Octopus Holder Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently got one of those yellow ball octopus holder gizmos. I've noticed that when I'm doing my surface swims, the octopus seems to free flow a little. I think it's because the ball orients the regulator upside down, which naturally causes a free flow.

Previously I was just tying it off using one of those elastic string with with sliding clasp thingys, and never had this problem. I think because it oriented the regulator sideways, not upside down.

Anyone know what's going on?

Sounds like you have the right idea about why it's free flowing but just incase I'll ask if you've had the reg recently serviced? I've noticed that sometimes the tech's that service regs adjust the alternate regulators to the same setting as the primary which can make the alternate free flow very easy. I've had several deco regs that were adjusted like this and I had to return them to the shop to have them re-adjusted to stop the free flow. If I were you I think I would take the reg to a good shop and have it checked just to make sure that everything is adjusted properly and if so I'd switch back to the original holder and see if that sovles the problem.

Well, Mac, the bungied second group should jump in right about now.

LOL I was going to suggest that but thought I would abstain as to avoid getting into a debate as to the pros and cons of each.

LOL...well it looks like everyone is slipping, no bungee as of yet.

If you are referring to a "scum ball" octo holder that might be part of the problem to. I have heard several people say that they have a problem with their octo. They then find out that it is the holder that is causing the free flow. Tuning the reg down a bit will cure it or just bungee the crazy thing.

Can you clip the ball in such a way that would prevent the reg diaphragm from being "forward"?

How in the world can you consider diving with your octo in one of those stinking holders? :eyebrow:

I use a contraption that has a small bungee and two flaps. One flap on either side of the mouthpiece where the bungee string holds the flaps together and the octo in place. It seems to work well for me. I've got to sinch it up kinda tight, however. It'll yank free with a good tug.

crpntr133:
LOL...well it looks like everyone is slipping, no bungee as of yet.

If you are referring to a "scum ball" octo holder that might be part of the problem to. I have heard several people say that they have a problem with their octo. They then find out that it is the holder that is causing the free flow. Tuning the reg down a bit will cure it or just bungee the crazy thing.

The "ball" style octo holder has its good and bad points. It will keep the mouthpiece clean, and will keep the octo in place most of the times. However, it does tend to let go of the octo during dives in current, and is easily dislodged by the slightest bump.

It will also aid in free flow events by keeping water from entering the regulator. By keeping water out of the air chamber of the octo, the pressure differential between the outside and inside of the regulator is often great enough to start your regulator delivering air. This is why we commonly see a steady stream of bubbles from many divers octos. Simply put, air is compressible and water is not, so if air is present in the regulator cavity instead of water during a dive, the pressure changes during descent will cause the second stage to open up a little. To prevent this, you should remove the octo from its holder at the surface when you are getting in the water holding it mouthpiece down, flood the cavity, then replace the octo in its holder. This will also help prevent free flows during surface swims.

I guess I'll be the first :D
http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/backup_reg_attach_r.jpeg
It really is a simple solution. It keeps the octo out of the sand, you know right away if it's free-flowing and you always know where it is when you need it. I think the two main problems are people's reluctance to change and the "you're a moron" attitude of a few DIR zealots. Give it a try and I think you'll agree that it is a much better solution than a scumball. One suggestion though. I prefer to use 1/8" bungee instead of surgical tubing. The rubber tubing tends to dry out in only a few months.

Is there a reason they call that thing a "scumball"???

Back
Top Bottom