Oceanic Pro Plus 2 vs Suunto Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rozzi

New
Reaction score
Have narrowed my search to these two integrated computers. I have no idea which one to choose. I like the larger display on the Oceanic, but 'm not sure if it has a quick release which I think is important. I'm not very experienced but would like a computer that I can grow with as I expect to dive A LOT more in the future. Any comments from this forum would be welcome.

yes you can get it with a quick release ...i have had one for a few years and i have found it's large face easy to read ...i've never had a problem with it ...i like the downloadable profile also ...really helps to hone your skills when you see it on your computer in front of you ..
keep smiling
Gary

Rozzi:
Have narrowed my search to these two integrated computers. I have no idea which one to choose. I like the larger display on the Oceanic, but 'm not sure if it has a quick release which I think is important. I'm not very experienced but would like a computer that I can grow with as I expect to dive A LOT more in the future. Any comments from this forum would be welcome.

There are two versions of the Pro Plus 2, basic w/ no quick disconnect and the Deluxe with a compass and quick disconnect.

Both will grow with you in recreational diving but if you go towards technical you will most likely want to go to a wrist computer that offers a gauge mode (Veo 250, VT 3 from Oceanic) or even tri mix depending on what philosophy of technical diving you end up doing.

Our computers are more liberal than the Suunto and will do what a computer should do which is give you more bottom time safely. It is easy however to add in more conservative factors with Oceanic computers if the user desires.

Best,

Chris

Choose Oceanic = Large display, feature rich, air integrated, excellent service. Sans a transmitter that works well, what more could one ask for.

As Chris mentioned, Oceanic is not as conservative as Suunto. Suunto seems to be an extreme right wing conservative.

ItsBruce:
I have been thrilled with my Pro Plus 2. ... Only hang up is that I can't download it to a Mac, but I don't think the Cobra will either.

The new MAC will also run windows, apple just announced it....:wink:

Our computers are more liberal than the Suunto and will do what a computer should do which is give you more bottom time safely. It is easy however to add in more conservative factors with Oceanic computers if the user desires.
A lot of divers here suggest Suuntos because "they're safer," but that's just pretty silly. The Oceanics run on a conservative program, while the Suuntos simply penalize needlessly, but - as suggested, if one wants a degree of extra safety, just dial it in on the Oceanic.

I read a thread where the diver claimed his "Oceanic was fine, but he still took a hit," but when I asked if he meant that his Oceanic was in the Green when he left the water, and had not experienced a Rapid Ascent Warning, or if it was just not in the Red - I never got an answer. It does seem that some think they're cool as long as they're not in the Red, but to me - Yellow is caution, do a longer deep stop and longer safety stop to get back to the Green before surfacing, then a Surface Stop before climbing the ladder.

Oceanic computers are certainly safe and conservative, or the legal system would put them out of the business. For recreational diver product friendliness and helpful customer support at their 800-line, they cannot be beat. (I had a couple of problems with the downloader, but after a total of hours on the phone and replacements loaned, they turned out to be on my end - my mistakes, and data corrupted by Roatan airport x-ray.)

Do not read the quick reference card, tho, until you've studied the manual well. Most of the problems I've seen with their computers came from divers who were trying to bluff their way thru using them without study, and DMs meddling without knowledge of how this brand functions. My home buddy and I get together before a trip and run SIM drills, including Oops-Dives we hope never happen. :wink:

One major factor you may want to consider is customer service.
Oceanic, in my opinion, has no equal in that particular area.

the K

I have a Cobra (and I'm not familiar with the Oceanic). Here's a list of things I like, to balance the replies:

Convenient quick disconnect from the HP hose, good user interface, large numbers laid out nicely, good nitrogen model (RGBM), ability to add conservatism, altitude-adjustable, nitrox-capable, dive simulation mode, temperature readout, long battery life, user-replacible battery. What'd I leave out....

A PC interface permits uploading the Cobra's dive data into Suunto's dive manager program on a PC (as a Macintosh user, I bought an inexpensive PC just for this). The program is a software dive log. It does various calculations, including the dive's equivalent Surface Air Consumption (SAC) rate, and you can tag the dive with the location, buddy's name, etc., plus a narrative that you enter. It displays your dive profile (uploaded from the Cobra), and it calculates and displays the nitrogen loads in your tissues as your dive progressed. I personally find that informative. It helps me to visualize what was going on during a dive, and why and how deep stops and safety stops are important. It's a compelling feature, in my book.

I'm uncomfortable when people say one computer is "conservative" and another is "liberal." All models and tables are educated guesses about YOUR tissues and blood in the presence of dissolved nitrogen. Unlike some other things, where we test for the limits then back away somewhat, you don't want to feel your way to where decompression sickness sets in then back off--at least I don't. Doing that means I got bent, and that's not something I want to experience. The Cobra has a respected nitrogen model, although there's no guarantee that it or any other model is best for you or the way you dive.

If you poke around on the internet you can find comparisons of the performance of the performance of the models used by various computers. Try scubadiving.com. The range of results is sobering....

I have used the Pro Plus 2 for a couple of years as well. I will agree with all that was said above concerning both the computer and the company. I have had no problems at all with either. When you talk about being conservative I have to chuckle because I think my Pro Plus 2 is pretty conservative based againist the profiles I run on the computer. Also, if you ascend any where near to quickly you will go into the red and the computer really letsyou know it. This is by no means a bad thing, but it just shows how sensitive it is.

Go with the Oceanic.......

David

Back
Top Bottom