Oceanic Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to skew the results too much, but my wife and I each have a Versa Pro. While I love the computer itself (easy controls, fairly intuitive, etc.), I've had a ton of problems trying to download it to my PC. There are a coupld of threads on scubaboard talking about this - seems like it works fine for some people, and others have problems. Anyway, I was working with their tech support (who were sending me patched versions to try out), but I ended up giving up without a solution. We finally went on some more dives, so I've got to revisit the issue - maybe it'll magically work for me.

I believe that the Versa Pro is a completely different computer (possibly different original manufacturer) than the Data Maxes (from what I've read - not 100% sure on this), so the download software and interface is different, so this problem may not exist on the others (or they may have fixed the software). Since this was a big requirement of mine, I've been disappointed.

With all that said, on our last dive trip, one of the divers had a new version of the Versa Pro - I think it's the VT Pro (http://www.oceanicww.com/Product.cfm?PL=comp&SL=vtpro). Air integrated and wireless. MSRP is $899 for transmitter and receiver, or $555 for the receiver (i.e. wrist mount computer - presumably, you could them upgrade to air integrated by buying the $459 transmitter).

We got the Versa Pros with the console (compass and presssure gauge), but they were also available in wrist mount. Not sure if the VT Pro is available in a console or not.

As far as comparisons go, Oceanic has a PDF at http://files.oceanicnet.com/PDF_docs/comparison_chart.pdf that compares the VT Pro, Versa Pro, and Pro Plus 2, so you're just missing the Pro Plus.

All that said, I'm happy with our purchase (although I'd be a bit happier if the download worked better). Oh, and if they had sold an air-integrated Versa Pro, I'd have bought it for myself (I'm currently an air hog, so my dives are frequently limited by air and not NDL).

cd_in_SeaTac once bubbled...

The DataMax Pro Plus has some neat trick display options that are rumored to be totally customizable. As well it can be set with Turn pressure and end pressure alarms.

I'd like to hear more about the 'trick' display options, what are those? What are the customization rumors?

Thanks!

ppilot once bubbled...

I'd like to hear more about the 'trick' display options, what are those? What are the customization rumors?

Thanks!

I dive with an Oceanic Data Plus. On my last trip I had a buddy diving with one of the newer AI Oceanics. We were diving FGB (80 to 100 ft profiles) on EAN32. Typically toward the end of dives (1000 psi) showed around 30 minutes of "dive time remaining" while his was showing under 10 minutes. All Oceanic use the same algorithms according to their web site. Discrepency seems to have been that the AI Oceanics also compute an "air time remaining" (ATR) on tank pressure (acutally uses the user alarm setting rather than 0 psi) & breathing rate. It then displays the minimum of NDL and ATR as "air time remaining". While there is also a graphic of each variable, the resolution of the graphics on newer Oceanics is much lowere than on my older version. In fact, my NDL graphic was typically showing around 8 or 9 of the 12 green tick (leaving 3 green plus 3 ticks in the yellow to work with). But his, which had around 6 green and 2 yellow, was typically 1 tick into the yellow at that time. It was very difficult to reconcile our outputs and determine his NDL status.

The problem I'm afraid it can cause is you could set the air alarm at a conservative value (say 1000 psi) and get ATR down to a minute or so. You know you were quite conservative so you decide, for one reason or another, to push the dive a bit more. Maybe you just didn't want to give up that Manta yet and you do have enough of gas left. But unbeknownst to you, your NDL is only 10 seconds greater than your ATR and in a blink of an eye you now have a deco obligation. Still not a major setback from a safety standpoint. Even if it doesn't get worked off as you make your slow ascent, it will be gone before you complete your planned rest stop. So it should be a very manageble problem from a safety standpoint and the deco is probably less of a safety consern than your willingness to abandon the dive plan for a fish. But when you get back on the boat, you might as well go have a beer, because you're finished diving for that day. Hopefully, the 24 hour mandatory surface interval you earned for deco diving will expire before the last dive. If you really don't want to miss the dives, you could loosen the battery compartment at the rest stop and flood the computer so the DM won't see the deco obligation. I guess not; the diving ids good but not that good.

If you don't want all that "help" from that contraption, you could always set the alarm for 0 psi. Now, why did you spend that extra money for AI? Other than the greater expense and unnecessary information, I guess I'm missing the attraction of AI. My first and probably last AI computer has been relegated to third string.

michaelp68 once bubbled...
Thanks for all the responses so far.

Other than the dependence on the computer for your air pressure, are there any other reasons you don't like the air integration?

Actually, that is the main (if not the only) reason I dislike Air Integration. I do like that it calculates the exact PSI but the possibility of it failing when my computer fails is a big factor for me.

zeN|| once bubbled...
I prefer a wrist mount to keep my hands free, so air integrated is not my choice, I use a Versa Pro, and like it very much, very readable, easy to operate, has a port for optional uploading data-the only problem I have is the battery seems to run down faster than I thought it would, and low battery indicator doesn't seem to kick in fast enough zeN

I have the same setup for the exact same reason :D ..... and so far I'm quite happy with it. And btw, it has user changable battery :) ...

khel

The Oceanic Pro Plus2 is a great computer. Air integration is a wonderful feature; I sometimes run out of air before I run out of NDC time and the computer keeps me posted about that all along the way. No failures or indication of failures in 50+ dives. Highly recommended.

I bet after almost three years he's made a decision !!! :wink:

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom