• Aeris 500 AI

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Sunto Cobra

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry.!

Non of the above, I think Uwatec would out perform any of them

& if I was looking for a tech computer I would buy a Nitek 3 or

the new mix gas Vr3 from OMS.

Just my opinion, Dive Safe Nordic Diver

I bought the Oceanic about 3 years ago and used ot for about 5 months. During that time, it served me great. The PC software was lacking at best. After 5 months, I was on a dive breathing nitrox at 28%. I set the computer to 28% and started the dive. After the dive was over, the computer told me the mix was set to 71% (The computer as designed would not allow mixes greater than 50%)

Oddly enough, the exact same thing happend to my buddy on the next dive. His spiked to 55%.

We went back to our LDS and the owner took them back no questions asked and gave us each new Suunto Cobras. I will agree with everyone that these are more conservative computers. Over time, I have discovered that you can increase your bottom time on them by slowing your ascent rates considerably. 10 - 15 fpm not only keeps the computer from penalizing you on subsequent dives ( as faster than 30 fpm will penalize you bottom time on later dives ), but I truly feel less tired after diving as well.

You can also get more bottom time by ascending a few feet every now and then. Say I started a 90' dive, when I start approaching the NDL, I ascend 5 - 10' and get 10 or more minutes added to the NDL. The RGBM algorithms used in the Suunto designed by Bruce Weinke allow for instant recalculation of the NDL on the fly as you ascend. Also, should you go into deco on a dive, the computer will not enforce a stop if you work of the obligation in shallower depths. A slow rolling ascent is key for extending your bottom times as well as eliminating deco obligations should you accrue them.

Additionally, the software on the PC for the Suunto is outstanding compared to the Oceanic. I recently switched from my Cobra to a Stinger and I absolutely love it. A full funtional dive computer on my wrist, and it is barely bigger than a watch.

Hope that helps.

--Rick

There all great computers,

but personally I would have gotten the Cobra for one reason.

Size-when it goes to computers it's the smaller the better for me.

Tekkie

My first dive computer was an Oceanic Datamax. Big sucker eith a nice large display. Unfortunatly, at age 47, with 8 years of Parachut jumping under my belt, it was not my best choice. The dive table that it uses is on the liberal side. At my age, liberal is the last thing I needed.

I now dive the SUUNTO Cobra, which is more conservative, and I have adjusted the personal settings to be very conservative.

Each computer has its advantages and disadvantages. You must weigh these and decide which is best for you. Including which dive table is best for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom