Ogres: Have Layers. Parfaits- layers. Wetsuits- layers? Key Largo in March...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would a rash guard make a difference? Or would I be better off with a better under lining than a standard rash guard?

If you want warmth, then lavacore, mysterioso, or some sort of neoprene. Rashguards just protect against sun exposure and chest rash from abrasions like you would get off a surfboard. They have no thermal properties.

Even with that 3/2 + 5mm hoodedvest, byfar the best way to keep warm is to drink plenty of fluids prior to the dive and allow your body aid in keeping you warm

I dove Key Largo the last week of March 2012 in a 3mm shortie only and had no issue with getting cold on an hour long dive.

Here is my configuration for exposure protection and then into warmth here in SoFla.
I layer and have no real mobility or comfort issues.

83f and above = Aeroskin Jumpsuit/Unitard/thingie. Polyolefin.
6a4db52e3258fce7ae72d8994bf515c4.image.119x120.jpg
Below 83f down to 80f I put this Henderson 1.5mm on top.
HNDMJM.jpg
80f down to 75f I add this O'Neil 3/2 Wetsuit.

o-neil-superfreak-3-2-fullsuit.jpg
Below 75f or so down to 67f or so I add this Aqua Lung/Deep Sea Hot Head beanie hood.
hot_head_hood.jpg

Only idiots dive in water colder than 65f.
Just sayin.........

Chug
Warm water wussie.

Thanks for all the insight, everybody. I tried everything on the other day- I think I'm going to wear the shorty as an under, then the full as an over. The full is a neosport XSpan and is super stretchy.

That's exactly what I used to do and I found it to be comfortable: I get cold easily and switched over to a 7MM along with a beanie two winters ago and am loving it. If the waters are 68 degrees: a large majority of divers would be fine with the shorty under the full size wet suit as you suggest.

Thanks again, all.

I've gotten my hands on a 5mm full suit. I'm going to take that and dive that. I'm sure I'll stay toasty with it.

The older I get the colder I feel. To top things off just lost 68lbs of fat so I am sure that will make me even colder. Wanting to do a Largo trip in early March. Thinking its time to go dry - maybe the DUI 30/30.

I strongly prefer layering. I dive Lake George in summer. I layer 2 Polyoleofin (Henderson) full suits under a 3mm vest and 3mm full wetsuit. Of course hood & gloves. Way, way more flexibility and way less buoyancy than a 7mm. Water is about 50-55°F at depth and I'm fine. On Bonaire in January I used nothing but a rash guard. Almost everyone here is comfortable diving 7mm in Lake George, though there are some who use a drysuit. I can't begin to imagine putting on a 7mm in the tropics. I'd die of heat stroke before I could get to the water.

Kharon,

Got a question for you. I typically dive in 60-65 degree water and have used a variety of layering options to stay warm. Some obviously with lots of buoyancy. I actually have a lavacore full suit and I have a henderson polyolefin skin as well. I have used these mostly as a base layer and have found they do greatly help out. I haven't ever considered layering them together. How much difference do you find it makes when you layer 2 of the henderson dive skins vs having just the one? Was thinking next time I dive, I may put the polyolefin over the lava core and see what it does.

Divers Direct has a hooded vest for around $30. I haven't used it much, but it has lasted me for a couple years so far. They have a big shop in Key Largo too.

I've been diving in all week in a 5mm Neosport X-Span suit. 5mm booties, 3mm gloves. I pick up a little bit of the coolness while the water soaks into the suit for the first time, but today I was down to 104 feet under the landing pad of the Spiegel Grove and I stayed warm enough. It seems to be working out.

Also- I finished my AOW rating. Booyah!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom