OctoZ malfunction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoctorBob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought a Zeagle stiletto with an octoZ about a year ago. I have taken it on several dive trips, probably 20 or 30 dives since I got it and it always worked fine. I am using it with an oceanic FDX10 / Delta4, also brand new. I am currently on a dive trip in the Bahamas, and it worked fine the first two days. Today it started free flowing on the second dive. First dive was fine. Second dive right as I got in, the octoZ started free flowing a bit. Not a lot, but just enough to be annoying. I couldn't use it. When I got back,m I tried it in the pool, and it was fine. So I figured I'd try it again. Put it on the tank, no problem. No leak. Got geared up, ready to go in, and it started leaking a bit again. Now I just can't trust it. I'm gonna have to get it serviced when I get home, even though it is brand new. Any suggestions on anything I can do now? The dive operation that I am at now doesn't service Zeagle or oceanic so they won't touch it.

If it was fine when you turned the air on but started free flowing later the problem may well be with your regulator delivering high pressure.
When you purge the Octo Z does the free flow stop but then start again moments later?
If so your problem is your first stage.

I think that is definitely a possibility. It does seem to do that. The problem stops when I disconnect the octoZ, but maybe the delta 4 second stage can handle a higher intermediate pressure.. The octoZ also stops free flowing when I take a breath from the delta 4 second stage and starts again when I exhale. This also makes me think it is a problem with the first stage.

Hmm, you say you got your gear about a year ago? Has it been in for service since you got it? I find that regs tend to break in a bit and often need their first service a little earlier than a year. Part of that is a first stage intermediate pressure check which sounds like your problem.

Looks like it is not a problem with the octoZ after all. It is a problem with the first stage intermediate pressure being too high, just as was suggested here. I was able to hook the reg up to an intermediate pressure gauge and it read about 160. So it is probably a high pressure seat in the first stage. I guess it is going in for a service when I get home. Thanks for the replies.

If the 1st stage is a diaphram design, turn the adjusting key slot counter clockwise 1/4 turn and re-check your supply pressure. You are looking for 140psi.
If the pressure creeps up you do have a problem and should not dive the regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom