Oceanlog Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does Oceanic have plans to update its Oceanlog software to include a Mac version, and if so, what is the time table for release? If not, why not? There are plenty of divers who use Macs, and who absent emulation software cannot use Oceanlog or update the firmware on their computers.

Ha! I logged on this morning to ask the same question. I have the Veo180 & Mac combo and would love to review my dive profiles.

Found this on the Oceanic FAQ site. Link listed below:

"I WANT TO DOWNLOAD THE OCEANLOG BUT HAVE A MAC:
Unfortunately, we do not offer a Macintosh version of the Oceanlog download program, as the program is written using the Microsoft Access database which is not compatible with the Macintosh operating system. However, it is possible to run the Oceanlog program on a Macintosh using one of the commercially available PC-emulation programs, such as Parallels or Boot Camp, which sets up a PC environment within the Mac operating system. While we have not evaluated either program and cannot endorse them, we have received feedback from end-users in the field that this approach has been successful."

Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba and Snorkeling Gear, Scuba and Snorkeling Equipment and Dive Gear

I've had real issues with Oceanlog running in Windows using Parallels (Windows 7; Windows Vista) with my Pro Plus 2.1. But for whatever reason, it plays nicely with my Geo 2. Program tends to stall, throw run-time errors and do lots of other whacky things - only seeing the device if you walk around the room backwards three times begging and pleading with it to work.

I gave up and switched to MacDive.

I am having the same problem. I find this answer unacceptable since Macs are becoming more common. Oceanic needs to adapt to times. I really don't think it would be too hard for someone to create a third party program that will work with a Mac. I will keep looking because I HATE Windows!

@ Thiad - Is MacDive compatible with Oceanic?

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a Mac version. Have you seen the Windows version? It's probably one of the most UNintuitive and poorly written software that I have seen in many, many years. Look at the forums. All users of the software agree. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/oceanic/382994-oceanlog-2-3-0-sucks.html If/when Oceanic/Palegic gets net software, they need completely new software; done by a completely new software writer.

Last edited:
I finally got a mac since I got tired of windows crashing and all the errors. Any computer geeks out there willing to write decent dive software for my proplus?

You can say there are more Mac users but in reality Mac users are still a small minority group then from that group take a subgroup of Mac users that dive and then from that group those that use Oceanic computers and from that group the final group those that want to use computer logging software.

I'm sorry to inform you that you are in a subgroup so small that it makes no economic sense for Oceanic to invest in writting Mac compatable software.

Personally I chose my dive computer not for the software it uses to log but for the features it offers for diving. The logging software just makes a non essential chore easier.

I agree with the above poster. The reason that people see more problems and errors with Windows software is that there is 92% more windows software than Mac software. In a city of 2 million people, more people are going to have a cold than in a city of 100,000. It's a matter of numbers.
Mac computers and software also incur errors (such as when a network connection is not good), but, unlike Windows users, Mac users don't talk about the errors they receive.

Regarding dive computers... Not that many people upload/download their dive computers; probably less than 10%. Thus, if only 10% of the Windows users, and only 10% of the Mac users download their dive computers, then the actual number of Mac users would be extremely small; too small to justify the effort of writing software. Windows software is universal software, while Mac software is proprietory, and it is that way by design. Apple has chosen that route. Unfortunately it has both it's good and it's bad points. Universal software often has it imperfections, but anyone can use it. Proprietary software is often better designed because it is made for only one computer and one operating system. If you buy a Mac, you should not complain to anyone but Apple if there isn't software available for your computer. Apple designed it that way!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom