OceanLog v. 2.2.2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First let me point out that I am a new diver. I have an Aladdin Tec 2g and I recently purchased a DataMask. I am not new to information technology. I have been in the business for 25 years. When I find software that does not work properly, my first thought is to find what I have done wrong.

The new version of Oceanlog (2.2.2) is unstable. It is so unstable, I have not been able to understand exactly what is happening. After installing the update, some of my dvie info changed (dates, dive numbers, times). By clicking through different screens, I find that data continues to change. I only have 14 dives that I have manually input. So I haven't lost much. I can put the data back in with little problem. However, the situation does not give me much of a warm fuzzy feeling for Oceanic. I have not gone diving with the new DataMask yet. At this point, I'm pretty nervous about it. I am nervous that I have wasted my money on something that will never work quite right.

I went searching for a third party alternative to Ocean Log. I didn't find one that would directly interface with the DataMask or my Aladdin. Even if I buy a third party software package (some have impressive features like dive tables and common diving computations), I still have to rely on Ocean Log to download the dives from my computer and then hope that Ocean Log exports the data correctly.

Oceanic, you need to fix your software quickly. I'm not sure why you don't give the third party companies access to interface directly to your computers. Maybe you could contract with someone to develop the software. What you are doing does not appear to be working.

Doug sent me 2.2.3 to test it is much better but still not ready I have spoken with him and sent him a bug report. They are hard at work on the issues. The beta 2.2.3 still had the issue with the gear section not retaining the weight data. If they can get that working from what I experienced it will be a highly functional release.
You will still need to go through your dives and set up your cylinders for each dive but the SAC rate data seems to be retained from the old log.
Updates and changes I made to my dive, Location, gear and buddy data seemed to be retained when moving to other records or closing the program.
The changes made to Oceanlog versions later than 2.2.0 will require some editing of your past dive logs to bring them into line with the fields that were added to the software.
this includes the cylinder field, dive site, location, city, state and country. Althought this may be a PITA and time consuming to users with large logs the additions and changes will make for a more precise log. Aside from some of the third party packages that require much more work and customization, Oceanlog may end up being a very complete and functional product.

Hear, Hear!

At this point let add a suggestion. If Oceanic cannot or does not have skilled programmers capable of ironing out theses bugs in short order and releasing a software package that can meet the needs of it's users, then maybe it is time for Oceanic to take a different approach to solving the problem.
I can think of at least a couple of ways to do this:

1) Put together a software development kit and release the source code to the public. I'm willing to bet there are a few customers that are skilled programmers that can help the situation.

2) Contact the authors of Scubase and have them work with you to develope a new program using Oceanlog and their program to create a special OEM version that works.

Consider what you'll need to pay as an investment in retaining and capturing customers.

What would be ideal is a beta release to several members here to test. I would happily setup and rigorously test the software and report the bugs I find. One side note, maybe some of the problems are Microsoft related. After developing some software myself, many of the unusual bugs were directly related to Microsoft issues but reflected poorly on the application.

Things I’d like to see:

Have an easy way to share the data between my travel PC and my home PC.
I would also love to be able to batch change some fields or be able to download to a data base file, (all fields) make changes and re-load.
Have the dive site name on the dive and detail page.

Doug sent me 2.2.3 to test it is much better but still not ready I have spoken with him and sent him a bug report. They are hard at work on the issues. The beta 2.2.3 still had the issue with the gear section not retaining the weight data. If they can get that working from what I experienced it will be a highly functional release.
You will still need to go through your dives and set up your cylinders for each dive but the SAC rate data seems to be retained from the old log.
Updates and changes I made to my dive, Location, gear and buddy data seemed to be retained when moving to other records or closing the program.
The changes made to Oceanlog versions later than 2.2.0 will require some editing of your past dive logs to bring them into line with the fields that were added to the software.
this includes the cylinder field, dive site, location, city, state and country. Althought this may be a PITA and time consuming to users with large logs the additions and changes will make for a more precise log. Aside from some of the third party packages that require much more work and customization, Oceanlog may end up being a very complete and functional product.

Having some of us beta test is a positive step. Oceanic seems to be living up to their image of listening to customers.

And, it doesn't cost anything and the feed back you get is very, very real!!!

the K

What would be ideal is a beta release to several members here to test. I would happily setup and rigorously test the software and report the bugs I find. One side note, maybe some of the problems are Microsoft related. After developing some software myself, many of the unusual bugs were directly related to Microsoft issues but reflected poorly on the application.

Things I’d like to see:

Have an easy way to share the data between my travel PC and my home PC.
I would also love to be able to batch change some fields or be able to download to a data base file, (all fields) make changes and re-load.
Have the dive site name on the dive and detail page.
Doug did send a link to some of us for beta testing. I agree it is a good idea and as mentioned worked well in the past.
When you say "easy way to share data" do you mean above and beyond just copying the log file from one PC to the other? Do you mean a synchronization kinda thing?
I find that if I copy the log file I get everything except pictures.
An emphatic agreement on the concept of batch changes for fields. Just click on the dives to select them and then change the fields you want to change.. a la iTunes. Would save me a lot of typing and clicking.

I typically do post versions on scubaboard prior to making it available to the general public - we had committed to getting this version out Friday, which we did - without the typical evaluation. Chances are, it won't happen again.

Thanks to all for your continued support - I'm expecting to have a new beta release for you guys to try to break tomorrow. I'll post it here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom