Officer died in Chesapeake Dive Team training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taken from the OSHA website:

"The commercial diving operations standard does not apply to diving operations under the following conditions:

29 CFR 1910.401(a)(2)(ii). Diving solely for search, rescue, or related public-safety purposes by or under the control of a government agency. "

In other words.........OSHA diving regulations do NOT apply to people who are teaching recreational sport diving, performing search and rescue operations for a governmental agency, or are performing scientific research under an organized scientific diving program.

I suspect Zeagle is suggesting that the officer could have used his drysuit for buoyancy prior to going out of air. If his bladder was not holding air and he kept trying to fill it and it was escaping, he could certainly run out of air quickly, like the 17 minutes that it took. It doesn't explain why the rapid gas consumption was not noticed and the dive was not aborted much earlier. Or why the dive began at all.
Here's something that I don't quite get with regard to the gas supply issue...
The two divers surfaced to orient themselves, i.e., locate the navigation target/buoy. In that situation, upon surfacing, isn't it common sense to check one's SPG, communicate remaining gas to a buddy, and then make the determination whether there is enough gas for both parties to re-descend?
I find it very strange that the diver suddenly went OOA during the re-descent. Something like that should have been caught on the surface, right?
I also found it rather unusual that the buddy reached the bottom first. This implies that the two divers were not descending together.

On a side note, when I first saw/heard the police chief's run-down of what had happened, I got the impression that the victim may not have been truly OOA at the surface. The thought occurred to me that perhaps the victim was hyperventilating (due to the panic response) or he was suffering from a medical condition with respiratory symptoms...and it just felt like he was OOA. In any event, a quick check of the victim's gear would have revealed tank pressure.
It doesn't explain why he refused the alternate he was given.
Possible explanations include panic, utter exhaustion, or a combination of the two. Bear in mind that he was probably getting tired from kicking upward to counteract a strongly negative buoyant force...at least until his buddy inflated his own BCD to bring the two of them to the surface. And even after he was on the surface, he probably continued to kick like mad. FWIW, with regard to the buddy's method of underwater intervention, I'm really not fond of this maneuver. If the buddy loses hold of the victim during the ascent (which can easily happen given a severely overweighted diver or a diver in "active" panic), the positively buoyant buddy will rocket to the surface, whereas the negatively buoyant victim becomes a dirt dart. Buddy separation becomes even more serious if the diver in trouble is OOA or LOA.

This brings me to another issue -- something that I keep coming back to time and time again:
It's incredible that, during the ordeal, neither the buddy nor the victim considered manually removing weight from the weight pockets and/or ditching the victim's BCD (which contained 40 lbs. of apparently non-ditchable weight).
Isn't the removal of the BCD at the surface taught in basic OW class (as part of the Remove & Replace drill)?
It doesn't sound like things were happening super-quickly once the two had surfaced. The buddy had enough time to call for help, attempt to orally inflate the victim's BCD, and organize the pair to kick toward the nearest shoreline. Given the victim's status of no backgas and the equivalent of an anchor pulling him down, I would think that the first priority would have been to establish positive buoyancy. Logical thought progression should have occurred in the following manner: BCD doesn't inflate --> weights can't be released --> manually remove the weight and/or ditch the BCD which contains the ballast. After separating himself from the anchor/BCD, the victim would have been comfortably positively buoyant at the surface due to the inherent buoyancy of his exposure protection (drysuit or wetsuit).

When I heard that the buddy had to ask the victim whether they were heading in the right direction, it made me wonder exactly how the two divers were positioned during the surface swim. The police chief described the faces of both divers being out of the water with the victim hanging onto his buddy's neck and tank. It almost sounds like the victim was behind the buddy, with both divers kicking on their backs. That's not the best way to tow someone in a rescue scenario because the rescuer can't visually monitor the troubled diver. This is something that is definitely discussed during a rescue class.
It doesn't explain why the gear was in such disrepair and not maintained regularly and why the officers were so complacent to it as to dive with failing gear.
For the most part, the police chief's comments regarding the recommended changes seemed to fixate on gear issues (notwithstanding the implementation of formal pre-dive buddy checks).
I wish he had spent at least some time discussing how members of the dive team would be getting better training...particularly in rescue skills. Even with all of the gear issues, this tragedy would have easily been averted if the buddy team had just reacted appropriately.

Last edited:
Taken from the OSHA website:

"The commercial diving operations standard does not apply to diving operations under the following conditions:

29 CFR 1910.401(a)(2)(ii). Diving solely for search, rescue, or related public-safety purposes by or under the control of a government agency. "

In other words.........OSHA diving regulations do NOT apply to people who are teaching recreational sport diving, performing search and rescue operations for a governmental agency, or are performing scientific research under an organized scientific diving program.

There are many who would argue that. Evidently, buried in all the text, there is something that indicates that the exclusion only applies to a rescue operation and does not cover training and recovery. Actually, OSHA jurisdiction is one of the most debated topics in Public Safety diving.

Those were rhetorical questions, guys. There are still unanswered questions, or at least satisfactorily answered.

Ayisha:
I suspect Zeagle is suggesting that the officer could have used his drysuit for buoyancy prior to going out of air. If his bladder was not holding air and he kept trying to fill it and it was escaping, he could certainly run out of air quickly, like the 17 minutes that it took. It doesn't explain why the rapid gas consumption was not noticed and the dive was not aborted much earlier. Or why the dive began at all.

If he was OOA he could not have filled the suit. Was he OOA?

The quote that you responded to says Zeagle was probably referring to using his drysuit for buoyancy BEFORE he ran out of air.

Yes, they said that he was out of air. Don't know how accurate that is or when that exactly occurred.

No, Fire Departments would not be covered either. The original OSHA diving standard provided three specific exclusions which remain in effect as follows:

1. “Instructional diving utilizing only open-circuit compressed air scuba within the nodecompression limits.”
  2. “Search, rescue, and related public safety diving by or under the control of a governmental agency.”
  3. “Diving governed by the Protection of Human Subjects regulations of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare (HEW) or equally effective rules or regulations of anotherFederal Agency.”

OSHA received a number of comments from persons engaged in diving incidental to police and public safety functions, and the Agency concluded that an exclusion was appropriate for such applications. The "by or under the control of a governmental agency" language is intended to make the exclusion applicable to all divers whose purpose is to provide search, rescue, or public safety diving services under the direction and control of a governmental agency (e.g., local, state, federal government) regardless of whether or not such divers are, strictly speaking, government employees. Diving contractors who occasionally perform such services privately on an emergency basis, and who are not under the control of a governmental agency engaging their services, do not come under this exclusion.

Such divers may, however, be covered by the provision concerning application of the standard in an emergency [29 CFR §1910.401(b)]. In excluding these search and rescue operations, OSHA determined that safety and health regulation of the police and related functions are best carried out by the individual States or their political subdivisions. It is pointed out that this exclusion does not apply when work other than search, rescue and related public safety diving is performed (e.g., police divers repairing a pier).

Training is covered by the exemption just as operations are. So, while a State OSHA might or might not have jurisdiction, Fed OSHA is out of the picture.

See:

EXCLUSIONS AND EXEMPTIONS FROM OSHA'S COMMERCIAL DIVING STANDARD
by Stephen Sea Butler
U.S. Department of Labor
OSHA Division of Maritime Compliance Assistance
200 Constitution Avenue, N.W.; Room N3610
Washington, DC 20723 USA
http://www.si.edu/dive/pdfs/Butler.pdf

Our team uses the Ranger Ltd., so I am familiar with them. Several things jump out at me, it states they did a test dump,then restrung and after the incident all failed to work as they should,sounds like BCD's were restrung improperly? Did one diver restring all the BCD's or did each member restring improperly?
Faulty inflator, was he trying to orally inflate at depth then begin the circle of panic due to that and being overweighted which then started to lead to fatigue and hyperventilation?
He stated he was unable to breathe,how far from shore were they and what shape was he in? If he was overweighted and couldn't get bouyant how far did he swim before he stated that? I am just speculating but, if he was surface swimming in full gear and 40 lbs. of weight and had to swim a ways it could easily lead to something as tragic as this.
On our team each member is responsible for his gear, I also stress on need to know how much weight it takes to sink you and then how much extra you need to get negative in order to crawl in the mud or in current to do your search, I can tell you some teams/teammembers believe you need a ton of weight to get the job done,I disagree and it can lead to major problems if overweighted.
Also I stress the need to do drydumps on land and even shallow water dumps so you know how to perform this task and I personally have my open water students ditch their weights in shallow water, not just the remove and replace.How many divers have drowned and had their weight pockets in place upon recovery, too many.
I feel there was alot that went wrong, and it is tragic and my condolences go out to the victims family and his teammembers.....

I didn't read the whole thread...so hopefully this is not redundant, but... 40 lbs of lead... is the Ranger designed to carry that much lead in ditchable pockets?

I don't use weight integrated BC's and I owned a Zeagle BC for a short period a long time ago and I was not really a fan of their somewhat unique drawstring weight ditching method, restringing it seemed to be a pain to me.

I read on this board that people have over-stuffed OTHER manufacturer's BC weight pockets and this results in them being difficult to remove, especially if the pockets are inserted when the BC is deflated and the ditching is attempted when there is air in the BC.

Is it possible that the all the Zeagle BC's were configured in a similar and inappropriate manner ("over stuffed") that precluded the ditching of the lead? That would seem like a potential explanation for "all 12 of the BC's failing to dump lead"????

Last edited:
Damn, I just listened to the police statement.

Sounds like terrible training and decisions on everyone's part. There are critical pieces of information that are missing:

When the divers got lost and went to the surface.. they were presumably OK. they decide to re-descend and try to find their way back... It is inconceivable that the two divers would not check their air pressure and communicate to each other, but there is no mention of this? Did they fail to do this and the guy ran out, very soon after reaching the bottom?

They get to the bottom and then the victim runs out and shoots for the surface. Why wouldn't the buddy try to remove the victim's lead? Telling him to do it over and over does not cut it... you do it for him if he is in distress.

The victim is offered a regulator but says he can't breath from it.. another indication (not proof) of panic...

so now his buddy is challenged with an overweighted diver, will not accept an alternate breathing source, who will not ditch his lead, can not orally or mechanically inflate his BC, is most likely overweighted to some degree, and he chooses to allow him to climb on his back and try to swim in on the surface?

Why not ditch his lead for him, or remove the scuba unit with it's integrated lead? If the diver is too stressed to use a reg, then he is not safe to be clinging to your neck. Sounds like the buddy panicked too.

Now they are swimming in, the victim is choking his buddy and "climbing his head" classic signs of panic in a drowning person...The rescuer never ditches his own lead, even when a guy is climbing his head? ... and then the victim just lets go and sinks...Makes me wonder if the rescuer didn't remove the victim from his head.

Why would the buddy not immediately re-descend and recover him from the bottom? Unless he was too freaked out and was panicked himself (or i suppose he could have been over-exerted in a mad scramble to reach the shore)....

So now another member has to swim out and locate the diver and bring him up? I can only imagine how long that took? And if they were close to shore, other members of the team should have swam out to the distressed divers on the surface with their knives and with some means of flotation. There were no distances given in the report.. how many yards from shore were they? How far did they swim in on the surface? How far from shore was the victim recovered? what were the depths? Were they wearing any redundant scuba system like a pony bottle etc?

Lastly... is this incident evidence enough for all the people on SB who claim to never having any idea why somebody would ever want to ditch lead in a hurry, either on the bottom or on the surface?

There were so many mistakes made that came out in this accident, that I would not be surprised if they did not thread the rip-cord properly and locked the cord so it could not be pulled out.

Hatul, I think that may be correct.It is possible to do that if you do not know how to properly rethread after use. The weight capacity of the Zeagle Ranger is rated at 30# front (ditchable) and 16# rear(non ditchable).
40 pounds in a lake? Personally I use 24 pounds with full kit,DUI TLS 350 with undergarments AL80 and AL19 and I am negative enough to crawl in the muck if needed and remain neutral if needed with minimal air in my drysuit.
If I dive the river weight belt added to counter the current....

Common sense would dictate removing BCD or weights but, when panic and fatigue sets in bad things can happen.....

Back
Top Bottom