - so I figured, the valve might have gotten opened in the car, so I refill it, and the valve is leaking... turns out the burst disk assembly was bad.. had to change the burst disk.. yuck!) Then, he comes to our clubs and donates various free classes as raffles. I win Equipment Specialty (PADI)... twice I had to go to his shop to get the class done, and every time he was't very enthusiastic about it (because it was free), and when it would get late and he wanted to go home.. so he said to come back another time to finish the class... I never did.

sorry, sounds harsh too, but that's just my experience. like I said, I like the guy, and I wish and mean well for his business. he has decent prices and good on discounts (but you have to ask), he also supported out dive club on many occasions, and he has very good prices on rental stuff and fills. so, if you are near that shop or find yourself easy to get there, then by all means, use it.

You just saved me a trip. Thanks. This is why I say, places that seem cheap are cheap for a reason, which is not always a good thing. If that's the way he treated me I would not think he was such a nice guy. You could have been hurt with the bad gear service you got at that shop. That would not happen at the place I get my stuff serviced. Thanks but I'lll pay the few extra bucks to be safe.

pilot fish:
You just saved me a trip. Thanks. This is why I say, places that seem cheap are cheap for a reason, which is not always a good thing. If that's the way he treated me I would not think he was such a nice guy. You could have been hurt with the bad gear service you got at that shop. That would not happen at the place I get my stuff serviced. Thanks but I'lll pay the few extra bucks to be safe.

your mileage may vary as they say. I know tons of other people that are perfectly happy with his shop, so I didn't mean to put down that shop by any means...

lol.. but now I am laughing at myself again because I just remembered that actually the service wasn't cheap; my regulators were given for annual service along with the tanks to be O2 cleaned (converted for Nitrox)... he took a liberty of also O2 cleaning my regs (even though I didn't ask for it) and charged me extra for that. When I asked why, he said it was a package deal along with cleaning the tanks.. oh well. I guess those silly green ANDI hose protectors that he put on my regs with the date of the service punched out cost a lot.

VTernovski:
your mileage may vary as they say. I know tons of other people that are perfectly happy with his shop, so I didn't mean to put down that shop by any means...

lol.. but now I am laughing at myself again because I just remembered that actually the service wasn't cheap; my regulators were given for annual service along with the tanks to be O2 cleaned (converted for Nitrox)... he took a liberty of also O2 cleaning my regs (even though I didn't ask for it) and charged me extra for that. When I asked why, he said it was a package deal along with cleaning the tanks.. oh well. I guess those silly green ANDI hose protectors that he put on my regs with the date of the service punched out cost a lot.

This guy is not sounding so good to me, nor his shop. I think I'll pass. You might want to consider service at a different place next time?

pilot fish:
This guy is not sounding so good to me, nor his shop. I think I'll pass. You might want to consider service at a different place next time?

anyway, to summarize:

also, in New York (but not the city, the state of NY), is the shop that I now use... it's All About Scuba in Vestal NY. http://www.allaboutscuba.com
Big things such as Dive Training, Halcyon products and DUI suits, regulators, I get from there.. They also service all my regs and cylinders.

Cheap stuff such as fins and masks I get from LP (I work across the street from them, so it's just fast, cheap and easy for me; I would never buy anything else there other than maybe o-rings)

Gas fills and sometimes other big gear such as tanks, I get from Stingray Divers.

Sometimes I go to Hoboken Dive center across the river for fills. Sofia who works there is super nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom