Octopus vs Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, it sounds like the one From the Seattle Aquarium up here...
(I didn't want to download Real Player again and go through all that entails)

There seems to be a "mistaken" belief, up here too, that Octos are nature's little teddy bears... you can just cuddle them and play with them without worry... as you can see (I'm assuming this is the same video I saw at the Seattle Aquarium) they can be a little agressive at times.

After I saw that video and my expereince with just a small one (pic below), I started to ask around if anyone had any "Less than Friendly" experiences and got quite a few comments. So my current contact rules are to keep a steady distance, let "Others" play with them and I'll take the pictures, (joking here) but respect them. They are, as we all know, inquisitive and will slowly crawl up your arm, face, mask and reg etc... so just hang on to the reg and mask and play if you want.. I'm told if you rub your finger on the back/top side of their arms, they'll release... never tried it though...

Obviously the big GPO (Giant Pacific Octos) can be a little more intimidating than the stubby squid.. but after seeing that video and knowing that you can't pull them off 8 arms at a time, I'll keep my distance until I get a good feeling towards it...

Like everything in life, there's the :

Good
the Bad
and the Ugly...
heheh...

Pic:
Thought this was a tree stump at first 30' away, then a wolf eel, so starting setting up the Nikonas V with framer and looked up to see this coming at me.. LOL.. thank gawd it was just a small one eh??

Here'a bigger one... just imagine what a hassel it would be if the big one acted like the little one...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom