Oceanic Alpha 7 or Dacor Eagle? Advise Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

four_engines

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum so here goes a virgin post...

I need all the advise I can get on which reg to choose:

1. Oceanic Alpha 7 (2nd Stage) with SP4 (1st Stage), or
2. Dacor Eagle (1st & 2nd Stage)

These being low-end models, u can probably guess that I'm only a recreational diver. I'd be diving in warm tropical waters most of the time and will be doing a fair bit of travelling.

Thanks in advance for all advise!

---

FYI, BTW, I'm offered the regs with these packages:

1. Oceanic, Alpha 7 octo, with Ocean Pro BCD, and Maxdepth 2-in-1 gauge
2. Dacor, Eagle octo, with Condor BCD, and Supreme Compactt gauge

It'll be great if u let me know what u think about the packages too!

F/E

I just returned from a liveaboard trip where I used the Ocean Pro QLR BC and Alpha 7 regulator as rental gear. I had no problems with the gear, whatsoever. The regulator performed great, even at 120 ft. Also, the BC was simple to use and worked fine. I would recommend this gear as a beginner level set.

Stay away from the Oceanic sp4, it is an unbalanced piston, and the Alpha 7 is an unbalanced 2nd stage, Im not sure about the 2nd stage on the Dacor but I dont think it can be as bad as the sp4 wich my dive bud had had in the shop more than hes had in the water.

I think that seeing the reg that you picked, the unbalanced part won't bother you too much. One thing I will say is that given their current status, I would stay away from the dacor. Ocenic has a good rep, parts for life and are pretty good performers.

I use the Alpha 7 and from what i have experienced its bulleproof. The thing takes regular abuse and has been on countless dives with me. Its paired up with the PX2 and it seems like a sensative choice. I have taken it to 130 and seems fine (its nothing like a 600 reg but hey) one thing though is that the alpha breathes wet sometimes when i become inverted. thats all i got :wink:

rescuediver009:
I think that seeing the reg that you picked, the unbalanced part won't bother you too much. One thing I will say is that given their current status, I would stay away from the dacor. Ocenic has a good rep, parts for life and are pretty good performers.

Hi rescuediver009, when u say stay away from Dacor, why? What's with their current status? Pardon this ignoramus... :)

I meant that Dacor has recently been bought by Mares. Mares decided to make it difficult to get parts for dacor regs. Now I am not too sure about the newer models, but if you have anything older than a couple of years it is impossible to get parts for. So just be careful what you buy that's all. Like I said I am not sure about the newer models so double check.

rescuediver009:
I meant that Dacor has recently been bought by Mares. Mares decided to make it difficult to get parts for dacor regs. Now I am not too sure about the newer models, but if you have anything older than a couple of years it is impossible to get parts for. So just be careful what you buy that's all. Like I said I am not sure about the newer models so double check.

Thanks. But ignoring the company buyover, what's your appraisal of the Dacor Eagle? Or what's your opinion on Dacor products in general?

F/E

The whole parts thing about dacor has been a bit blown out of proportion... The new Dacor stuff has been redesigned by Mares - and is pretty good stuff. They all come out of the same factory in Italy. And there is no problem with support of parts for any of the newer stuff... since 98 when Head sports acquired Dacor.

We've had great success with the Eagles, after selling hundreds of them, the only one we've had come back was one that the purge button fell out... Probably the customer bounced it on something a cracked the little prongs that hold it in... but no worries, we just popped in a new purge button for them and that was that.

In the $150 price range - It's a great little reg... Don't expect it to be the same as a $500 atomic - but without spending $100 more for an Aeris or Zeagle, - I think it's a pretty good choice.

scubatoys:
We've had great success with the Eagles, after selling hundreds of them, the only one we've had come back was one that the purge button fell out... Probably the customer bounced it on something a cracked the little prongs that hold it in... but no worries, we just popped in a new purge button for them and that was that.

Thanks Scubatoys. So do u sell the Oceanic Alpha 7 as well? So, between the 2...?

F/E

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom