Octo on right , or left side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was taught on the right. That's where I'd go looking for one if I needed it.
I'd probably try for surface as my 1st choice, but that's me.

I'd probably try for surface as my 1st choice, but that's me.
Really? 1st choice is to head for the surface? Unless very shallow, that should be the last resort. Breathing from an octo gives the option of a safer ascent.

Really? 1st choice is to head for the surface? Unless very shallow, that should be the last resort. Breathing from an octo gives the option of a safer ascent.
Yes it would be depth dependent. Also we usually dive in less than 10' vis which makes staying in contact a challenge. Most of my diving is shore diving so shallow is normal. I wouldn't hesitate to surface unaided from 30FSW or less.

In an emergency, I would find that confusing, since green is usually associated with oxygen.
Hmmm, good point. It's neon-green, but still green. I suppose yellow would be ideal, since that's the typical octo-color.

I use "0.5in Expandable Wire Cable Sleeving" so swapping is easy, and about $10 for 25ft of that stuff.

Hmmm, good point. It's neon-green, but still green. I suppose yellow would be ideal, since that's the typical octo-color.

I use "0.5in Expandable Wire Cable Sleeving" so swapping is easy, and about $10 for 25ft of that stuff.
Yellow past 70fsw won't do too much for anyone without a light.

More the buddy I am thinking about. For me, I sling a 30cu pony.
If you have a full-sized pony (19 or larger) with regulators, ditch the octo. The only thing that octo is doing, is adding another hose to route, manage, entangle, etc. You already have two full functional breathing devices, which more than covers all of the primary purposes of an octo (a) air-share (b) regulator problems (c) another regulator if you lose your main.

Look at sidemount; it's one regulator on each tank. No octo. Independent doubles is the same way.

1) As mentioned previously, simply tell the dive-buddy which regulator to grab in an emergency (primary or pony, your choice), and make sure the hose is long-enough for air-share. If you make the pony your air-share, you could even use a long-hose, and tuck extra hose under bungies.

2) I strongly recommend taking a few breaths from your pony, both before the dive (pre-dive check), and during the dive (as practice & double-check). Last thing you want is to discover your pony-tank is off during an emergency.

Yes it would be depth dependent. Also we usually dive in less than 10' vis which makes staying in contact a challenge. Most of my diving is shore diving so shallow is normal. I wouldn't hesitate to surface unaided from 30FSW or less.
Damn, depending on location, I'm lucky to have 10ft vis. In some areas I dive, it's measured in inches. I also dive solo mostly, because otherwise it's having to watch your buddy like a hawk and missing most of the dive.
Yellow past 70fsw won't do too much for anyone without a light.
Meh, I'll just leave it for now. It'll be the brighter-colored hose. I'm generally not doing any sort of technical/cave diving.

Integrated Air 2 octo on the left, primary in my mug, 19cf Pony reg with visible SPG on my right.

5wzCCzr.jpg

I was taught to place the octo within the "triangle". My Apeks only accepts "right-handed hose" so for many yrs the octo was kept on the right side. There was no other way.
It was then placed right under my chin after venturing into tec dive(primary donation).

Left or right? It does not really matter.
Colour of the hose?
Side Mount configuration? Not a clue.
Getting complicated? Yes
Idiosyncratic? We are human!
If you are diving with a complete stranger then both of you should study each other configuration and ask question if in doubt.

i have not read any of the other responses. but just fyi.....our shop has always taught with the octo on the left. but i rarely see this done elswhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom