Octopus Rodeos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems to be a common thing off Oahu, and wasn't seen as bad by the locals. I've never seen this anywhere else.
30254012354_2e37d83cc7_b.jpg

A lot of people we dove with called pokers "tako sticks" (tako is, i believe, Japanese for octopus).

During our first dive trip to the Big Island, I remember a dive guide commenting that octopus ink actually creates a scent trail predators can follow. He said it's common for eels to quickly appear in areas where inking occurs. His comments were intended to encourage divers to leave octopus alone.

ADD_5676.jpg

-AZTinman

Seems to be a common thing off Oahu, and wasn't seen as bad by the locals. I've never seen this anywhere else.
30254012354_2e37d83cc7_b.jpg

Locals probably see nothing wrong with it, because the locals constantly go out and interact with the wildlife in the form of fishing or hunting. It's not uncommon to see people going out, sometimes in dive gear, to go collect food. People passing by might see the octopus handling and think it's totally cool and mimic the behavior. On my second dive in the Open Water Course, another instructor from another company brought back a dead octopus on the boat, and he was quite proud to admit it would be his dinner. I have no clue why he thought it would be a good idea to do it with so many customers on board the boat... no thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom