Officer died in Chesapeake Dive Team training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't jump to conclusions about the IPE diagnosis in this particular incident.

Rather than increasing awareness of IPE in the general diving public, I think we'd be better served emphasizing the importance of CPR certification, rescue training, skills practice, and paying attention to our own health (regular medical checkups, etc.). First aid treatment by someone without medical training should be simple and straightforward. When, in an emergent situation, you have non-medical people trying to arrive at a diagnosis and treatment plan for an injured diver...that's when a bad situation can be made worse.

All excellent awareness and skills to work on, Bubbletrubble.

It was already said earlier that we don't have much to go on, but it was just a first reaction by several people when reading that the victim couldn't breathe that it could possibly be IPE. We are of course waiting for more info as always.

During an emergency, I don't think most of us non-medical people would be trying to diagnose the situation. We would try to help the person the best we could by aborting the dive as safely as possible, administering continuous oxygen until EMS takes over, and performing CPR if necessary - exactly as many of us are trained. The emergency response to IPE is the same as to other diving incidents/illnesses - on our part.

Reactions: Jax
Schock’s partner immediately tried to give him his own respirator, “but under the stress and duress of the situation, Officer Schock pushed away the apparatus and went back under water,” Wright wrote.
If I ever get myself into any trouble again, I hope I remember to pull a weight pocket - just carry it in my hand in case I pass out.

We have so little information to go on, I really do not see how we can leap to IPE so quickly. Yes, it is a possibility, but IPE is a rare occurrence (that sure is getting a lot of press). There are so many questions I have before I could even remotely think of any answers. Is this a volunteer team or a full time team? Age and medical history of the diver? Details of the dive?

I have been on scene for 2 IPE events, spaced about 10 years apart, they both turned out well, but took time to develop. A cardiac event or even a wetsuit that is too tight are also logical possibilities.

We have so little information to go on, I really do not see how we can leap to IPE so quickly. Yes, it is a possibility, but IPE is a rare occurrence (that sure is getting a lot of press). There are so many questions I have before I could even remotely think of any answers. Is this a volunteer team or a full time team? Age and medical history of the diver? Details of the dive?

I have been on scene for 2 IPE events, spaced about 10 years apart, they both turned out well, but took time to develop. A cardiac event or even a wetsuit that is too tight are also logical possibilities.

I don't think anyone is leaping to anything . . . We are all just speculating.

Will you share your two IPE experiences with us?

It's was his unable to breath and refusing air before sinking that got me to wondering. I'm far from qualified to say tho.

Like I said, diagnosis de jure, what'll it be next week?

"du Jour"

There are enough people jumping to this conclusion that this one may survive more than a week. 2 or 3 maybe....

Edit

While people are jumping to IPE very quickly, this is no different than any other A&I thread. People jump to conclusions all the time. As always, they might be right or wrong. No matter what, more information is needed to reach and real conclusions.

"du Jour"

There are enough people jumping to this conclusion that this one may survive more than a week. 2 or 3 maybe....

Peace, peace, ScubaSteve, peace!
Thou talk'st of nothing.

True, this is all speculation. Probably hugely wide of the mark. But give me some different speculation and let's look at that instead as a probably cause. And is IPE now quite so unlikely?

John

Peace, peace, ScubaSteve, peace!
Thou talk'st of nothing.

True, this is all speculation. Probably hugely wide of the mark. But give me some different speculation and let's look at that instead as a probably cause. And is IPE now quite so unlikely?

John

I was adding to my post while you were replying.

De jour, you're right ... between posts I was working on a legal opinion, rather than dinner.

I, like it seems many others, saw IPE as a real possibility given the limited info in the news report. Awareness is never a bad thing, and that awareness may certainly save someones life sometime.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but many oxygen kits use demand regulators which would not be effective in treating IPE and would be useless as a first aid treatment. Obviously standard CPR with artificial respiration would provide the neccessary positive pressure ventilation necessary.

Frankly the part of the story that shocked me most (and is most disappointing in too many accidents) is that the victim was on the surface, but positive bouyancy was not established and therefore the victim sunk back down. I was not there, and know nothing of the accident, but a victim at the surface has a ready supply of breathing gas. Too armchair quarterback, positive bouyancy was the most major issue, not a different regulator. IPE or any other cause aside, dropping weight or inflating BC could have given the time to deal with whatever the medical issue was.

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom