Octo to go with my AL Titan LX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MBren

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be getting my first reg soon and have decided on a Titan LX. I am looking for suggestions on a decent octo but don't have an endless budget. Does anyone have suggestions for me? I would like to support my LDS. They sell Aqua Lung, Mares and Sherwood.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

If you're buying an Aqualung reg, then go ahead and get the same brand octo.

that way when you service it, you only have to deal with one shop (if you ever move, the other shop might not service Aqualung and Mares or Sherwood for example.)

The Titan LX is the "mid level" regulator. It's a good regulator, but no sense buying the Legend Octo for example for a Titan LX 2nd stage...

Might I reccomend the AL ABS Octo or the Titan/Calypso Octo. One of those two are a good match for the Titan LX.

The Calypso/Titan Octo is a more traditional 2nd stage. Just Yellow. It's also adjustable.

The ABS is a "hockey puck" 2nd stage. Some people like these, some don't. It's not adjustable, but it's much lower profile, which some people like. It also can be breathed "either side up". This doesn't seem like a big deal, but when you've got to hand it off to someone else, it remove the awkward hose positioning that you get with traditional regulators.

I've got the ABS and it works fine and I'm happy with it. but some people prefer a traditional 2nd stage also.

but either way you should be fine depending on your preference.

You can also go with the AL AirSource 2. Some don't like having the integrated, but myself I am using the Titan LX supreme, Pro QD with i3, and the Airsource 2. The set up is pretty nice, but I would recommend getting a longer hose for your regulator if you go that route.

I have a bunch of Titans...they are bullet proof and breath well when deep. Go with the ABS...they breath pretty good and they are very small.
Good Luck

the Titan LX Supreme w/ the ABS hockeypuck style octo, very happy with it.

Another vote for the ABS. I like the "able to breath in any position" part of it. Both the wife and I have them on our LX's.

ABS will work work with Titan 1st stage.
If you are willing to pay more, the Apeks Egress is good too.
Apeks and Aqualung belongs to the same group so I suppose service will be no issue.

ABS will work work with Titan 1st stage.
If you are willing to pay more, the Apeks Egress is good too.
Apeks and Aqualung belongs to the same group so I suppose service will be no issue.

While this is a good 2nd stage, not all Aqualung Dealers are Apeks dealers, even though they are the same company.

So the either a.) might not carry the Egrees, or b.) might not stock rebuild kits for annual service.

Not a big deal, but just something the consumer wants to ask first before buying to see if this is a kit they stock if they have the Egress special ordered (from a non stocking dealer).

Example: One of our local shops that was an Aqualung dealer also sold Apeks. the other local shop that sold Aqualung did not stock Apeks, but could get it for you. but it was a special order that I hear always took for ever.

That and some shops don't have the best "track record" for ordering parts when they promise too... (they are either on credit hold, don't have enough to meet minimum order numbers, or some other bogus excuse often.)

just something to consider when making the choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom