Oceanlog 2.2.2 still not ready for primetime!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad I saw this thread and I'm not the only one having problems. I've had my Oceanic Datamask for sometime, but have been lazy about downloading my dives. After a couple of tries, I finally got the data to download, but got some **crazy** data. Such as, if I look in "Dive Details" it shows me coming back with 1050 in the tank. Yep, sounds like me. But if I go to the "Dive" page it shows me as coming back with only 6 PSI on that very same dive. No way that is right.

And my SAC rate doesn't show, on any dive downloaded. What is up with that? I downloaded 2.x from the Oceanic website, so I do have the latest and greatest software.

Ugh, not good....

I believe you need to enter your tank capacity and working pressure to get Oceanlog to calculate your SAC rate. I haven't tried the latest Oceanlog version (2.2.3 beta), but it would be nice if one could enter a default tank volume and working pressure so the SAC rate calculation is done when the dives are downloaded.

As for "crazy" data, I frequently experience that problem, especially with my older VT Pro computers. Starting and ending tank pressures are frequently incorrect, and I get some wild dive profiles that all appear to be caused by spurious data when downloading the dive (instantaneous depths to a couple hundred feet, dive durations of hours, etc.). I frequently find it necessary to delete the dive and re-download, being careful to not even look at the computer and holding my breath so there is absolutely no interference with the cable connection.

Thus far, downloading data from my Atom 2.0 has been reliable, although the temperature data is incorrect. I have some trouble with my wife's VT3, mainly due to the loose USB connection with my laptop, but it works fine on my desktop computer.

After seeing the previous post, can I assume the problem with the Oceanlog software has been going on for a long time? Had I found this information in my research of the Datamask, I probably would not have purchased the mask/computer. I don't know if I can trust my life to a dive computer designed by a company whose dive log software is full of bugs and appears to have been that way for some time.

Maybe I am overreacting. But I am on the verge of trying to return the Datamask for a refund. I bought the mask/computer because I thought it would add another level of safety to my dives. If I don't have confidence in the software from which the computer operates, then I have wasted $1500.

Let me retort...
1) Gadget - thanks for your purchase and support
2) We have an extraordinarily talented, dedicated team of individuals that have developed one of the most reliable, best supported dive computer design, technology and production available in the world. Period.
3) Our software, quite honestly was developed out of the convenient fact that we have programmed and calibrated our devices via PC interface for many years. Fault us for not investing the resources to develop that product line, but one does not have much impact on the other internally.
4) OceanLog software has a few bugs in this release, as we inevitably do after a significant upgrade -in this case we added functionality to support DAN's PDE program. Should we have released it without further testing? You bet. Should we have caught these before it made it past the programmer? You bet. OceanLog has come a long, long way - and depending on who you ask, actually a good product at this point -thanks in great part to scubaboard.

I've gotten word today that we are addressing any and all reports - another beta version will be posted on the board.

Your advice will be taken in a couple weeks. I'm sure the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico will erase the whole thing from my mind.
In the mean time, I'll try to keep from hitting the :panicbutton:

I just (last week) purchased my very first dive computer (I don't count the PADI wheel that I use to use). A VT3. I haven't even gotten it wet yet, and what do I discover here...

2) We have an extraordinarily talented, dedicated team of individuals that have developed one of the most reliable, best supported dive computer design, technology and production available in the world. Period.
Ok, I have no reason to doubt that. Certainly I like the product - and I did quite a lot of research before making my purchase.

3) Our software, quite honestly was developed out of the convenient fact that we have programmed and calibrated our devices via PC interface for many years. Fault us for not investing the resources to develop that product line, but one does not have much impact on the other internally.
Been there, done that (software is my profession, my degree says M.EE).

4) OceanLog software has a few bugs in this release, as we inevitably do after a significant upgrade -in this case we added functionality to support DAN's PDE program. Should we have released it without further testing? You bet. Should we have caught these before it made it past the programmer? You bet. OceanLog has come a long, long way - and depending on who you ask, actually a good product at this point -thanks in great part to scubaboard.

You probably do NOT want to ask me, but I consider most software as "bad". My experience says engineers make lousy software designers; so do the vast majority of software developers. Well, never mind.

So, can I help make it better? I understand you have a Beta release available? I would be willing to test it. Would you be willing to allow a novice diver, newbie PDC user, but a professional software architect, developer, and author with 35+ years experience, offer some feedback?

I just (last week) purchased my very first dive computer (I don't count the PADI wheel that I use to use). A VT3. I haven't even gotten it wet yet, and what do I discover here...

Ok, I have no reason to doubt that. Certainly I like the product - and I did quite a lot of research before making my purchase.

Been there, done that (software is my profession, my degree says M.EE).

You probably do NOT want to ask me, but I consider most software as "bad". My experience says engineers make lousy software designers; so do the vast majority of software developers. Well, never mind.

So, can I help make it better? I understand you have a Beta release available? I would be willing to test it. Would you be willing to allow a novice diver, newbie PDC user, but a professional software architect, developer, and author with 35+ years experience, offer some feedback?

Check this out from page 1 of this thread

OK - I've got a beta version of 2.2.3 for any willing volunteers:
http://oceanicworldwide.com/software/Oceanlog_2.2.3_Setup.zip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom