Oceanic Atom 1.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I just checked mine (manufactured 09/04) and for the first time it reads Low Battery. But when I initiate a battery check it reads 'good'?! So which do you trust?

Works just fine, display is all good. Odd. The problem is that it's always on, acting like a watch as well......I would prefer it to be like any other PDC and shut off after 2 hours.

I just recieved my new ATOM the other day and had the same problem, the LCD numbers dissapeared when looking straight on. Then I noticed the low battery warning was on.
I replaced the battery and the LCD was clear and fine, just like a usual digital watch display. However, messing with it later, I activated the backlight and noticed it flickering on and off, not a constant light for the 10 second duration. I sent it in for replacement and have yet to recieve it back. I hope like usual internet chatter, we're just the loud minority that is have some bad luck with the ATOM as I'm very excited to use it.

ScottCocoaBeach:
I purchased an Atom last Friday night before a dive on Saturday. I used in on 2 dives and was very impressed with it, although I had a concern with the screen. I didn't really notice while diving, but while on land if viewed straight on, it basically dissapeared. I had to tilt it to see the LCD. I don't know if this is an a feature for diving so you don't have to turn your arm to see it and can just view at an angle.

Anyway, I pulled it out Sunday night to review the logs. I put in on my wrist and before I had a chance to press any buttons I heard a beep. Once I realized what was beeping I looked down to see it had reset itself with time and date back to start.

I checked battery status and it said okay. Battery was packed new and put in on Friday night. I packed it all up in the box to return it. A few hours later I checked on it again. I took it out of the box, again pressing no buttons, and heard it beep and reset. This time the battery said low. I opened the case to check for any signs of water intrusion, and it was dry. Reinstalled battery and the unit went dead.

May have just been a defective unit or even a defective battery, but I just lost confidence in the computer. I ended up returning it and getting my wife and I Pro Plus 2 computers.

I like the large screen and additional information you get on these. Very simple interface with lots of info.

In the end I thought the Atom was "cool" but wasn't totally confident in it's build quality. I feel much better with the Pro Plus 2s. If I ever go with a "watch" style computer I will probably choose a Suunto. I own a few of their products and feel their build quality is much better. I like they fast they use a real crystal on their face and not just plastic that will easily scratch.

I will say that the Atom software, while not very good, is much better than the Oceanlog software for the Pro Plus 2. I hope they move these and other computers over to the newer software soon, but who knows if this will ever happen. In the mean time I purchased Scubase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom