oceanic v suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep stop must be programmed in at the surface before going on a dive. But as an avid and seasoned Oceanic user I'd advise leaving deep stop off and while you ascend stop every 10 feet for a minute. It lowers your nitrogen faster then making a deep stop

Yeah I've done that but I don't see it kick in on the ediving simulator, or in real life ha. What activates the deep stop? Whenever you reach 50% of maximum depth?

I think D4i is a better looking instrument if that is important to you. But personally, I will go with Geo 2.0 for two reason, 1) user replaceable battery. 2)gauge mode.

If battery cost if your concern, then factory or dealer battery replacement will cost significant more than the battery itself. The last thing you want is to not able to replace your battery when you need to.

D4i doesnt have gauge mode.

Advantage goes to Oceanic with both algorithms built in, so if your dive buddy has a Suunto, you could change the algorithm in the Oceanic to match your dive buddy
The algorithms of the Geo 2.0 are Pelagic DSAT and Z+ so IMHO you cannot sync it with a suunto which uses RGBM, but I am sure Alberto knows more about this.

The algorithms of the Geo 2.0 are Pelagic DSAT and Z+ so IMHO you cannot sync it with a suunto which uses RGBM, but I am sure Alberto knows more about this.

I think the statement (which originally comes from Oceanic sales promotion) simply means that you can shift to the Z+ and / or modify your conservative factor until you hit a profile which closely resembles a Suunto D4i.

I am very much interested in this myself as I have just purchased the D4i for my daughter and I have a Geo 2 on the way for myself.

This is from the Oceanic website on the matter

Dive in sync with any buddy, anywhere.

Because the Dual Algorithm allows you to adjust the algorithm basis and its conservatism, you can adjust to closely match just about any other dive computer on the market, allowing you and any buddy to always dive in sync. Diving the same profile increases safety for both divers, and eliminates the need for one person to conduct a much longer or deeper stop when buddying with someone wearing a more liberal dive computer. On repetitive dives, there is no more waiting for the more conservative dive computer to clear. Both buddies will be ready to enter the water at the same time and can continue to dive the same profiles. You can’t control which dive computer your buddy wears, but you can control your ability to dive the same profile.

and this chart
DualAlgor_chart.jpg

Yeah I've done that but I don't see it kick in on the ediving simulator,....
mmmhhhhh ... I need to double check it. Which model?

..... What activates the deep stop? Whenever you reach 50% of maximum depth?
Yes .... for a dive deeper than 80ft.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

---------- Post Merged at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:21 AM ----------

The data for the chart was produced by the folks at the Catalina Chamber during a study commissioned by ScubaLab.
We have entered into divePAL the dive profiles for the 4 test dives so anyone can play with them and see how changing the conservatism levels changes the results.
If you have divePAL tech you can even design your own algorithm/conservativism level (just for learning ... NOT for diving for real)

More info here

Alberto (aka eDiver)

you quote the wrong person :) My post, just above yous, was not the above

The algorithms of the Geo 2.0 are Pelagic DSAT and Z+ so IMHO you cannot sync it with a suunto which uses RGBM, ......
I don't think you can directly compare the 2 algorithms, but you can compare the results they produce.

I don't think you can directly compare the 2 algorithms, but you can compare the results they produce.
I am sure you can do that for a single dive but can you do it for 3 days of repetitive (2-3 dives/day) diving?

Back
Top Bottom