Octo vs. Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Contrary to what some indicate is the only way to do things, being a mere mortal, I dive a pony mounted on my tank (actually, a QuickDraw, where the bracket stays mounted on the tank band). I haven't grown hair on my knuckles, my teeth haven't fallen out, and I haven't had umpteen simultaneous failures. Multiple people who dive in my area, including quite experienced people, do the same.
A 19CF takes a 2 lb counterweight to balance properly. I have a 2lb in a pouch on the left side of my tank band. The pony is mounted inverted, valve down -- quite simple to turn on and off, doesn't require gymnast talents.
Sorry I'm slightly sarcastic on this -- if folks like the front mount, great, but there are multiple ways to do things. The QuickDraw is solid, convenient, out of the way. I don't dive with 7' hoses, canister lamps, deco bottles, whatever -- I'm a recreational diver, happy to be one.

countryboy:
Dives 2 - 5, used the pony mounted as a stage. Regulator second stage in rubber band on pony tank (u-shape), SPG banded to valve (six inch hose). The difference in balance was AMAZING...everything VERY accessible, and unclutered.

Did you use an octo on your main rig?

jonnythan:
This is a contentious issue. I think you're better off with a pony if you're dilligent about practicing with it and keeping an eye on it underwater. But I also think you're MUCH better off by simply diving with a buddy you trust, with whom you have excellent contact, and with whom you regularly practice emergency drills.

Since the latter is in my opinion the *best* way, it's the only way I will dive. I think a pony is a poor excuse for having a good buddy, so I won't dive with a pony.

Why not get the best of both worlds--buddy and octo in the "classic" manner, plus pony for its safety bonus. Aren't you giving up some safety margin? You can't be POSITIVE that your buddy will be there for you when you need her, after all....

markfm:
Contrary to what some indicate is the only way to do things, being a mere mortal, I dive a pony mounted on my tank (actually, a QuickDraw, where the bracket stays mounted on the tank band). I haven't grown hair on my knuckles, my teeth haven't fallen out, and I haven't had umpteen simultaneous failures. Multiple people who dive in my area, including quite experienced people, do the same.
A 19CF takes a 2 lb counterweight to balance properly. I have a 2lb in a pouch on the left side of my tank band. The pony is mounted inverted, valve down -- quite simple to turn on and off, doesn't require gymnast talents.
Sorry I'm slightly sarcastic on this -- if folks like the front mount, great, but there are multiple ways to do things. The QuickDraw is solid, convenient, out of the way. I don't dive with 7' hoses, canister lamps, deco bottles, whatever -- I'm a recreational diver, happy to be one.

Pony with or without an octo...?

BigTuna -- there are folks who are DIR divers, have very set ways of Doing It Right. Nothing bad to it, just a bit inflexible.
Personally, I like to dive with my regular buddy, but also know that on trips I don't know who I will be with. I dive a pony 100% of the time -- it's regular kit for me. Buddy gets my primary, I use my octo, pony is my bailout.
(I actually dive with a Sherwood Shadow+ octo -- one of the jobs that goes in-line with the BCD inflator. It's totally impractical to donate the shadow+ to a buddy -- they'd have to attach like a leach :) )

Because there are no failure modes where I would be going to my pony, it's a lot of extra clutter and trouble for no benefit, and it's a whole new set of things that can go wrong or complicate a dive.

I'm a firm believer in the "if you don't need it, don't take it" minimalist approach to diving.

If I'm catastrophically totally out of air, my buddy gives me air, end of story. I trust my teammates more than a hunk of a metal. I don't need the pony, period. So I don't take one underwater.

It's not the best of both worlds, it's the worst of both worlds.
BigTuna:
ou can't be POSITIVE that your buddy will be there for you when you need her, after all....
If I can't be positive of that, I have no business underwater with that buddy.

I'll be the first to admit that my beliefs go firmly against the mainstream diving culture, but it's what I believe and it works fantastically well for me.

Nah, I just think DIR folks should have an indicator (like a tattoo :) ), lets folks know where they're coming from. Then again, the red eyes should be a clue that you're not run-of-the-mill :)

If I read the question correct, you are asking if you need a third second stage (primary and octo on main tank and a third on the pony). My opinion is that it depends. If you back mount the pony, then you don't need the octo. If you sling the pony, then you should have the octo. I base this opinion on the probability of losing the pony. The back mount pony is as secure as your main tank and is an independent doubles configuration. This leads to the doubles setup of two first stages each with their own second but no octo. While the likelihood of loosing a slung bottle is slim, it is not as improbable as the backmount. In this setup, an octo on the main tank seems reasonable.

While the debate of pony vs. dependable buddy can go on forever, as Jonnythan knows, in NJ either a pony or doubles is required by most boats.

Mark, please. My thoughts are my own and are not given to me by anyone.

I have read and been exposed to all sorts of diving, all sorts of theories, and all sorts of opinions. I have taken these in and done my best to form my own. It just so happens that these mostly coincide with those taught by GUE.

Being DIR isn't a cause of opinions, it's a result. I personally resent your implication that we be so "branded" and am really getting tired of this sort of view.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom