Oceanic Atom 1.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie:
Has anyone tried the OceanLog (Atom) v 10.0.2 patch? Any improvement?

That was my next question. Did they fix the problems with Oceanlog. I am looking for a wireless, watch sized computer but without the D9 pricetag. I guess the Atom is the only other game in town. Maybe I'll wait until the D9 comes down in price a bit, if it ever does. Two of my dive buddies have them and LOVE them!! Just like anything else though, you get what you pay for.

jetfixer:
That was my next question. Did they fix the problems with Oceanlog. I am looking for a wireless, watch sized computer but without the D9 pricetag. I guess the Atom is the only other game in town. Maybe I'll wait until the D9 comes down in price a bit, if it ever does. Two of my dive buddies have them and LOVE them!! Just like anything else though, you get what you pay for.

What is your biggest problem with the Atom, The soft wear has a few glitches but not a huge deal and the battery life may not be as long as you might hope for (small hearing aid battery). I have had mine for almost a year and all I have had to do is change a $6.00 battery, What’s the big deal.

They did have a batch that had a flooding problem but I think that was just one batch, Have not hear much since then about it. The D9 has had its share of quirks too. Most divers that I see that have them like them, simple, easy to read and is a bit more agresive than the D9. If you what to dive more conservative, just set it that way. It's just like setting your PO level for nitrox at 1.5 instead of 1.6.

Mine has been fine and I have about 60 dives on it.

JB

The low battery signal just started up on mine. I have had it for only a few months, though I don't know how many dives...

I hope it is just low battery related, bugt many of the watch/computer functions have ceased now that the low battery symbol has come up. The light wont go on and I cannot access the dive log...

JAG

JAG

jagfish:
I hope it is just low battery related, bugt many of the watch/computer functions have ceased now that the low battery symbol has come up. The light wont go on and I cannot access the dive log...

The backlight won’t work when the battery is low (according to the Atom manual). You should be able to access the dive log though.

The light part makes sense...
Hope the dive log is not messed up.
Seems fast for the battery to have gone, just a few months, though I don't know the dive count. Might be about 60, which would concur with what another poster said.

How has your battery been doing, Vie?

JAG

jagfish:
How has your battery been doing, Vie?

See http://www.scubaboard.com/t85922-.html

I did fire off a couple of (somewhat) angry e-mails to OceanicUSA, but they have not replied—typical!

The battery has been changed but I haven’t dived with the Atom since. I’m off to the Similans on Tuesday and will report on the Atom (hopefully it’ll survive a trip THIS time) when I get back.

BTW, how was your trip to Bangkok, Jag?

jnb2b1:
What is your biggest problem with the Atom, The soft wear has a few glitches but not a huge deal and the battery life may not be as long as you might hope for (small hearing aid battery). I have had mine for almost a year and all I have had to do is change a $6.00 battery, What’s the big deal.

They did have a batch that had a flooding problem but I think that was just one batch, Have not hear much since then about it. The D9 has had its share of quirks too. Most divers that I see that have them like them, simple, easy to read and is a bit more agresive than the D9. If you what to dive more conservative, just set it that way. It's just like setting your PO level for nitrox at 1.5 instead of 1.6.

Mine has been fine and I have about 60 dives on it.

JB

I don't have a problem with the atom, just read posts about Oceanlog not being too friendly. Although the Atom appears to be a great computer, I have ordered a D9.

OK, am back from the Similans. Did 15 dives. Atom performed flawlessly after battery change (although I was surprised to note that it was somewhat more aggressive than my gf’s Datamax Pro Plus). Changing the sampling rate to 15 sec. seemed to have solved the memory/battery drain problem.

I just purchased my Atom. I plan on diving it with a data trans plus as a backup (both reading from the same xmitter) while in FL next week. I will give my opinions on it when I return.

I've read the manual, and it looks pretty straight forward and easy to use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom