Offended??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla:
but to be honest, I've not seen a difference of apex presence due to doing it.

I'm pretty sure every surfer/swimmer/spearfisher who's ever been bit said the same thing. lol.
It's not the one the ones seen that are the problem I guess.

"Also, a well placed shot does not bleed, that only happens if you gill em."

well, now you're gettin' technical again. lol. I don't know what fish do, I've never gotten in a fight with one.
But the "experts" seem to think a dying fish gives off all sorts of scents and signals that sharks can pick up MILES away.

Until I'm prepared to do my own research I'll have to take their word for it and assume you've been lucky so far I guess.
Hope it stays that way.

'Course, my uncle's been driving home drunk from bars for 30 years. Don't make it smart. ;P

Depends on the hunter. And the boat.

If I know the hunter, cool.
If the boat knows the hunter, and I know the boat, cool.

Would I be offended otherwise? No.

Would I be on a boat full of hunters, if I don't know the boat or the hunters? No.

cra2:
<snip>...assume you've been lucky so far I guess.

I guess thousands of spearfishermen are lucky every day, then.

Fish aren't the only thing that attracts sharks. Most swimming activity (splashing, horseplay, animals (dogs) in the water) also attract sharks. Far more swimmers are bitten by sharks than divers (and I'm NOT implying that divers bite swimmers :) ) - spearfishing AND nonspearfishing combined.

ReefGuy:
I guess thousands of spearfishermen are lucky every day, then.

And a few aren't.
I don't wanna be the few.

"Fish aren't the only thing that attracts sharks. Most swimming activity (splashing, horseplay, animals (dogs) in the water) also attract sharks."

that's why I don't bring my dog scuba-diving with me either.
see - the point is/was that some of us don't like to do ANYTHING to raise the risk factor - whether YOU consider the risk worth it, or not.

"Offended?" Nah, just mildly concerned that I might be mistaken for lunch... As previously noted by others, I'd rather be in the water with a spearo than a gaggle of photographers, although my first choice would be to leave them all on the dock.

I'm not a hunter land or sea (with the exception of a couple of bird hunts) but find it interesting.
One thing I found out through diving with hunters is that they don't shoot "Willy Nilly" meaning all the shots I've seen were well placed at very very close range.
Untill then I always thought it was like regular hunting where shots had some distance to them.
As far as being offended...I would be offended if a newbie had a gun pointed at me,the game was wasted,being harvested from reserve or if a well known local tame fish that was known to interact with divers was shot.

Does anyone make a kevlar BC or BP&W???

The one time I was in FL diving we had a couple of spear hunters on the boat. First, the boat wasn't full, more space for all. Second, I was the rookie of the group, only about 40 dives at the time, so no issue of 20 rookie divers in the water. Third, the hunters were very aware of where we were. Always shooting away from us. I saw their backs, not their faces. Made me feel better.

BTW, yes, I know kevlar has problems when it's wet.

Guess you missed the point. I was saying that you're in greater risk when swimming than diving or spearfishing.

cra2:
And a few aren't.
I don't wanna be the few.

"Fish aren't the only thing that attracts sharks. Most swimming activity (splashing, horseplay, animals (dogs) in the water) also attract sharks."

that's why I don't bring my dog scuba-diving with me either.
see - the point is/was that some of us don't like to do ANYTHING to raise the risk factor - whether YOU consider the risk worth it, or not.

I prefer diving off boats which do not allow spear fishing. It has nothing to do with being offended by the presence of spearguns (although the attitude of some hunters I find offensive).

I am a videographer and because of this I have less peripheral vision than most divers because I'm looking through my camcorder viewfinder much of the time. I prefer knowing that no other diver in my area has a weapon that might mistakenly penetrate me (it has happened to me before). I prefer knowing that no hunter will suddenly appear in my viewfinder and hit my subject matter (of course a good hunter would never do this). I also prefer that there are no dangling fish corpses to attract a great white or other large shark... unless I get a good chance to film them!

At some point in their lives I think every human should have to hunt their own food... to take a life to feed yourself, rather than have Vons or your local grocery store package everything in plastic wrap to sanitize it. Therefore I don't mind hunting when done with the proper attitude (no machismo, no violation of the laws, killing only what you will eat). If you're a vegetarian, you should grow your own food and kill those beans, tomatoes, etc.

Doc

I would have no way of knowing whether the person with a speargun knows what they are doing or whether they are clueless and dangerous. I don't find it offensive but it bothers me when someone has a deadly weapon near me and I have no way of determining their competence.

I don't think they belong on cattle boats, specialized trips seem the way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom