Octo on right , or left side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at sidemount; it's one regulator on each tank. No octo. Independent doubles is the same way.
The difference in sidemount and a 19-30ft pony is in SM the other tank is the same size. I am not giving up a 100cft tank for a 19cft tank because a second stage has done an Amber Heard. You can be on 100cft backgas and a second stage goes tits up and I simply switch to my "octo" there is no need to go to my "emergency get the hell out of dodge tank".

I was taught to place the octo within the "triangle". My Apeks only accepts "right-handed hose" so for many yrs the octo was kept on the right side. There was no other way.
It was then placed right under my chin after venturing into tec dive(primary donation).

Left or right? It does not really matter.
Colour of the hose?
Side Mount configuration? Not a clue.
Getting complicated? Yes
Idiosyncratic? We are human!
If you are diving with a complete stranger then both of you should study each other configuration and ask question if in doubt.
Per the DAN article I referenced earlier, you want your second on its hose in the same direction as before, so “right handed hose”, but routed from the left side of your first stage. This allows you to donate without your hose being between you and your buddy, as the mouthpiece on the octo will now be facing towards them. This part does make sense to me as it seems it would be more comfortable, for lack of a better description.

Per the DAN article I referenced earlier, you want your second on its hose in the same direction as before, so “right handed hose”, but routed from the left side of your first stage. This allows you to donate without your hose being between you and your buddy, as the mouthpiece on the octo will now be facing towards them. This part does make sense to me as it seems it would be more comfortable, for lack of a better description.
Have you tried that yourself?
The LP hose for the "octo" came from the left side of the first stage and attached to the right-handed "octo"!!! How would you route the hose and how long would that be? Three hoses came from the left side while only one on the right side of the 1st stage.
How about if you are diving dry and there are only 2LP ports on the left side of the 1st stage?

The difference in sidemount and a 19-30ft pony is in SM the other tank is the same size. I am not giving up a 100cft tank for a 19cft tank because a second stage has done an Amber Heard. You can be on 100cft backgas and a second stage goes tits up and I simply switch to my "octo" there is no need to go to my "emergency get the hell out of dodge tank".
Correct, I should have stated, "assuming you have plenty of gas in the redundant-air to safely handle an emergency and surface."

I have my octo on my right and my console across my chest and clipped also on my right. The latter is apparently not the norm. As long as a buddy knows where the octo is. If solo obviously you know where it is.

Have you tried that yourself?
The LP hose for the "octo" came from the left side of the first stage and attached to the right-handed "octo"!!! How would you route the hose and how long would that be? Three hoses came from the left side while only one on the right side of the 1st stage.
How about if you are diving dry and there are only 2LP ports on the left side of the 1st stage?
No, I haven’t, but the routing and hose length would probably be the same as if it were on the right. You’re just moving it from the right post to the left. And, yes, you now have three hoses coming out of the left side. Unless you are using an AI computer or a console.
As I don’t dive dry, I didn’t consider what to do in that case. It would seem that the article is aimed more toward the typical warmer to warm water rec diver, not dry/twin set/rebreather/sidemount.

No, I haven’t, but the routing and hose length would probably be the same as if it were on the right. You’re just moving it from the right post to the left. And, yes, you now have three hoses coming out of the left side. Unless you are using an AI computer or a console.
As I don’t dive dry, I didn’t consider what to do in that case. It would seem that the article is aimed more toward the typical warmer to warm water rec diver, not dry/twin set/rebreather/sidemount.
You ought to try it first before suggesting it to anyone on line.
The console still requires a HP hose. Therefore still THREE hoses coming out of the left side ie. one HP and two LP(power inflator and 2nd stage). Only AI will remove the use of a HP hose.
The routing and the length of the hose would not be the same because you are dealing with a right-handed 2nd stage with the LP hose coming from the left side!!!!!!!
I am diving with a long hose(primary donation) and the right-handed 2nd stage is just under my chin attached with a bungee round my neck.

BTW, are you talking left-handed 2nd stage?

You ought to try it first before suggesting it to anyone on line.
The console still requires a HP hose. Therefore still THREE hoses coming out of the left side ie. one HP and two LP(power inflator and 2nd stage). Only AI will remove the use of a HP hose.
The routing and the length of the hose would not be the same because you are dealing with a right-handed 2nd stage with the LP hose coming from the left side!!!!!!!
I am diving with a long hose(primary donation) and the right-handed 2nd stage is just under my chin attached with a bungee round my neck.

BTW, are you talking left-handed 2nd stage?
First off, your right about a console not changing the three hose situation. It’s been so long since I’ve used one that I forgot what was involved.
Secondly, and most importantly, I didn’t suggest anything. All i did was refer to this article My Octopus Goes Where? - Divers Alert Network.
Thirdly, while I mentioned a left-handed 2nd stage in an earlier post, that is not what the article is recommending.
I have referenced the above article many times because it goes to the heart of this thread, octo on right vs left. I am not personally advocating one or the other because I have only used right, so I can’t attest to the validity of the benefits that the article claims. Which is why I have stated that it “seems” that it would be of benefit in the, further clarified, warmer/warm water rec setting.

Erik

Also, @Centrals , I’m not sure why the routing and hose length would not be the same as you would just be running the same hose out of the left side of the 1st as opposed to the right. Per the article, this would put the mouthpiece pointing toward the ooa buddy without the hose snaking between the 2 of you.
Again, I have not tested this so I can not validate any of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom